Author Topic: Fitts Law applied to the Mini-player  (Read 5169 times)

Nosh

I love the mini-player for use while browsing, using Photoshop, or writing a paper. Plenty of control without switching windows. It's one of my favourite things about MusicBee. It's not a big deal, but I have an idea that I feel could streamline it a bit further.

The things I do most commonly with the mini-player are adjust volume and play/pause. For changing the volume, I almost never actually click the volume slider. I just shove my mouse to the top of the screen and use the scroll wheel, as doing so involves no precise action, so I don't even need to look to do it.

Currently, clicking the absolute top of the screen with the mini-player does nothing, as nothing is set there. It would be nice, I feel, to make clicking the top row of pixels play/pause MusicBee.

Keep up the good work. MusicBee is a great piece of software. :)

paq

If I haven't misunderstood you I think it would confuse people more if clicking in a space where there are no buttons pauses/unpauses playback.

I would rather have some extra pixels on the left/right edge of the Mini Player so I can drag around the Mini Player without clicking any of the controls.

Maybe you could post a picture to clarify what you mean?

Nosh

I just mean that it would be nice if the very top row of pixels paused when clicked. In other words, this would only apply when the mini-player is docked to the top of the screen. That way you would just have to put your mouse to the top of the screen and click. If it's docked you can't drag it anyway, so this doesn't remove or change any previous functionality.

Steven

• Administrator
i've done this for when the mini-player is docked to the top of the window because it was very simple to do but its not very discoverable feature so i guess only people reading this will know about it

lnminente

That's a nice improvement for advanced users. I wonder if clicking the absolute bottom of the screen when the miniplayer is docked at the botton could let us seeking the current track (Got this tip from Mikebo's dusk/dawn skins)

-Or if easier, incrementing the clickable area of the progress bar to the bottom of the miniplayer, not needing to be docked here.

Nosh

this has the change:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

Thank you so much! You're awesome. To provide a program of such quality and add features so quickly based on requests is very impressive.

I've installed the patched version and it's working wonderfully.