Author Topic: Integrated Extraction tool for iPods  (Read 6167 times)

Creaulx

• Steadfastly Analogue
Hi, love this software!  I've been searching for something this clear, straightforward and easy to use since the original MusicMatch went belly-up after the ill-fated Yahoo acquisition.  Eventually, I hope to not require iTunes for *anything*, it is bloody horrendous proprietary bloatware.  The only reason I need it currently is for the Podcast Directory feature in the iTunes Store.

"Syncing" iTunes has always meant one-way only.  Would it be hugely difficult to integrate some sort of extraction feature whereby you could rebuild or augment your music library by copying the contents of your iPod to a local drive?  I know it's possible with certain types of software, but I've never trusted any of the freeware I've downloaded.  Apologies if I was supposed to thoroughly research this before posting...  ::)

flippertie

Steven

• Administrator
you can already import any new tracks in iTunes using File/ Import from Library/ iTunes
does that suffice?

Maleko12

I think Creaulx meant was this scenario:

Let's say someone has an iPod and iTunes, and their computer crashes (thus all of the music is gone). If someone were to download iTunes after the crash (or a new PC) and try to sync it, since iTunes has no music (thanks to the PC crash), the iPod would lose all of its songs as well. Thus, it would be great if MB had a feature that allowed someone to add their songs from the iPod back to the computer.

There's Music Rescue, which is nagware, but it explains what I believe Creaulx wants MB to do.

EDIT: I'm not sure, however, if this is legal or not though...
Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 11:41:02 PM by Maleko12

flippertie

That's what i was thinking of.  If I have recordings on my ipod that are not in the library onmy main PC it would be really useful to have an integrated way to get them into the music library on my PC.

Creaulx

• Steadfastly Analogue
Yep, Flippertie, that's the gist of it.  Why is it so difficult to get your own music off of an iPod and back onto your own computer?

aidanw

SharePod works pretty well. Used it a couple of times. It's quick too.

http://www.getsharepod.com/

You need iTunes installed and the iPod/iPhone connect but don't sync (unless you want the device wiped).

smd

iDump does the same thing also, and it's free, just in case this won't be integrated into MusicBee.

Steven

• Administrator
no immediate plans to do this as there are a lot of requests i am looking at, but lets say in 2-3 weeks. If you have a need for something quickly i think sharepod can do this sort of thing

Maleko12

donjulien

+1 to cHORPO: I guess Steven would save too much hassle of keeping up with new iPod software changes if using a standard code base and building from there. In the end, MB is no "iPod-centric" software, and SharePodLib looks mature enough.

Creaulx

• Steadfastly Analogue
I can use Sharepod, that's fine but my ultimate goal is to eliminate the need for iTunes entirely.  Without doing any research, (sorry, busy here at work) is "Sharepod Lib" a plugin that can be installed/added without iTunes?