Author Topic: Install Musicbee on Ubuntu (TUT)  (Read 60850 times)

silasje1

Hey all,

In this tutorial i will show you guys how you can easily install, Musicbee on Ubuntu. This how it looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd4AV5TuRQA

First you need:
-Ubuntu 11.10 (32 bits tested)

Step 1:
Then you have to install Wine HQ, open unbutu software center search for: wine windows and install "Wine Windows Program Loader", don't install the stable version (1.2) but the 1.3 version (1.3.36 doesn't work......)

Step 2:
Then when finished go to http://getmusicbee.com/download.html and install latest version of musicbee. Don't run it yet., If you want or need it you can download latest beta.

Step 3:
Now search for Winetricks (via Dash Home) and open it.

Step 4:
Press OK

Step 5:
Select First option (install DLL windows)

Step 6:
Scroll down to dotnet20, and select it and install(press ok).

Step 7:
Now wait for it to be finished installing (follow on screen install) and open up Musicbee. Now it should work ;)

STEP 8!!!:

Install also XMLLITE.DLL this seems to fix the corrupt layout!!!! PLEASE NEED FEEDBACK

Working:
-Playback
-Layout

Partly Working:
-Layout is sometimes scrambled up....
-Menus

Not working:
-Most of the prefrences screens
-Complete layout disappears after a while... don't now why
-Dropdown menus in Prefrences

TODO:
Port the player part from SteelAndBee to a new clean skin.
Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 06:25:00 PM by silasje1
HDMI GTX570->YAMAHA RX-V471->DALI ZENSOR 1

Dutch Translation

WMP 12 Skin

VX

Thanks Silasje1  :)

What about adding the Wine Team PPA, update the repositories, then install the latest Wine version available and continue with the steps described  ???

WineHQ version available in the Ubuntu repositories is usually outdated. Have a look at the short Wine changelog to see how many has changed since the version currently available in the Ubuntu repositories was released. This changelog shows the most important changes only, without the list of bugs that were fixed in every single public update. To realize that Wine has been developing very fast, see the detailed announcement about latest  update (13.36) .

silasje1

Thanks Silasje1  :)

What about adding the Wine Team PPA, update the repositories, then install the latest Wine version available and continue with the steps described  ???

WineHQ version available in the Ubuntu repositories is usually outdated. Have a look at the short Wine changelog to see how many has changed since the version currently available in the Ubuntu repositories was released. This changelog shows the most important changes only, without the list of bugs that were fixed in every single public update. To realize that Wine has been developing very fast, see the detailed announcement about latest  update (13.36) .

I will try a newer version of wine then :)... Is the tutorial good enough or does it need numbers maybe?

Dutch Translation

WMP 12 Skin

Steven

• Administrator
it would be good if you included any limitations or problems encountered as well (i think you mentioned that with the old wine version only the Windows theme skin worked well enough for example)

silasje1

it would be good if you included any limitations or problems encountered as well (i think you mentioned that with the old wine version only the Windows theme skin worked well enough for example)

I cant download the latest wine version.... i always get the 1.3.28 instead of the 1.3.36 version :s can someone help me with that?

I will add what settings make the layout look normal....

Dutch Translation

WMP 12 Skin

VX

Is the tutorial good enough or does it need numbers maybe?

I like the tutorial. I'd add some screenshots maybe, but I think the current version is very clear and informative.

What exactly problems do you have with updating Wine to the latest version  ???
I gave some information here.
Should I expand the info to help you???

silasje1

Is the tutorial good enough or does it need numbers maybe?

I like the tutorial. I'd add some screenshots maybe, but I think the current version is very clear and informative.

What exactly problems do you have with updating Wine to the latest version  ???
I gave some information here.
Should I expand the info to help you???

I will add screenshots later on.. creating a video what musicbee looks like now.  How do i update wine btw??????????

Dutch Translation

WMP 12 Skin

VX

I will add screenshots later on.. creating a video what musicbee looks like now. 

Nice :) However, I bet it works and looks much better after the Wine update  8)

quote author=silasje1 link=topic=5344.msg30055#msg30055 date=1326031936]
How do i update wine btw??????????
[/quote]

I'll try to help with this but I must admit that I havent't used Ubuntu for two years or so.

Perform this how-to before Step 1 in your tutorial.
When the Wine Team PPA is added. Go to Software Manager and update/refresh the repositories (sources).
Then search for Wine 1.3, download any missing dependencies (libraries) and follow your tutorial  :)

I hope it helps :) If not, don't hesitate to ask  :)

VX

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/how-to-add-a-ppa-to-software-sources-in-ubuntu/

Then in the terminal: sudo apt-get update

And then Step 1 form your tutorial
Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 02:43:40 PM by VX

silasje1

I have 1.3.36 now... The layout didn't change. The playback is broken sadly. So you ahve to stay with 1.3.28 from now on.

Dutch Translation

WMP 12 Skin

silasje1

Well fixed biggest issue now! The layout doesn't dissapear anymore. Please read the tut again to see what is working and what not. Also i need 1 skin developer to help me. I have 3 diffrent skins which must be partly merged.

Dutch Translation

WMP 12 Skin

VX

Well fixed biggest issue now! The layout doesn't dissapear anymore. Please read the tut again to see what is working and what not. Also i need 1 skin developer to help me. I have 3 diffrent skins which must be partly merged.

I'm glad you've managed to solve the problem :) So are you suggest that xml based skins can cause problems when working on Wine ???
I thought the biggest issue would be with the proper installation of NET.Framework... Is it possible to install NET.4 on Wine ??? I sow some GUI glitches that existed on Windows with NET.2 only, so updating to NET.4 might help.

silasje1

I'm glad you've managed to solve the problem :) So are you suggest that xml based skins can cause problems when working on Wine ???
I thought the biggest issue would be with the proper installation of NET.Framework... Is it possible to install NET.4 on Wine ??? I sow some GUI glitches that existed on Windows with NET.2 only, so updating to NET.4 might help.
The net install was easy... but there was no xml file to render the skins which broke the layout. Still the layout isnt completly finished it looks way better. It is a pain in the ass to install net 4, still wanna try again though. Maybe someone could help? Install virtualbox and download ubuntu iso.

Dutch Translation

WMP 12 Skin

VX

It is a pain in the ass to install net 4, still wanna try again though. Maybe someone could help? Install virtualbox and download ubuntu iso.

It seems that installing NET.4 on Wine is really problematic. The bug which was blocking the installation (MS .Net Framework 4.0 installer needs native msxml3) was fixed in 1.3.21  :) Although the test results are not encouraging, someone did manage to install NET.4 on Wine and what's more he was able to successfully install an application (Terraria) that required NET.4 8)

really working howto install terraria:

1. install wine (at least 1.3.19 version)
2. clear .wine folder
3. run winecfg
4. if askd - not need Gecko
5. on Audio tab under DirectSound set to Emulation
6. install Terraria (version => 1.0.6.1)
7. run wine reg delete "HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft\\NET Framework
Setup\\NDP\\v4" /f
8. get full .NET 4 from here
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17718
9. run wine dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe
10. error. nvm
11. put these files from C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\ to
Terraria folder:
Accessibility.dll
System.configuration.dll
System.dll
System.Drawing.dll
System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.dll
System.XML.dll
12. ... oh sh.. i,m ran Terraria and forgot following steps! :( but only at
this time (and only at this PC)

The problem is you'd have to copy some dll files from the Windows folder to Wine, but it's hard to tell, which ones are really needed. Maybe a debug version made by Steven would help  ???

VX

According to the WineHQ Database NET.2.0 version is the most promising one. So it's worth trying this one rather than NET.4.

Someone managed to install Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0 with ease right after installing NET.2.0 on Wine 1.3.30. I guess it works better than XMLLITE.DLL introduced in Step 8 to fix the layout issues.

Can you try with Wine 1.3. (21 and 36), NET.2.0 and Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0  ???