Author Topic: Metro Skins  (Read 124270 times)

silvestreccf

JMoss

I will push an update in a few days  ;)

It will fix some errors (e.g. Downloads bar), missing elements (search res icon), it will improve players' consistency and so on.

JMoss

Ok, I dropped the bomb, hope you will enjoy it  :D

silvestreccf

Amazing, very very nice,
but i have a question,  it's something I've been trying a long time, it is possible to make a completely white theme.?
without the black top bar title?

endeavour1934

Very nice! It looks really elegant  ;D

BTW, a few things you should check out:
 - Vertical alignment of elements on the player bar (with different font sizes). EQ button for example looks misaligned. If you are still using the same images as in previous versions, it's very hard to get them to align properly for every size. When I made my skin I modified your player images/buttons to have the same height, that way they are always correctly aligned, whatever font size you choose.
- Alignment of the spectrum visualizer on the player bar (with different font sizes)
- 1px white border on the left of the progress bar on the classic skin.
- Skin size in KB. This is obviously a minor problem. I compressed all my skin images again in Photoshop using the "save for web > PNG (24bit)" option. It went down in size from 260KB to just 55KB.
Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 08:39:44 PM by endeavour1934

JMoss

Very nice! It looks really elegant  ;D

BTW, a few things you should check out:
 - Vertical alignment of elements on the player bar (with different font sizes). EQ button for example looks misaligned. If you are still using the same images as in previous versions, it's very hard to get them to align properly for every size. When I made my skin I modified your player images/buttons to have the same height, that way they are always correctly aligned, whatever font size you choose.
- Alignment of the spectrum visualizer on the player bar (with different font sizes)
- 1px white border on the left of the progress bar on the classic skin.
- Skin size in KB. This is obviously a minor problem. I compressed all my skin images again in Photoshop using the "save for web > PNG (24bit)" option. It went down in size from 260KB to just 55KB.

Thank you SO much for this super detailed feedback! It has been incredibly useful.
I should have solved all of the issues except for the 1px white border in the classic skin (which is bugging me a lot).
I optimized the bitmap used for the skin and the size of the skins went down to 113KB, but eventually I will optimize the base64 images too.
Other than this, I fixed the border of the splashscreen (go away, stupid rounded borders!).
Thanks again :D

JMoss

Amazing, very very nice,
but i have a question,  it's something I've been trying a long time, it is possible to make a completely white theme.?
It is, and I think you're doing a great job with it ;)

EDIT: Just did a small update to add NoArtwork img and optimised b64 files
Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 03:39:10 PM by JMoss

silvestreccf

Amazing, very very nice,
but i have a question,  it's something I've been trying a long time, it is possible to make a completely white theme.?
It is, and I think you're doing a great job with it ;)

EDIT: Just did a small update to add NoArtwork img and optimised b64 files

DO You know the exact size of an image to create a Splash screen?  I dont want the name of another skin in those that I do, even with your original idea and Endeavor.

I liked the black tone you gave the new MetroSkim.

Would be good if we had more control over the Spectrum, the big one its nice, should be in center of the player.

Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 07:30:27 PM by silvestreccf

JMoss

DO You know the exact size of an image to create a Splash screen?  I dont want the name of another skin in those that I do, even with your original idea and Endeavor.

Would be good if we had more control over the Spectrum, the big one its nice, should be in center of the player.

Well, I honestly do not know if 360x280 is the intended right size, but it works pretty well with my splashscreen, so I would suggest to stick it ;)
I'm glad you like the new tone. Actually I have been inactive on the forum for a long time and I didn't know of a lot of new skinnable elements. I think that the square corners gave me the possibility to enhance a lot the look&feel of this skin.
As for the spectrum, I fail to understand what you would like to do :D

silvestreccf

Well, I honestly do not know if 360x280 is the intended right size, but it works pretty well with my splashscreen, so I would suggest to stick it ;)
I'm glad you like the new tone. Actually I have been inactive on the forum for a long time and I didn't know of a lot of new skinnable elements. I think that the square corners gave me the possibility to enhance a lot the look&feel of this skin.
As for the spectrum, I fail to understand what you would like to do :D

My English is bad

As I am not american, I have to use translators, I think, thats why, nobody understands what I put on wishlist topic.

about  Spectrum Visualization, it was only an observation.
MusicBee has two type of Spectrum Visualization, a small editable
and large.

I think the big one its beautiful, and it would be nice if we could put it where the small one is.

I think I  complicateted much more.

Could you understand what I say in this topic:?
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=12822.0

silvestreccf

Making some changes, I really like your Black Tom

Hope you like this one

HHM

This skin is sooooo beautiful!!

There are, however, 3 things that could be improved:

1. (minor) The little white square on the progress bar is unnecessary, it would look much nicer (and more in metro/modern style) if it was in one of 2 progress bar colours (so blue or gray).

2. (minor) As you can see, the circle around play/pause button is flat at the bottom. I think it can be caused by lower resolution of my screen (1366 x 768), in which one layer of the skin (progress bar) goes onto another (button)

3. (important) Tabs require some small redesign, as now it is really difficult to tell the active tab from the others. Personally I would suggest a similiar solution Bee-liever did in his skin here: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=13126.0
>> Not only the inactive tabs are faded (but still readable), but also their borders blend with the background, which is very metro/modernish imho :)

Anyways, great thanks for your fantastic work!

Bolgars

Hello!
I'm new to MusicBee since I installed the program yesterday. MusicBee is awesome. Especially MetroSkin caught my attention; couldn't resist to install it immediately. JMoss, I want to thank you for creating such an amazing skin. IMHO, you did better job than a whole bunch of designers working for such a big companies as Apple or Microsoft.

However, something must've gone wrong since I don't get the same results as seen in a first screenshot of this thread. Specifically, I get a different font in the "Artist - Title" section. I would love to see the beautiful, minimalistic font I've seen in the screen captures. Secondly, it would be great if the built-in MusicBee icon in the upper left corner could be replaced by the toolbar as intended by JMoss. Moreover, I would like to have this useful set of icons just above the album artwork of the Connels (as can be seen in the first screenshot below).

Here's what I would exactly like to have:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxECId4y8IMKVzV6M01rbDZXSU0/edit?usp=sharing

Here's what I have:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxECId4y8IMKcTI0WnA5cUZMT1E/edit?usp=sharing

I also tried installing Google Play skin by JMoss. It's superb. However, there are similar toolbar and fonts issues as with Metro Skin.

Of course my problems may stem from my inexperience with the program. I could have installed something improperly (e.g. skin itself) or something else might have gone wrong. Please, be forgiving for my noobness.

I would greatly aprreciate your help in solving my problem. Thank you all in advance for your kindness and help.

Regards.

P.S. I have a little suggestion for JMoss. Could you by any chance implement the feature of expanding list of tracks into your gorgeous skin? (I'm referring to Grey Veils portion of the screenshot below). Pretty please.  ;D Once again: thank you - JMoss - for the great job!  :)

Requested feature:
Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:24:20 PM by Bolgars

Pingaware

First, upgrade to the 2.4 beta from the topic at the top of the forum. That'll get you the expanded artist view.

To get the menu in the caption bar, go to Edit<Preferences<Layout (1). Under the "General" heading, change "Show Menu in" to "Caption Bar".

The toolbar icons you configure under Edit<Preferences<Layout (1) in the "Main Panel" heading. There's an "Edit" button next to the words "Toolbar Buttons". You choose the icon and the action and specify the order in which they appear in the main panel. There are sets of icons available in the corresponding forum, although I have a feeling the ones in the screenshot are buried somewhere else.

Wait for JMoss to say what font he's been using.

If you're really keen on aesthetics, you may also consider changing the actual program icon. This is done under Preferences<General. Here are two you might like: BadAssBee Set and MusicBee METRO.
Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 01:21:42 AM by Pingaware
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

Bolgars

Wow! Thank you so much for your help. I didn't exepct to hear such a quick answer to my questions. You made it very simple to follow your instructions. Thanks! Now, I'm one step nearer to enjoying an all-out metro aesthetics.

All I need know is help from JMoss to find and implement the desired fonts and to find the set of icons. These icons are indeed - as you put it aptly, Pingaware - buried somewhere. I looked for them withtin the forum and came across nothing that resembled them.

However, your prompt help makes me an optimist and I'm certain I will find them with the help of MusicBee community in no time.

I'm much obliged, Pingaware.  :)