Author Topic: Music not in library but in library folder  (Read 1216 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
And what if you just do a search in the search box? (Make sure it's set to search entire library)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

golgothagecko

It doesn't show the file in the library.   

I'll ask the question differently - how do I fix a broken Library database?  Removing and adding a folder doesn't seem to do it. 

sveakul

You can either find MusicBeeLibrary.bak, rename it to .mbl, and replace the original .mbl with it, hoping that it too did not acquire corruption during all this, or you can delete both files and restart MusicBee--it will ask you to create a new library at that point.

I assume by now you already tried running Tools->Advanced->Compress Library, followed by Tools->Advanced->Rescan all Files.

golgothagecko

Are these files viewable to see where the DB corruption is?

sveakul

Are these files viewable to see where the DB corruption is?
You've been saying the problem files are NOT viewable.  The two actions I said to perform above work against the entire MusicBee library at once, so may make them visible there afterwards--if that's where they are.  If that is a no-go you might as well create a whole new library as I also described-- just be sure those files are actually included within the folder(s) you point to when creating it.

EDIT:  Oops, you must have been referring to the library file as far as if it's "viewable"--yes it's the file MusicBeeLibrary.mbl inside the MusicBee "Library" folder.  It's a binary file but you can open it in Notepad, do a Search and see if the lost file names appear there.  If they do, it still won't tell you anything about why they aren't showing in the GUI, if they don't, at least it confirms why you are NOT seeing them in the GUI.  Do us a favor please and actually upload one of the problem music files like Zak suggested.
Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 08:49:29 AM by sveakul

Zak

• Global Moderator
I'll ask the question differently - how do I fix a broken Library database?  Removing and adding a folder doesn't seem to do it. 
It's very unlikely to be a broken database. I've been using MusicBee for over ten years and never had a problem I had to fix by doing anything to the database file.

You could make a new (second) library to use a sandpit and try adding the missing files to that one to see if MusicBee does anything differently.
If they don't appear in that one either, it would suggest the issue lies in the files themselves.

You could also upload one to a shared DropBox, OneDrive folder etc. for other people to test.
Bee excellent to each other...

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If I click on Send to Inbox, it says the file is a duplicate.

This part has been stuck in my mind ever since you said it. Do you have "mark and send duplicates to the inbox" selected under Library preferences? (And are these tracks duplicated elsewhere in your library, such as on another album?)
MusicBee Wiki

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)

golgothagecko

If I click on Send to Inbox, it says the file is a duplicate.

This part has been stuck in my mind ever since you said it. Do you have "mark and send duplicates to the inbox" selected under Library preferences? (And are these tracks duplicated elsewhere in your library, such as on another album?)

Yes, I have this turned on.   I do have versions of the same song, ableit not the same file e.g. a live version and a studio.  The filename and artist may be tagged the same though, although the album would be different. 

MotleyG

Do you possibly have a filter turned on that is keeping you from seeing these missing files?
No
Pick one of the shortest files that you know is missing from the MB library and share it here for evaluation purposes. Something is defintiely not making any sense here. MB doesn't choose what tracks it likes and what it doesn't. Let some of the users here confirm with an actual file so we can stop guessing what might be the issue.

golgothagecko

Do you possibly have a filter turned on that is keeping you from seeing these missing files?
No
Pick one of the shortest files that you know is missing from the MB library and share it here for evaluation purposes. Something is defintiely not making any sense here. MB doesn't choose what tracks it likes and what it doesn't. Let some of the users here confirm with an actual file so we can stop guessing what might be the issue.

Here is MP3 file missing in my library but exists on filesystem: https://file.io/mWrJTZPWqth1

sveakul

Here is MP3 file missing in my library but exists on filesystem: https://file.io/mWrJTZPWqth1
"The transfer you requested has been deleted"

Is there some reason you don't just go ahead and create a new library, and so eliminating corruption in the existing *mbl file as a possible cause??  Be sure to delete the existing *mbl file(s) first to avoid confusion.

golgothagecko

Is there some reason you don't just go ahead and create a new library, and so eliminating corruption in the existing *mbl file as a possible cause??  Be sure to delete the existing *mbl file(s) first to avoid confusion.

Going to do that shortly

MotleyG

So I was able to download that file. It is a Joe Satriani track. The metadata tags are usable and it passed mp3diags without any glaring problems. I then added it to my MB library and it went up like any other file. Played fine, and the column browser was able to locate it quickly. So it isn't the file or tagging details causing this.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yes, I have this turned on.   I do have versions of the same song, ableit not the same file e.g. a live version and a studio.  The filename and artist may be tagged the same though, although the album would be different.

When you make the new library, leave that off. I think all MusicBee cares about for that is Artist and Title. I don't entirely understand its functioning, but if it's not "the" problem, it's at least not helping.

If you're ever concerned about duplicates, there's a manual duplicates manager that's probably a better approach.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)

phred

• Global Moderator
Same here:
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here