Author Topic: Galaxy Nexus with Jellybean won't sync playcount/last updated  (Read 7907 times)

ottopilot

Apologies if this was already covered, I tried reading old threads before posting.

I got both my iPod 5.5G and Galaxy Nexus to successfully sync with MB 2.1.4873 on Win7.  Tests show that the 2-way sync with the iPod is successfully sending playcount and Last Played back to MB, but it's not working for the Galaxy Nexus.  This is a problem for me because I have many playlists that take advantage of that metadata to rotate what I listen to, and have become increasingly dependent on listening with my phone to avoid carrying an extra device.

I read in some old posts that there are inherent design flaws in how Android handles playcounts, so I wonder if that is outdated info or if this is still a known issue.  The checkbox is there for 2-way playcount sync, so I assume that the feature was added.  I've used iSyncr with iTunes and that works great, but iTunes for Windows is such a performance dog that I am hoping this can get resolved.  The playcounts on the files on the device all say 0 and the last played is "Unknown".

I tried with the patch but that broke iPod sync, it would say F:\Music was inaccessible even though the device settings had it going to the default path (I believe "Ipod_control\Music").

BTW, thanks for this impressive application.

jimmybusta

Did this ever get resolved?
What player are you using on your nexus?

I just got musicbee and I'm beginning the tweaking process.
I use Music PlayerPro on my S3. I think ratings sync with mine, but I don't think the play counts are updating, as well as when the file was played.
Quite the bummer for my active playlists.

I'd appreciate any help from you, if you have found anything out.

ottopilot

No, sadly, no resolution.  I use stock Play Music on my phone.

What I gathered from other threads is that Android doesn't track play counts, so there's no way for MusicBee to tell if a track has been played.  With iTunes, I was using iSyncr, and that did the trick, so it must be using it's own internal trick to keep track of plays.  There is no equivalent app for MusicBee to tell the desktop that a song was played, and it's not stored in the tags.

Since I didn't get any response from Steven (presumably, because it's out of scope with what Musicbee supports), I've learned to live with it. What I gained from switching to MusicBee outweighs this one negative, and I've learned to just consistently bring my iPod Classic with me to the car (I listen with the desktop client at home).  I still listen on my phone sometimes, it's just that my dynamic playlists that use play count as a criteria aren't going to get updated.  Instead, I just sync over playlists with my highest-rated songs, or new stuff - playlists not affected by number of plays or date last played.

Steven

• Administrator
apparently if you use PlayerPro on an android device, that app can create an XML file that can be used for synching:
Settings, Library, Settings, Music library, Export music stats, Songbird
if someone can send me the XML file it creates and let me know which folder its in i might be able to do something

cjhammel

The way I have worked around the issue with Androids is to use the App "Simple Last.fm Scrobbler"  then I have MusicBee pull my last.fm play count data on start up.  This way I always have the latest last played date in MusicBee.

ottopilot

Hi Steven,  I'll try getting PlayerPro up and running and will send you the data it generates.  Hopefully the trial version has that feature.

cjhammel, thanks for the workaround. Pretty clever, actually.  Maybe I'll try that as a last resort. Unfortunately one time I sync'd my wife's iPod to my last.fm account (I blame the last.fm client + multiple iTunes libraries), so my play counts are a bit off in last.fm.

ottopilot

Initial export:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1675475/exported_Tue_Oct_29_214542_Songbird.xml

Export after ~30 mins of plays:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1675475/exported_Tue_Oct_29_225018_Songbird.xml

I have to say, it seems it will be a bit of a pain to sync the files in Musicbee, import the XML file into PlayerPro, and export it when I'm ready to sync back. Unless you can make the import into/export from PlayerPro part of the MusicBee sync process.  Let me know if there's any other way I can help.