Author Topic: MusicBee's "hidden" features  (Read 188954 times)

chrisjj

So? It's the first post in the top stickied tips thread, so I think we're not the only ones who are going to read it! :)

redwing

How to add a custom icon to a playlist

playlist icon support was implemented in v3.2

add a 16x16px .png file in the same folder as the playlist, with the same name as the playlist ending in ".Icon.png"
eg.
xxxx.Icon.png

by default playlists are in:
C:\Users\<your id>\Music\MusicBee\Playlists

redwing

Custom Views vs. Custom Layouts

MB supports two levels of layout customization settings: custom views and custom layouts.
Custom view option shows up if you click on the view button ("Album" in the screenshot) and it only saves the layout of the main panel.
If you want to save the layout and settings of other elements/panels as well, you need to use "custom layouts" and it works per tab. Right click on the tab header ("Music" in the screenshot) and you will see the option. You can combine the two if you want to customize everything as a custom layout remembers which view is used in that layout. You can also pin your favorite tabs with a custom layout/view, not to repeat the setup process every time.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
As I noticed and often read, MB comes up with a lot of features which don't seem to be documented or which are not always easy to find.

If that's a concern to you, you should contribute to the wiki! See my signature
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

How to set a custom Temp folder

You can make MB use a custom temp folder instead of the default Windows Temp folder when your C drive doesn't have enough free space for a task you're about to perform. Add the following with the proper path into MusicBee3Settings.ini file.

Code
<ENV_TempFolder>E:\temp</ENV_TempFolder>

hiccup

While discussing appropriate and effective context menu's concerning another panel, and doing some investigating, I just stumbled upon this context menu:

You can right-click a track in the detail panel, and it will present all the weblinks you have setup:

I wish I had been aware of this a few years earlier.
(and I hope I will remember this tomorrow)
Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 08:20:39 PM by hiccup

phred

• Global Moderator
Do you know that the web links can appear in the details panel negating the need to right-click to see them? Select and track (in any view) and click the desired link. Although it appears that the right-click method shows -all- the links while the static list only shows the ones I selected in Track Information Settings dialog.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

Do you know that the web links can appear in the details panel negating the need to right-click to see them?

Yes, and I would think that that is how most users use them; create a weblink, and then decide that you want to give a permanent place in the details panel.
But those links will then take up space in that panel, and (in my case) will almost always require scrolling down to access them.
This right-click option makes that I don't need to setup the panel displaying these links at all.
So they are not occupying any space, and I can access them much faster.

phred

• Global Moderator
But those links will then take up space in that panel, and (in my case) will almost always require scrolling down to access them.
This right-click option makes that I don't need to setup the panel displaying these links at all.
So they are not occupying any space, and I can access them much faster.
Very good point.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Pingaware

Toss up between posting here and yet another post in the appreciation thread in general. But I've just been reminded (for the umpteenth time in nearly ten years) how incredible MB is with the "Keep tracks in sequence when shuffling" option under Settings for each individual track. I was used to it working in normal shuffle (and I'm 95% sure in a shuffled auto-DJ too), but I just found out that the setting applies even if you're just adding tracks to the queue and choosing to shuffle the queue itself.

It's a superb feature everyone should know about.

And Steven, you are superb.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
MB allows the user to create synchronized lyrics manually.

This is the 2nd time that an old @Redwing post has helped me discover a MB feature I had no idea existed- the first relating to movie backdrops. It's amazing how I can now do pretty much every music-related task without leaving MB. While it's unfortunate that Redwing is no longer active on this forum, I'm grateful for the contribution he had during his time here.
Favourite song at the moment:   Decode by Paramore

decard

Sorting Track Detail / Album and Tracks views on multiple columns
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eg to sort tracks first by artist name, then year of release:

* Click the first column header to sort as normal
* Hold Ctrl when clicking the second and subsequent columns to sort by

MB will show a little number in the header to indicate the sorting order applied:

excellent tip. will endeavour to remember. actually, i will give it a try out shortly. thanks.