Author Topic: Update to included skins for next release  (Read 7162 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'd been debating whether to offer this suggestion, but since others have mentioned it in passing, and folks here seem to be pretty good about not getting their noses bent out of shape, I decided to go ahead.

Given the number and quality of skins now available, I think the included skins could use an update.  I would think 10-15 (not counting variations on the same skin) would be an ideal number.  The currently included skins are backed up at the pbworks site and still available for download.

redwing's Fine-Tuned Dark would be a great upgrade to Dark Variations.  Many of the Metro skins seem to be popular and should probably be included, etc.  I don't know how exactly we'd go about choosing so that there was good representation of creators and styles but I think it's doable.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

VX

+1
Skin files are quite small, so no need to remove anything before the update.

BTW. I noticed two new skins bundled with the 2.1 installer: Mellon Remix and WMP 12 (I'm not sure about the last one as it's not in the latest version available).

Steven

• Administrator
please dont let my comments close down any discussion.
The reason i havent done this is because there are so many new skins and dont want people to get upset because there skin is not included or has been replaced by another. There is a link in the MusicBee application that points people to the forum topic if they want to find more skins.
Thinking about it, i should have made the link to the new Wiki Skins topic but maybe too late now.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I just think including TOO many skins is overwhelming for new users.

I wouldn't have noticed if Mellon Remix was included.  Cool!  *blushes*

And I know Silas updated WMP12, so that's probably why.

@Steven, probably best to keep the link to the forum, since new skins are sure to be there, but not necessarily in the wiki yet.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

VX

Thinking about it, i should have made the link to the new Wiki Skins topic but maybe too late now.

Excellent idea! I think it's never too late for a step forward  :)
IMHO it would close the discussion and every skin creator would be satisfied that his work is shown in public and can be easier found and commented by new users.

Updating the Wiki when a new skin is released seems much easier than updating MB installer with every new MB release.

Update:
Link to the Skins Wiki Gallery: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Skins
I would locate it between View/Skins/'Preview' and 'Find more skins'.
Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:03:15 PM by VX

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
BTW. I noticed two new skins bundled with the 2.1 installer: Mellon Remix and WMP 12
there are so many new skins and dont want people to get upset because there skin is not included or has been replaced by another
I wouldn't have noticed if Mellon Remix was included.  Cool!

Your first skin and it gets included in the 2.1 installation. We don't need to guess who the favourite on the board is  ::)  :P
(tongue is planted firmly in cheek  ;D  )
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I think you can take at least half the credit, there.  :)
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
@ scampbll
I think of Mellon Remix as the culmination of a MB community effort:
DreadM's (aka BinghiFire on MB) original MM skin
your idea to re-do it for MB
my fleshing out those ideas on Scamelon
your re-working of that to create Mellon Remix

besides being a great skin, I want to believe that the communal effort was a major factor for including the skin

MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Fair enough.  :)  I didn't realize DreadM = BinghiFire, cool!
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

VX

Including Skins Wiki Gallery: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Skins between View/Skins/'Preview' and 'Find more skins' would stop such discussions for good.

I strongly support the idea of including Wiki Gallery where all skins are shown in one place, full size (after two mouse clicks) and everyone has a chance to preview, download and comment on the proper forum thread. Adding a skin presentation to the Wiki is easy and can be done immediately by its author despite MB updates.

The Wiki created by scambll is much more useful for this than searching for more skins on the forum. There is everything in one place:
a screenshot, a download link, a short description by the author, a direct link to the proper forum thread for comments and feedback...
Forget about digging on the forum to find a current screenshot of a skin or browsing a few pages to find a working download link...

One of the greatest advantages of Wiki is that everyone can update it.
What I miss in Skins Wiki Galery is a way to highlight recently updated/added skins, but I think it could be done at a later date.

Thanks for consideration  :)

silasje1

I just think including TOO many skins is overwhelming for new users.

I wouldn't have noticed if Mellon Remix was included.  Cool!  *blushes*

And I know Silas updated WMP12, so that's probably why.

@Steven, probably best to keep the link to the forum, since new skins are sure to be there, but not necessarily in the wiki yet.
The version of WMP 12 in MB 2.1 is quite old! The progressbar is from one of the first versions :o Could you update this steven?
HDMI GTX570->YAMAHA RX-V471->DALI ZENSOR 1

Dutch Translation

WMP 12 Skin

Steven

• Administrator
@silasje1, i will include the latest WMP skin version in the link on the main downloads page when i update it in the next day or so

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It appears the Dark Variation skins don't work correctly with the new Modern player layout options.  Some views use the default crimson colors instead of the correct skin colors.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
It appears the Dark Variation skins don't work correctly with the new Modern player layout options.  Some views use the default crimson colors instead of the correct skin colors.
can you give me a specific example of an element that doesnt work as i cant see anything wrong

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It's the progress bar:

That's a new portable installation, straight out of the box.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)