Author Topic: Software beyond MusicBee  (Read 80819 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
The #1 thing is that it makes it possible to select exactly the area of the screen I want, to the pixel.  The colorpicker is a nice bonus. 

I wish it had the capability to upload to a particular imgur account, but I just copy & paste into imgur when I'm done doing anything I want to do in the editor, which is actually probably fewer steps in the long run.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

ma_t14

The #1 thing is that it makes it possible to select exactly the area of the screen I want, to the pixel.  The colorpicker is a nice bonus.  

I wish it had the capability to upload to a particular imgur account, but I just copy & paste into imgur when I'm done doing anything I want to do in the editor, which is actually probably fewer steps in the long run.

ShareX can select the exact area to the pixel as well though and it has the ability to upload to an imgur account, as well as copy the imgur link automatically to the clipboard. All in one step. It includes a color picker as well, are you sure you were using the same program?  ::)
Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:36:59 AM by ma_t14

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I don't know, I guess I never discovered those features.  Does ShareX have the pixel zoom that allows you to see exactly what you're selecting?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8878 P
Been a long time user of Duck Capture, but from the description, I might have to give ShareX a try.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

ma_t14

I don't know, I guess I never discovered those features.  Does ShareX have the pixel zoom that allows you to see exactly what you're selecting?

Yes.

I suggest you go to the shareX website and click on the Screenshots section at the top. It gives a nice overview of the features.

https://getsharex.com/
Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 01:00:27 AM by ma_t14

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hmm.  So I see.  I'm not sure why I missed this stuff, since I'm usually pretty good at looking at all the option in program.  I'll give ShareX another try.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

ma_t14

It's a arguably a little less user friendly than PicPick but once you get a good grasp of it I think it's better

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I tested it out by getting new screencaps of MB settings.  The only thing so far I can't find a way to do that picpick does (at least it claims to, as do some other programs including Duck Capture) is capture areas that have to be scrolled to show the whole thing.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

ma_t14

I tested it out by getting new screencaps of MB settings.  The only thing so far I can't find a way to do that picpick does (at least it claims to, as do some other programs including Duck Capture) is capture areas that have to be scrolled to show the whole thing.

Yes, that's the only major feature, in my opinion, that is still missing but I only needed to use it 1 or 2 times before so it's not that important, at least for me.

Wasabi21

Is their any similar software to MusicBee, just instead of managing music to manage pictures?
I've tested very much of these (http://www.heise.de/foto/artikel/Portfolio-791433.html), but they did not meet my expectations. I would like such tagging and filtering functions that are common at MP3-Manager-Programms. The problem on the software I've tested is, that the filtering function is organised by drag-and-drop-directory-like filters insted of metadata (tags).
The optimal thing I can remember is a MusicBee, without Music, only Covers ^^
(I also played with the thaught to use dummy-mp3 files and assign them the picture I want as cover, but .... no ^^)

ThY

Maybe AcdSee but not sure about your expectations, and this software isn't free.

redwing

Is their any similar software to MusicBee, just instead of managing music to manage pictures?
I've tested very much of these (http://www.heise.de/foto/artikel/Portfolio-791433.html), but they did not meet my expectations. I would like such tagging and filtering functions that are common at MP3-Manager-Programms. The problem on the software I've tested is, that the filtering function is organised by drag-and-drop-directory-like filters insted of metadata (tags).
The optimal thing I can remember is a MusicBee, without Music, only Covers ^^
(I also played with the thaught to use dummy-mp3 files and assign them the picture I want as cover, but .... no ^^)

I don't know anything like MB but you could try Zoner Photo Studio (free version) & XnView.

homertx

Wow, there are a lot of great suggestions here...

I'm familiar with a few like -
Launchy - this is a great time saver.
Auto Hotkey - awesome macro and win dev tool. I've actually created some nice utilities of my own to help manage my library.
PicPic - l use on some machine but will check out Sharex soon.

I have questions about some like -
mp3tag - have people found this better than Tagscanner and the godfather? I find Tagscanner incredibly powerful and would love to hear from someone that's used it but chose mp3tag.

jaangle - while MB is my formal music player I wonder if anyone had used jaangle in the past and what ever happened to it?
Media Monkey - does anyone use this player?
JMedia Center - does anyone use this player?

Lastly - has anyone found a tool to help prepare and process audio files "to be" added to your library? Over the years I have spread my collection about multiple drives and want to undertake a consolidation effort. I like a tool that would help review files to be added, check to see that they don't already exist in the library and move them to a staging folder ready for a merge. Along the way it would also address a whole list of other validations: complete or partial album, bitrate, audio format, artwork, etc.

Pingaware

Lastly - has anyone found a tool to help prepare and process audio files "to be" added to your library? Over the years I have spread my collection about multiple drives and want to undertake a consolidation effort. I like a tool that would help review files to be added, check to see that they don't already exist in the library and move them to a staging folder ready for a merge. Along the way it would also address a whole list of other validations: complete or partial album, bitrate, audio format, artwork, etc.

In my experience, there's no quick fix for this. My current process is something like this.

I have a main library and a to-be-added library. I started by creating a temporary library, putting absolutely everything in there, and running MB's duplicates tool. This got rid of a fair amount of dead wood. I then load up my main library in an MB process opened in Sandboxie (the only way I know of to get multiple MBs open). I then load up the other library in a normal MB process. For each artist, I do a full search of the TBA library including filename. I only ever search by artist, to make sure that I'm not missing any songs spelt incorrectly. I compare the TBA library to the current one, delete any more duplicates, then tag the files in the TBA library and send them to the HDD where the main library is stored. Having done this, they get deleted from the TBA library. I do this for all artists in the main library. Then (and I've not reached this stage yet :P ), I'm planning on doing the same for all the artists in the TBA library, making use of MB's identify file by sound signature and then, if that fails, Shazam/Soundhound or similar.

When the files are in the main library, I use Album Artwork Downloader to search for HQ artwork (1000*1000 only), making edits as needed in Paint.net. I have Auto-Organise turned on in my main library, and thus files are sent to the correct folder when they are moved out of the inbox. Then, I have two separate filters in my main library - one for tracks I'm happy with, and one for tracks that need more editing. That last filter has a large number of conditions, and I research all my track tags thoroughly (using a combination of Wiki/Discogs/Allmusic/Bandcamp/And-if-that-fails-a-desperate-Google-search). I also make sure at this point that the files are in MP3 format (my current preferred format - not looking forward to the switch to FLAC when I have to do it!). To make sure of this, I have a highlight rule that highlights only tracks that aren't MP3s.

The final steps are to run the main library through Mp3Val and Mp3Diags (in that order) every few weeks/months. That highlights actual file issues which can be fixed, and is also a good way to spot files which are missing embedded artwork. And then, I do a search on Google Play to see if each track exists. If I don't know where the file has come from (highly probable), if it's a vinyl rip (also relatively likely) or if I know that it's from an old CD and a newer remaster is available, then I'll convert the file to 320kbps if it's available on Google Play and then upload it. Hopefully, Google Play recognises a match and I then download a 320kbps file from the best master available, and replace my current file with that using MB's Folder (Replace) command. If it doesn't match it, I do some dodgy MP3 recording or downloading to try and get a file that does match (which I think is justified given that I do actually already own the file and I don't pirate music). I also make sure that Media Source is present on files so I know where I've got them from!

Hope that helps give you some ideas for how to proceed. I'll warn you, library maintenance is a long term task if you want to do it properly. I'm currently on ~14000 correctly tagged files with around the same to go... Hopefully be done in about three years time (by which I'll have inevitably acquired a lot more music of course).
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

Zak

• Global Moderator
mp3tag - have people found this better than Tagscanner and the godfather? I find Tagscanner incredibly powerful and would love to hear from someone that's used it but chose mp3tag.

I've been a long term mp3tag user and found it to be the best for a large music library restructure/reorganisation project.
I tried TagScanner briefly, but got frustrated by its modal "Renaming/Editing/Processing" approach. I want to be able to do whatever I need, whenever I need to without having to worry about which screen I'm currently looking at.
I tried The Godfather too, but the current screenshots don't look familiar, so it may have had a revamp since then. It looks pretty comprehensive, so may be a better alternative to mp3tag if you're already familiar with it.

The best thing about mp3tag for me is being to create custom actions. When I first acquire new music, in one step I can clean up existing tags, remove unwanted tags, set values for custom tags that I've set up in MusicBee... I'm not sure if The Godfather has anything similar, but it's such a time saver that I wouldn't use any program without it.

jaangle - while MB is my formal music player I wonder if anyone had used jaangle in the past and what ever happened to it?
Media Monkey - does anyone use this player?
JMedia Center - does anyone use this player?

From the screenshots, jaangle looks pretty basic and hasn't been updated since 2012, so is probably abandoned.
A lot of forum people have mentioned they are migrating to MusicBee from MediaMonkey and JRiver for various reasons. I doubt many of them go back. :P One complaint about Media Monkey is that it requires payment to get the same features available in MusicBee for free.

Looks like Pingaware said the same - sorry, I skimmed the lengthy post - but MusicBee is great for that. It's (unique?) Inbox feature means you can add all of your tracks en masse, and only when you're happy with their tags etc. move them to your main, organised, music library.
Bee excellent to each other...