Author Topic: MusicBee Remote (Remote Control for Android)  (Read 497027 times)

Roadrunner

Roadrunner I could probably make it close the connection with the connection button.  However there are a lot of possible issues that could arise with the second part, so I believe that the exit menu option would be better because it gives the user the option to either let the application run in the background or completely close it. On the other hand if there is an exit option the application would disconnect on exit. Would there be a cause where someone would need to disconnect the application manually and let it running in the background?
It was just an idea to prevent unnecessary buttons. Until now, you did a very good job including the great looking and functional design. So, if you think it's better, the menu option is fine as well. The only reason to keep the app AND connection running might be, that if you start it again, you don't loose the small time needed to refind the server.

kelsos

For the major part of the new design you have my friend Tasos to thank, he did a great job far greater than I could ever do. I am responsible for the actionbar along with incorporating some ideas I really liked from the Apollo player (CyanogenMod).

I would probably add an exit option to the menu, since it will be hidden inside the overflow button it won't add anything on the layout.

Actually a possible reason to keep the app running and connected is the volume reduction on incoming call.

XSite

I'm Impressed first of all, there are several remotes out there, but most of them don't really support MusicBee and this one is quite comfortable in that you can regulate the audio through a bar, and see the playing list!
Big Thanks.

I note that the Playlist won't work for the auto DJ, that one small bug, but other then this it works block solid!

Wonderful work!

edit:
Well let me correct what I just said, it only poses a Problem to have last.fm songs in the play-list, when I start the DJ without last.fm it works perfectly.
Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 04:10:27 PM by XSite

silasje1

For the major part of the new design you have my friend Tasos to thank, he did a great job far greater than I could ever do. I am responsible for the actionbar along with incorporating some ideas I really liked from the Apollo player (CyanogenMod).

I would probably add an exit option to the menu, since it will be hidden inside the overflow button it won't add anything on the layout.

Actually a possible reason to keep the app running and connected is the volume reduction on incoming call.

If you like Apollo look at the Google Music player! it has a very nice 3D view in panorama with albums!
HDMI GTX570->YAMAHA RX-V471->DALI ZENSOR 1

Dutch Translation

WMP 12 Skin

Iasc

Just had to uninstall and reinstall as the remote wouldn't work any more, no idea what why ???.

some suggestions and hopes i have are
1- a plus and minus button to control volume.
2- access to playlists in music bee.
3- (as i generally use playlists that are quiet large) when now playing is opened, it opens on the currently playing track instead of the first track.
4- an option the have the now playing list grouped by artist and by selecting the artist it then shows what tracks the artist has in the playlist.

either way this remote is top notch and am getting a lot of use out of it.

thanks

kelsos

what do you mean by it wouldn't work? no connection for example? did the reinstall fix it?

plus and minus to control the volume? you mean icons on the sides of the bar? you could use your device's hardware buttons on the main view for this.

the ability to access playlists is on the planned features for the future. At the moment I am reworking the way now playing works to make it more resilient to missing tags, plus the ability to remove tracks from the list. Also plan on adding a search functionality to give users the ability to locate tracks easier in the now playing.

I ll try to figure out how to do the focusing on the current track.

Roadrunner I was doing some research on adding an exit option (killing the process) in the application it seems though that this practice is frowned upon. The suggested android way is that you exit the application either by pressing the back button or by the home button and the operating system decides if and when it wants to close the process. So effectively if I do it the right way, the exit functionality will be no the same as pressing the back or home button, it would probably continue to appear on either the running or cached process for a while after exiting until Android decides to actually terminate it.

Iasc

there was no messages are anything like that, i simply wouldn't connect, i wish i could explain it better but i have no idea what happened. i reinstalled using google play and once i entered my ip and port it worked again. icons to control the volume is what i was thinking but i didn't realise  the phone volume buttons worked with the remote, obvious now that i think about it :-[

kelsos

Well at some point someone had requested the ability to control the volume with the volume buttons, though I don't remember who it was, and since it was relatively easy to implement I did it.

Roadrunner

Roadrunner I was doing some research on adding an exit option (killing the process) in the application it seems though that this practice is frowned upon. The suggested android way is that you exit the application either by pressing the back button or by the home button and the operating system decides if and when it wants to close the process. So effectively if I do it the right way, the exit functionality will be no the same as pressing the back or home button, it would probably continue to appear on either the running or cached process for a while after exiting until Android decides to actually terminate it.
Thx for your research. Of course, this is the usual way to leave an app and works fine with your app as well. Strange that there's no way to tell Android "it's not neccessary to keep me running after leaving", but it fits to Google...

alvaro357

Hello, I'm astonished with this app. I'm using it to classify my music collection and in order to that I suggest you to include a way to classificate the song tant is playing.

Thank you for your work. :)

kelsos

Alvaro could you explain to me what do you exactly mean by a way to classificate?

Also a small preview of the current development version http://youtu.be/7xkmgUbiF5w along with this the new development version is more forgiving to missing tags. 

Saragis

Hi there. I love the idea but I can't get the app to connect on my Desire HD.
I have Musicbee (2.0.4663) set to filter nothing and the app set on my private IP address, both on port 3000.
I get the timeout message. Anything obvious I'm missing? Thanks for your time.

Maleko12

FINALLY!!!!! Finally got it to work. And somewhat embarrassed on what the issue was: I was simply putting in the wrong IP address. I had to go to the address my service provider has for my service, go to "Statistics" and look up what they consider the IP address (doesn't show up on an ipconfig/all search, which is really weird).

So... I have to say this works great thus far. Probably may be able to use SubSonic on MB as well.

kelsos

nice maleko. 

Hello Saragis, on the next version of the plugin I am working on a way to check if the plugin is running through the browser to make it easier to troubleshoot.  At the moment you could test it locally to see if the plugin is operating properly with http://sockettest.sourceforge.net/.
Get the binary version of the Socket Test app extract it in a folder and run the exe. Also start MusicBee. On socket test go to the client tab and on the connect to -> IP address set 127.0.0.1 (for the local host) and 3000 (or generally the port that the plugin uses for connections).  Then press connect and go to the message field. In the message field write "<player/>" (without quotes). you should see something like this --> S: <player/>
<player>MusicBee</player>

If it won't connect then for some reason the plugin is not working. One cause could be that the port is in use if you try a different port without success then I have no idea but I could try to send you a version of the plugin with logging enabled to figure out what goes wrong.

If it connects on the other hand it could be an issue with the router. Some routers feature a mode where the isolate the wireless clients so that they cannot access directly other clients on the network, or It could be a firewall issue.

Another test that could be done with SocketTest is to close MusiBee go to the server tab let IP 0.0.0.0 and set port 3000 and then press start listening. After this go to your device and press connect... if everything works ok you should see a connection from your mobile device's IP and a request for <player> on the logging textarea.

Saragis

Alright so the plugin appears to be working well. So it might be a router issue.. (which, considering that my homegroup function in windows stopped working a while ago, might not be so strange). Changing the port didn't help either.

I'd appreciate it if you sent me that version with logging enabled if possible, but if you think the problem is most likely router related don't bother.

The second test you proposed didn't succeed. I never got my phone to connect.  :-\