Author Topic: Create an Inbox Wizard for moving files to Library step by step  (Read 7149 times)

VX

Inbox is a really great feature of MusicBee, but taking into consideration number of questions about it on the forum it's hard to understand for many users. It seems few users only take full advantage of its huge managing and organizing files capabilities.

Creating a step by step Inbox Wizard for moving files from Inbox to Library with tagging and organizing options would be a great addition to MB.
Some steps could be optionally skipped, but it would make managing files a lot easier.

A step by step Wizard would be used much more often than the current solution no matter how many how-to's are written and questions asked on the forum to explain the Inbox idea.

Xyzzy

Isn't inbox just an item to hold newly added files? What actions could there be in the wizard, that are not already in preferences?

VX

Isn't inbox just an item to hold newly added files? What actions could there be in the wizard, that are not already in preferences?

The main reason for creating an Inbox Wizard is not to add new actions but simplify the process of using Inbox. Just use a 'Search' feature on the forum to make sure how many users don't understand how to deal with newly added tracks and albums. They keep posting very similar questions such as how to move tracks from Inbox to Library, what is Inbox for etc.

Those who don't need a Wizard could skip it or disable permanently, but it could advice what actions to perform step by step for new users.
When Inbox is selected a Wizard appears and suggest to run:
1) A Duplicate Manager (I have many duplicated in Inbox and always perform this action first);
2) then 'Tag Manager' could start:
a) show files with missing tags and update (auto-tag) them;
b) show files with missing artwork and update them
c) show files with small artwork and suggest to find a better one;
d) show files with missing lyrics and update;
e) show files with inconsistent tags;
f) adjust volume with the analyzer;
3) then File Organizer could start and perform what it is made for;
4) then Format Converter...

As you can see there is no new actions here.

Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:57:17 PM by VX

jistme

I once suggested something like that, but called it car-wash ;-)
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=6712.msg38656#msg38656

Maybe we can already name it beforehand: "Car Wash Wizard"?

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
OP, neat idea. +1
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

VX

Thanks for your comments  :)
BTW. This is one of the latest posts showing that the current Inbox implementation can cause problems and uncertainty for new users:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=9855.0

The topic title is cryptic, but the reason is explained in Reply no. 4:

I think it's fixed. It seems that when they are in the inbox that's when only 11500 are recognized. I did a uninstall/reinstall and only used library and can now see all my music. Go figure!!

VX

It seems that the Inbox feature commonly causes issues for new users (or those who don't do much organising). I don't know why these files have been added to the Inbox and not the Library (I have it set to add new files to the Library, not the Inbox). Presumably it's partly to do with duplicates? That doesn't explain at least 75% of them though.

Is there a way to move files from the Inbox to the Library that I'm not seeing? I've tried right click Inbox > Choose Library > click on my only library. It pops up, but the files are still not there, and remain in the Inbox.

Starting to feel like there's a really obvious cause for my problem now, and I'm too dumb to notice it.

Yet another example. One of the two from yesterday.

Xyzzy

Isn't it simpler just to disable Inbox in the default configuration, so that it is not used/displayed?
Anyone interested in it could turn it on in Preferences.

ma_t14

Isn't it simpler just to disable Inbox in the default configuration, so that it is not used/displayed?
Anyone interested in it could turn it on in Preferences.

No, I think Inbox is one of the better features of MusicBee if used correctly and its usage should be encouraged somehow, not hidden. If you make it as an option, hidden somewhere in preferences I highly doubt anyone would easily find out about it let alone use it as intended.

Zak

• Global Moderator
If it's confusing so many people it's hard to see why it should be the default mode of operation, however useful it is for people who do understand it.
People migrating from other programs expect to just create a library, point it at their music folder and be done with it.

Maybe the MusicBee installer could have a screen asking the user which mode they want by default, with a brief explanation of the difference.
Bee excellent to each other...

Steven

• Administrator
I am not planning to change the Inbox behavior as I dont accept it is confusing a lot of people just because a few people have reported issues around it on the forum, some of which related to a bug in 2.0 around hiding duplicates in the Inbox.
Infact i think it is a good feature and not difficult for the majority of people to understand. You wont see them posting here to say its useful and wouldnt have discovered it if it was not enabled by default.
Also now the wiki is well under way, it will help with explaining its purpose for those who need help.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yup, that's one of the things I'm making sure to include.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)