Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 570173 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
@Steven & AvikB - I've been thinking about this since the site went live and I think  it's time to call it to your attention.
At the bottom left of the forum and website pages is the static "Get the Latest MusicBee" with the version number, release date, and link. But that's not really the -latest- version because there are patches.

A solution might be to get rid of the words "the latest" and just have "Get MusicBee" which links to the download page. And add information on the download page with a link to the latest patch and how to install it.

I note that the download page doesn't say "latest version" so I feel the static link at the bottom of the forum and website pages should also not say "the latest." Because it usually isn't.

Comments welcome.
Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 11:27:40 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

AvikB

AvikB, here is russian localization of mb site: http://www.mediafire.com/download/cvsqcoqmmbq7bhk/ru-ru.php i've rechecked my translation twice, but anyway it could be that some strings are too long for site design, so its still possible that further corrections should be made. first i need to look at live russian site.

It is now live on the test site. There are some really long string which you might want to shorten down.

boroda

AvikB, here is russian localization of mb site: http://www.mediafire.com/download/cvsqcoqmmbq7bhk/ru-ru.php i've rechecked my translation twice, but anyway it could be that some strings are too long for site design, so its still possible that further corrections should be made. first i need to look at live russian site.
thanks. i will upload it tomorrow on the test site first and once you are sure everything is on the place ,we can upload it on the live site.
Btw, in future you might wanna use github to pull a request, that way it would be easier on me to view and accept changes.
thanks a lot for all your efforts. could you remind me url of test site?

i've found a typo again (similar to previous one): string "no_js" (don't remember line number, but its at the end of file). replace "(or it is disabled.)" by "(or it is disabled)."

AvikB

thanks a lot for all your efforts. could you remind me url of test site? i've found a typo again (similar to previous one): string "no_js" (don't remember line number, but its at the end of file). replace "(or it is disabled.)" by "(or it is disabled)."
http://www.test.getmusicbee.com

hiccup

@Steven & AvikB - I've been thinking about this since the site went live and I think  it's time to call it to your attention.
At the bottom left of the forum and website pages is the static "Get the Latest MusicBee" with the version number, release date, and link. But that's not really the -latest- version because there are patches.

A solution might be to get rid of the words "the latest" and just have "Get MusicBee" which links to the download page. And add information on the download page with a link to the latest patch and how to install it.

I note that the download page doesn't say "latest version" so I feel the static link at the bottom of the forum and website pages should also not say "the latest." Because it usually isn't.

Comments welcome.

+1:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=16894.msg116016#msg116016

AvikB

@Steven & AvikB - I've been thinking about this since the site went live and I think it's time to call it to your attention. At the bottom left of the forum and website pages is the static "Get the Latest MusicBee" with the version number, release date, and link. But that's not really the -latest- version because there are patches. A solution might be to get rid of the words "the latest" and just have "Get MusicBee" which links to the download page. And add information on the download page with a link to the latest patch and how to install it. I note that the download page doesn't say "latest version" so I feel the static link at the bottom of the forum and website pages should also not say "the latest." Because it usually isn't. Comments welcome.
+1: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=16894.msg116016#msg116016
seems a valid argument, fixed for next update.

AvikB

AvikB, i have a problem. for tag tools plugin (and only for it) the limit of 5000 chars for readme is insufficient. considering possible plugin evolution in future i would want at least 15000 limit (or no limit at all). is this possible?
i am currently working on reducing the limit, and thought i might get a clear picture.
I am now allowing 15000 characters, BUT it also counts spaces. Is that ok?

phred

• Global Moderator
Any way to make this sticky? Every time I exit the forum (even without logging out) this reverts back to 'Everyone.'

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

AvikB

Any way to make this sticky? Every time I exit the forum (even without logging out) this reverts back to 'Everyone.'
is ABSOLUTELY required since it is not possible without hacks? i am a bit busy right now with the new v2.0 website(working on ownership transfer feature).
If required i can see what i can do. but hold on till v2.0 is released. :)

phred

• Global Moderator
is ABSOLUTELY required since it is not possible without hacks? i am a bit busy right now with the new v2.0 website(working on ownership transfer feature).
If required i can see what i can do. but hold on till v2.0 is released. :)
Of course it's not required. Absolutely or not. It just seems like it -should- remember the selection. You can put this on your v2+ to-do list.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

AvikB

a new feature is added for v2.0 here is a working wip screenshot:

yup, search autocomplete for addons is coming. Ofc i didn't had this in mind for v2.0 but i had to develop it just for add-on authorship transfer system.
And though it could be easily applied to the whole site for better user experience.

Another feature coming for admin/mod is the mail notification feature.

here is full list of what i have in mind:
+Mail notification for mod/admin also the addon author will get notified when their addon is approved.
+Improved home page.
+Reducing add-on submission readme character limit
+Improved add-on category browse page with recently updated add-ons, and top most add-ons showing
+New Russian language support thanks to boroda74
+some improvement in download page

some backend stuff that i already started working on:
+Improved codebase
+Reducing code duplication (there are VERY FEW code duplication)
+and some other technical improvement.

these are pretty much what i have in mind. ofc i might have forgotten few things, you guys are feel free to remind me.
Also let me know if any feature(that makes sense) is needed(except for forum) on the site.

AvikB

@Steven & AvikB - I've been thinking about this since the site went live and I think it's time to call it to your attention. At the bottom left of the forum and website pages is the static "Get the Latest MusicBee" with the version number, release date, and link. But that's not really the -latest- version because there are patches. A solution might be to get rid of the words "the latest" and just have "Get MusicBee" which links to the download page. And add information on the download page with a link to the latest patch and how to install it. I note that the download page doesn't say "latest version" so I feel the static link at the bottom of the forum and website pages should also not say "the latest." Because it usually isn't. Comments welcome.
This is already done for v2.0

phred

• Global Moderator

This is already done for v2.0
Should the test site be reflecting this change now? I see that you added that the Patch download is now available on the downloads page, but it points to an old link.  It should point to http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_0/MusicBee3_Patched.zip
In addition, instructions for applying the patch should be added. Something similar to the second sentence in my sig.
Also, the static 'get the latest MB' at the bottom of all windows, still says "latest." I feel it should simple say "Get MusicBee"
Lastly, the download page shows the availability of a 'beta version' and points to a very old version. I think the beta section should be removed completely since Steven really doesn't issue betas.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

AvikB

Should the test site be reflecting this change now? I see that you added that the Patch download is now available on the downloads page, but it points to an old link. It should point to http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_0/MusicBee3_Patched.zip In addition, instructions for applying the patch should be added. Something similar to the second sentence in my sig. Also, the static 'get the latest MB' at the bottom of all windows, still says "latest." I feel it should simple say "Get MusicBee" Lastly, the download page shows the availability of a 'beta version' and points to a very old version. 
It is not live YET!, i will update the test site soon, maybe later this week.

I think the beta section should be removed completely since Steven really doesn't issue betas.
The beta section is there in the test website so that boroda74 can see the translations and fix them. Also it is only in the test site. not hurting anyone.

hiccup

When using the dark theme, when members use colored text in their posts, some become almost invisible or very hard to read.
For example dark-blue, and of course grey and black.
(logged-in mods under 'users online are also almost unreadable)

Would it be possible to have some replacement color for those when switched to the dark theme?