Author Topic: MusicBee's "hidden" features  (Read 188973 times)

Gary Young

Quick open node in new tab
----------------------------------
Middle-Click on a node in the navigation panel opens that node in a new tab (similar to right-clicking a node > Open in New Tab).

paq

Pausing the Mini Player
----------------------------
If the Mini Player is docked to the top of your screen (right-click Mini Player > Window Settings > Top) then you can pause/unpause playback by clicking the absolute top of your screen.

Drag-n-drop from artwork and player controls panel
You can drag-n-drop the currently playing track from its artwork or the title shown just above the "seek bar". Drop it in a playlist or somewhere else!

Copy a file when using drag-n-drop to a windows folder
When dragging a file from MusicBee to a folder in windows, the default behavior is moving the file. However, if you hold Alt or Shift at the same time, the file will instead be copied. Maybe not a hidden feature in MB, but helpful nonetheless.

Copy tags and also artwork, rating, play- and skip-count.
The menu action Edit > Copy Tags will copy the tags of the selected files but leave out any artwork, ratings and the number of times the track has been played or skipped. However, you can set up a Hotkey to copy all this including tags from Preferences > Hotkeys > Edit: Copy Tags, Artwork, Play Counters and Rating.

Restarting MuscBee from a hotkey
Say you are making changes to a theater mode and you want to regularly restart MusicBee to see the effects? You can set up a hotkey for restarting MusicBee in Preferences > Hotkeys > General: Restart MusicBee.

Search box tips
To include tracks by different artists, one can type in Philter OR Sadistik or "Machinae Supremacy" + "We Are The Ocean" in the search box.
One can also type artist:SoulEye to make sure only the artist field is used when searching.
Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 05:42:39 PM by paq

redwing

Shuffle > Auto-DJ

Shuffle button in player control toggles to Shuffle Off > Shuffle On > Auto-DJ.

*Note: Many skins that apply bitmap skinning to the player controls panel have not been updated to support "Auto-DJ".  
(moderator edit)
Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 03:16:44 AM by redwing

ma_t14

Ctrl+ C/ Ctrl + V Keyboard Shortcuts
--------------------------------------

Within MusicBee's main panel view those shortcuts can be used to copy tags from any track(s) to another.
Ctrl+C inside MusicBee's main panel view and Ctrl+V anywhere outside MusicBee acts as a normal copy/paste operation.

Gary Young

A-Z Jump Bar: Enable multi-character searches
------------------------------------------------------------------
Right-click in the A-Z Jump Bar and tick the option to enable that feature.

Usually when clicking a letter in the Jump Bar it brings you to the first item which also starts with that letter (the Jump Bar will search in the column by which is currently sorted).

However, with that option enabled, you can click multiple letters one after another to get corresponding results.

For example: When your sorting is by artist, clicking "M", "E", "T", "A", "L" brings you most probably to "Metallica" (instead of only to "Megadeth" by clicking just "M").

But be quick! You only have 3 seconds to hit the next letter - otherwise the selection of previous letters will be reset.
Quite funny for testing your own reaction skills, I found out :)
Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 11:38:57 AM by Gary Young

Gary Young

Now Playing Panel: Search Box
In the Now Playing Panel you can just start typing and a search box appears. The first track matching your query will be selected. The Button "Next" brings you to the next matching track.
Note that the Now Playing Panel needs to be focused before typing (clicking the panel-header does NOT set the focus! You have to click somewhere else inside the panel).

The behaviour is exactly the same like described in the initial post "Library Explorer: Search Box"
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=7974.msg46232#msg46232

Alex Lopes

The player follows the letter.

Click anywhere in a letter (must be synchronized), playing music is performed from that point. ;)

paq

Scan monitored folders with a click
Hold Ctrl while clicking the refresh button to scan monitored folders for new files. This action is also available as a hotkey: "General: Refresh + Rescan Monitored Folders".
Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 05:20:37 AM by paq

Zak

• Global Moderator
Hold Ctrl while clicking the refresh button to scan monitored folders for new files. Ctrl+F5 also does this.
Are you sure about the keyboard shortcut? I had to set mine up manually.
Bee excellent to each other...

Gary Young

Hold Ctrl while clicking the refresh button to scan monitored folders for new files. Ctrl+F5 also does this.
I had a quick look. I've never set up a hotkey for that so I can definitely say that CTRL+F5 comes NOT as a default shortcut. Has to be set manually, like Zak says.

paq

I simply rephrased what Steven said here: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=5687.msg32775#msg32775
But as you say, it seems it needs to be set up manually. I can edit my post and once it's done any moderator can remove this following discussion to reduce clutter in this thread.

Edit: I have now edited my post above and it would be nice to see any moderator remove the following related posts that just clutters down this thread, including this one ;)
Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 11:26:24 PM by paq

Zak

• Global Moderator
In the Now Playing list click to the left of the track number to exclude it from playback.
A little minus sign will appear next to tracks that won't be played.
Bee excellent to each other...

paq

The tag <ArtistAndTitle>
-------------------
Although not available from any list, <ArtistAndTitle> is a tag that can be used and will show <Artist> - <Title> when the tags are set, otherwise it will show <Filename>
Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:27:18 AM by paq

redwing

Auto-selection of best quality among duplicates

If you tick the option for "filter out duplicates..." in the auto-playlist dialogue, the playlist chooses, by default, the best quality file of duplicates. It chooses lossless over lossy, then m4a, and if the rest are of the same format then the highest bitrate file.
Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 03:17:09 AM by redwing

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
right-click on the player bar to bring up "quick search" options for the playing track and to access the extended shuffle settings

MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together