Author Topic: Different Column View Layout per Library/Filter  (Read 7258 times)

CharkleyBarles

Sorry if the title doesn't make sense. Here is my problem:

I'm getting into some classical music, and have decided to make a separate library just for them (although if you fix this I might just make a filter).

Now on my other music library, my columns are like this | Year | Artist | Album|, and I would like my classical library/filter to be | Genre | Composer | Album|, but every time I change it, it changes it everywhere. So my regular library now has the classical column layout. I'd like to be able to have different columns per library/filter.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You can set up a view, save it to a custom view, and then apply it to a filter (permanently, if you do it in the filter settings).  Then it will not affect the main library view.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

CharkleyBarles

Fuck, man. Every time I post here you've already thought of it. Why can't you let me find something negative about MusicBee?

CharkleyBarles

Actually I don't know if it's working. I've set the filter view, and did "Genre Category [is] Classical", but no albums are showing up and the filter view changes back.

Anti

It does work.

First get the latest version of 2.4x, as it contains a recent small fix related to using custom views:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_4/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

Now let's be sure we know what we're referring to. There are two different features involved:
Filter nodes listed in the left side panel, which control what tracks are listed in the main panel.
and
Custom views accessed by the small 'layout' button next to the search box, which control the columns and sorting.

Set-up your filter node for classical:
- Right-click on the 'music' node at the top of the left panel -> new filter
- Right-click on the new filter called 'Filter (1)' -> rename to 'classical'
- Right-click on the new 'classical' filter -> edit filter

Ensure 'display using view' is set to 'default' for just now. You'll change this later.
Input your rule Eg. genre is classical
Save it.
Select it. The classical tracks should be listed in the main panel. If they're not, then something is wrong with your tags.

Now to get your custom view...
· Left-click the small 'layout' button next to the search box -> custom views -> copy current view settings to
· In the dialogue, type the name for your custom view. Eg. Classical.mbv
  When you click 'save', you should now have both the 'Classical' filter node *and* the 'custom view -> Classical' selected.
· At this point you edit your columns and sorting. The changes automatically get saved to the 'Classical' view.

Finally, right-click on the 'classical' filter node -> edit filter
Change 'display using view' from 'default' to 'classical'.

CharkleyBarles

Alright, well, I got the music to show up in the filter, but I'm still fucking up somewhere with the custom view. I updated MusicBee, and I made this gfy to show my ineptitude: http://gfycat.com/NervousPlushAfricanbushviper

Ignore the "Classical Filter" view, I just forgot to delete that before I recorded.

redwing

That's column browser, not the main panel. Then you don't need a custom view for that.
Right-click on the column browser header> Use "Sort by" fields and select your preferred sorting set. You can also customize those sets.

CharkleyBarles

Right but I want to set a different view for each filter/library. I don't want to have to right-click and sort every time I switch filters or libraries. I want to click on my filter and have it already sorted the way I want it.

redwing

OK, I posted the same wish a while ago that requests custom views to remember specific column browser setting: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=8157.0