Author Topic: More about genres  (Read 38854 times)

ThY

In my music library, i use this to gather metalcore music flirting with cheap electro music, like nintendocore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-B71jww9o&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_98647

But actually, casiocore is a main genre category part of the cheap electro/synth/8-bits/pop music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvlMQZInzYM

Leading to many other genres like casio pop, emotronica, techno trot, and further all the "kawaï" japanese music, like the moe pop, moe rock, ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzPz_o6erc4

I took a screenshot of a detail of my Xmind chart for you:

jistme

Hah, thnx, this is fun.
I'm gonna delve into it later.

Xyzzy

Now THIS is a serious map of music.

I have approx. 120 genres for my main (metal) collection, with great majority being just combination of some styles (fe Death/Thrash Metal is not just some Death Metal and some Thrash Metal, but mixture of both) and variations of styles (Melodic Death, Progressive Death, Technical Death etc.). All these are based on characteristics of the music itself- chords, sound, composition etc.
In some single cases (bands), for some peculiar styles, I use special terms, like Riot Opera, Power a Capella, SID Metal, coined by the bands themselves or internet.
I use Vocals field to indicate untypical for a genre or mixed/multiple vocals, like growl, harsh, growl/shriek, harsh/clean/female operatic etc.
I use Instruments field to indicate any untypical instruments for a genre (fe. erhu, violin or piano).

All this tagging is done per album, as I listen to albums, so generally just one or two songs in an album with fe. specific vocals don't add anything in Vocals field - such situations I cover usually by per-track Featuring tag.

ThY

So I'm curious, how do other think about genres?  Do you tag with just one genre, or multiple?  How do you decide what genre(s) each artist will be assigned to?  Do you tag by artist, or by album, or by track?  What do you consider a genre?
I tag by track, based on musical/sounding specifities.
So i have 15 main genres and 128 sub-genres. I think it's a good average, knowing that i'm pretty eclectic.
It could be more complex but in the end it's pretty useless.

Then i could tag with multiple genres too, but i prefered to use a genre that fit the track more globaly.

Now THIS is a serious map of music.

I have approx. 120 genres for my main (metal) collection, with great majority being just combination of some styles (fe Death/Thrash Metal is not just some Death Metal and some Thrash Metal, but mixture of both) and variations of styles (Melodic Death, Progressive Death, Technical Death etc.). All these are based on characteristics of the music itself- chords, sound, composition etc.
In some single cases (bands), for some peculiar styles, I use special terms, like Riot Opera, Power a Capella, SID Metal, coined by the bands themselves or internet.
I use Vocals field to indicate untypical for a genre or mixed/multiple vocals, like growl, harsh, growl/shriek, harsh/clean/female operatic etc.
I use Instruments field to indicate any untypical instruments for a genre (fe. erhu, violin or piano).

All this tagging is done per album, as I listen to albums, so generally just one or two songs in an album with fe. specific vocals don't add anything in Vocals field - such situations I cover usually by per-track Featuring tag.

The Map of Metal is a good one indeed, and i'll be curious to see some screenshots of your Musicbee if that won't bother you ^^
Do you exclusively listen to metal ? If not, do you tag the other genres of your music the same complete way ?
Some times ago, i started to tag very exhaustively my music genres, but in the end i had a lot of groups with only one track in it, so it was kinda useless, in a listening purpose.

I explain it in the About Page of my musical constellation.