Author Topic: MusicBee for Linux (ubuntu)  (Read 115357 times)

adam

Hello,

I like very much this media player, but I was wondering are there any plans to for the linus OS such as Ubuntu?

Thanks.

adam

Oh thanks, the current players are pretty horrid, maybe minitunes being the nicest, Amorak and Clementine are horrid. Hopefully one day as linux is such a better system than Widowzzzzz.

Steven

• Administrator
Amorak or Clementine were going to be my suggestions as you see a lot of good things written about them.
I have also read good things about is DeaDBeeF
silasje1 just managed to get MB working on Ubuntu but it doesnt work very well by the sounds of it
Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 04:05:16 PM by Steven

silasje1

Amorak or Clementine were going to be my suggestions as you see a lot of good things written about them.
silasje1 just managed to get MB working on Ubuntu but it doesnt work very well by the sounds of it

It works in terms of start-up. But it is really buggy...
HDMI GTX570->YAMAHA RX-V471->DALI ZENSOR 1

Dutch Translation

WMP 12 Skin

adam

Amorak & Clementine are horrid in my opinion, I'm using minitunes at the moment on Ubuntu as the rest don't appeal, maybe just use win7 for music listening, MusicBee is easily one of the niciest, layout, skins etc.

silasje1

Amorak & Clementine are horrid in my opinion, I'm using minitunes at the moment on Ubuntu as the rest don't appeal, maybe just use win7 for music listening, MusicBee is easily one of the niciest, layout, skins etc.

http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=5344.0

i managed it to be installed... though it looks crap :P

Dutch Translation

WMP 12 Skin

saenta

I found one (for me) good player for Linux (but its just not as good as musicbee and the gui is not nice...) it is called guayadeque
http://guayadeque.org/forums/index.php
but its no all in one solution... (no ripper, not as good as tagging function)
MfG
sänta

Blinghound

I used to use 'Listen' (written entirely in Python) when I used to have Linux installed on my machine. It worked very well - it had Last.fm functionality, as well as Wiki information etc. http://www.listen-project.org/

I had a good run with Banshee, although I never really quite liked Amarok that much, despite being a competent player.

cartman005

silasje1

It is just so much easier to use Windows  :P.

muuuuch! getting MB on ubuntu work is kinda useless. :p

Dutch Translation

WMP 12 Skin

raffraffraff

MusicBee works in Linux, it's just not particularly intuitive to set up. Here's a very brief explanation of how I did it:
- Install wine and winetricks
- Run winecfg to create a default .wine folder and change the Windows version to XP.
- Use winetricks to install the requirements (not sure if all are required: dotnet40, mfc42, xmllite, d3dx9, gdiplus, vcrun2008, wmp10, windowscodecs)
- Download the portable version of MusicBee + all extras (like bass_aac.dll)
- Extract to the wine C:\ drive
- Create a shortcut that executes: wine "C:\\MusicBee\\MusicBee.exe"

What can I say, except that it works? To make it look pretty, choose a suitable font - things can look a bit weird otherwise.  I have Linux and Windows computers in my house and they all use the same version of portable MusicBee. The MB library is shared between them on a NAS, along with the music files. Furthermore, my NAS monitors the location that "Export as external playlist" uses. If it finds a new file, it runs a BASH script that parses the playlist, creates a folder structure and makes hard links to music files. (Hard links take up no additional space, are created in seconds and can be safely deleted). My Android phone does a scheduled rsync when it's connected to the home wifi. So in case you didn't catch that, to get music onto my phone:  right-click the playlist and "export as an external playlist". Ass-kickery, without the cables.

Pingaware

Raffraff, can I suggest you add your useful information to the Wiki and the How-To section on the board? I'm sure plenty of other people would benefit from it.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

raffraffraff

Hmmm, it's a bit low-quality for a wiki page. It would be much better to put together a working how-to. I'll see what I can do. Actually, I think I'll contact the developer of winetricks to see if MusicBee can be added in as a first class citizen.

raffraffraff

Actually, I think I'll contact the developer of winetricks to see if MusicBee can be added in as a first class citizen.
I don't think Steven wants the exposure, due to increased workload, pressure that would result.

Actually, I meant the winetricks developer(s).
Edit: Never mind, I get your point. But this is unsupported, and as such, would have an obvious disclaimer. Besides, only a truly thick person would contact the developer of a Windows app to complain that it didn't work on Linux. If the exposure is unwanted, then perhaps an entry on the official wiki would be less desirable than a third party app that provides a quick install method? After all, winetricks is used to install Windows Media Player, but I doubt that Bill Gates gets called when it fails to work on Ubuntu.
Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:18:02 PM by raffraffraff