Author Topic: Migrated from WMP and missing features  (Read 1848 times)

SimonGoback

Hey guys. Been using WMP since Windows XP. Now I decided to take the plunge onto something else. I set up for hours my MusicBee, and I have it almost running as well as WMP (although it lacks search features I like and the tabbing is.. bizarre).

However, one feature I used constantly that I lack here: on WMP if I load a new playlist, I can hit the back button and it will return me to the previous playlist - at the exact timestamp of the song I was in. And it saves literally every playlist I've been in. If I played 6 playlists in a row I can scroll back through all of them and pick off where I left off, or go back in.

This is integral for me because I'm a game developer, I often open sound effect and music files, check they're fine for a few seconds, then hop back to my previous playlist exactly where I left off. I don't want to have to go tracking down my previous song and looking where I was stuck. I've only had the application for about 2 hours and I've already encountered this problem 5-6 times.

Any way to solve this?

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
This is integral for me because I'm a game developer, I often open sound effect and music files, check they're fine for a few seconds, then hop back to my previous playlist exactly where I left off. I don't want to have to go tracking down my previous song and looking where I was stuck. I've only had the application for about 2 hours and I've already encountered this problem 5-6 times.

Any way to solve this?

This should be a doddle for you, as you are already involved in development, but here are a few pointers!
But only two hours into using MusicBe, you have quite a bit to learn, but all the basics are here:-

https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/MusicBee_Wiki

If you want to switch between the Now Playing Tab to a list of tracks just recently played, then try using an Auto-playlist..

https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Playlists (scroll down to auto-playlist).

EXAMPLE
From the MusicBee Menu - File > Playlists > New Auto-Playlist

• name: JUST PLAYED
 • music track source: Library (music library)
 • match: All of the following rules
   Last Played is in the last 1 days
   Limit to 100 items selected by: most recently played
 • shuffle: do not shuffle
 • select by: track
 • automatically refresh the matching tracks

When launched, this will created a TAB, that can be locked onto the Tool bar right next to the Now Playing TAB

Freddy
Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 01:21:49 PM by Freddy Barker

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

One thing MusicBee doesn't do is maintain multiple Playing Tracks lists. It also doesn't remember where you were at in a playlist the last time you played it. I think the exact functionality you're talking about would require a plugin.

You might be able to get close with some creativity, though. One thing would be to universally set the "remember last playback position" setting so that tracks pick up where they left off.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

JZStudios

the plugin already exists:

https://getmusicbee.com/addons/plugins/198/playlist-history/
Bingo. I've been using it, but it doesn't work 100% of the time, and it seems to break if you have your playlist shuffled, at least for me. I just play through all artists and shuffle them, so when I'm listening to that and start another song, then go back, it goes back to the song that was previously playing and the position, but the rest of the list seems to be reset in order, and toggling through the shuffle modes doesn't re-shuffle.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

phred

• Global Moderator
I've been using it, but it doesn't work 100% of the time, and it seems to break if you have your playlist shuffled, at least for me. I just play through all artists and shuffle them, so when I'm listening to that and start another song, then go back, it goes back to the song that was previously playing and the position, but the rest of the list seems to be reset in order, and toggling through the shuffle modes doesn't re-shuffle.
You should post the issue on the plugin's thread (in the plugin sub-forum) so the author will have a better chance of seeing it.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

JZStudios

I've been using it, but it doesn't work 100% of the time, and it seems to break if you have your playlist shuffled, at least for me. I just play through all artists and shuffle them, so when I'm listening to that and start another song, then go back, it goes back to the song that was previously playing and the position, but the rest of the list seems to be reset in order, and toggling through the shuffle modes doesn't re-shuffle.
You should post the issue on the plugin's thread (in the plugin sub-forum) so the author will have a better chance of seeing it.

I have. Well, on his Reddit post anyways. He's looking into it. I was just giving some.. experience... advice... notes on how it currently works.

phred

• Global Moderator
I have. Well, on his Reddit post anyways. He's looking into it. I was just giving some.. experience... advice... notes on how it currently works.
Posting it to Reddit doesn't help anyone here who doesn't use Reddit.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

Posting it to Reddit doesn't help anyone here who doesn't use Reddit.

Have you seen the OP's signature?

phred

• Global Moderator
Have you seen the OP's signature?
My reply was from my phone and sigs don't show when using the 'mobile version' of the forum.

But looking at the sig now, it appears those are commercial links. (I'm not going to any of those sites.)

So this thread is locked until the OP communicates with the moderators via PM. We (the moderators) can delete content from a post, but AFAIK not from a profile sig.

I have sent the OP a PM asking the links in the sig be removed by Friday or the thread will be deleted.
Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 01:11:40 PM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki