Author Topic: Proposal: Extend 'Genre' hierarchy with 'Subgenre'  (Read 93681 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Here you go: https://app.box.com/s/m09d0nzl2501joqj4tkltrmufx9hqu9y

It's a work in progress, lol
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yes, that's fixed the false positives. Now it's gone the other way, it's only identifying values from one of the tags in the filter (it gets "filters" but misses "locations"). But it shows the values that aren't in the hierarchy in the editor, so I can at least see what they are and search for them easily.

Hold off on that. I thought I had all tracks in the main panel, but I may not have. Will report when I have more details.

Looking good at the moment. I was able to very quickly fix all those unmatched tags, now there are none. Cool!

What you've done here is amazing. The more I think about it, the more possibilities occur to me - ways to save tons of work on tagging, or just to make information more accessible. One thing I played around with earlier was making a tree of groups and their members. The Beatles are an obvious example, since they're ALL famous and have solo careers, other bands, collaboration work, etc. The ability to see all the tracks an artist was involved in already exists, of course (with correct tagging), but this allows the relationships to be clustered and organized in new ways.

I posted something a while back about ways to store information about artists in the database - this meets that need. Rather than tag every track by an artist with the same info, you can enter the artist in a hierarchy once and never have to mess with it again. New tracks will be included automatically. I remember going around in circles with somebody, trying to help them figure out how to do something similar with autoplaylists.

The only advantage I can still see to using autoplaylists for simple grouping based on tag values is the ability to set custom views and so on. My mind is pretty blown. I think it's going to get more blown as I work through this. :D
Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 11:31:42 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

zkhcohen

Both reported issues should be fixed now:
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee34_Patched.zip

Two bugs for you:

Genre counts randomly change every time you switch back and forth between playlists AND randomly change when repeatedly selecting the same playlist. Note that the song count does not change.

The Column Browser no longer works in in conjunction with the Genre Browser. It only appears as a header.

Please see the GIF below which exhibits both issues simultaneously:

[MOD: Reduced image size. Click for full size.]
Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 02:58:49 AM by psychoadept

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Is there a way to add comments to the hierarchy files? Like, commenting something out with # or // so MusicBee doesn't read it into the hierarchy.

Added: I was having an issue with MB not reading the contents of a file that had been changed outside of MB. In fact, at some point it overwrote the changed file with the old contents. If I copied the file and gave it a different name, then MB would read it correctly. I had edited with Notepad++ and also couldn't see a file changed date, so that might have been related. But I checked several time that it was THAT file I had edited. (I think this was an issue with Notepad++ making me think the file had been saved when it hadn't. If anything like that happens again I'll speak up, but for now I think we can safely assume user error there.  :-[ )

Also MB was complaining because Notepad++ had put real tabs in the file rather than four spaces, but that was easily fixed with a search and replace.

Update with another small bug: if there are trailing spaces after the tag name (::location   , for instance), then MusicBee reports that the tag is not configured in MB.
Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 09:30:44 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It seemed like it would be useful to have a centralized place to collect shared Tag Hierarchy files, so I made one: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=32978.msg180672
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
Two bugs for you:
I cant reproduce either. Can you send me a link to your settings file and also any files in AppData\Saved Settings if you make use of custom views/layouts

Steven

• Administrator
Is there a way to add comments to the hierarchy files? Like, commenting something out with # or // so MusicBee doesn't read it into the hierarchy.
the next update will ignore //
Update with another small bug: if there are trailing spaces after the tag name (::location   , for instance), then MusicBee reports that the tag is not configured in MB.
thats fixed for the next update

Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 10:38:43 AM by Steven

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Thanks!

I'm seeing some odd behavior when using Artist in the hierarchy; it's like MusicBee is defining artist differently depending on what aspect it's looking at. If I put Artist::artist in the hierarchy, it seems to include all definitions of Artist (guest artist, performer, etc). However, when counting the tracks it only seems to pick up tracks where the artist is a primary artist (or at least not the performer (role) credits).

Take Natalie Merchant, for example: clicking her node in the hierarchy gets all of her solo tracks and 10,000 Maniacs where she's included as a performer. That's 37 tracks, but the count only shows 23, which is how many tracks where she's tagged as Artist. And then in the Files With Tags Missing filter, it shows "No tag hierarchy for: Natalie Merchant (vocals)", etc.

Another issue I've stumbled on is there's different behavior related to sub-nodes when using Node::tag vs just Node. If I put New York::location, I get only the tracks tagged with New York, in both the main panel and the count. If I put New York plain, I get all the sub-nodes. I've worked around it for now by making New York::location a sub-node of New York. I can imagine reasons this behavior might be desirable, but it's definitely a problem if there are no tracks with the Node tag, because then it disappears, even if there are tracks in the sub nodes.

A vaguely related question: can you put virtual tags in a hierarchy? [Update: Actually, that won't do what I want. Still a useful question, maybe.]
Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 12:59:02 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
The Column Browser no longer works in in conjunction with the Genre Browser. It only appears as a header.
in your Layout(1) preferences you have disabled resizing panels

for the 2nd issue, i still cant reproduce it. In your description you say you are switching between playlists but the gif file makes it look like you are clicking on "Music Library" multiple times. When switching playlists i would expect the counts to change as they reflect what it shown in the main panel.
Are you using the latest patch version: 3.4.7564?

Steven

• Administrator
Another issue I've stumbled on is there's different behavior related to sub-nodes when using Node::tag vs just Node. If I put New York::location, I get only the tracks tagged with New York, in both the main panel and the count. If I put New York plain, I get all the sub-nodes. I've worked around it for now by making New York::location a sub-node of New York. I can imagine reasons this behavior might be desirable, but it's definitely a problem if there are no tracks with the Node tag, because then it disappears, even if there are tracks in the sub nodes.
that is the intentional behavior - nodes with no tag simply aggregate all the nodes under that node
when selecting a node with a tag, it only filters for that one tag and ignores the child nodes.
However I will update the node visibility logic so it accounts for there being child nodes that do have matches

Steven

• Administrator
I'm seeing some odd behavior when using Artist in the hierarchy; it's like MusicBee is defining artist differently depending on what aspect it's looking at. If I put Artist::artist in the hierarchy, it seems to include all definitions of Artist (guest artist, performer, etc). However, when counting the tracks it only seems to pick up tracks where the artist is a primary artist (or at least not the performer (role) credits).
thats fixed for the next update - it should pick up all definitions of artist and now the count should reflect the same

Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 10:46:59 AM by Steven

zkhcohen

in your Layout(1) preferences you have disabled resizing panels

for the 2nd issue, i still cant reproduce it. In your description you say you are switching between playlists but the gif file makes it look like you are clicking on "Music Library" multiple times. When switching playlists i would expect the counts to change as they reflect what it shown in the main panel.
Are you using the latest patch version: 3.4.7564?

1. Whoops -- that's embarrassing, you're correct, it was caused by that setting.

2. I am using the latest patch version and I'm still able to replicate the issue. To clarify, the count changes both when selecting the playlist multiple times in a row, and navigating to and from a playlist. Please see the new gif below:

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
thats fixed for the next update - it should pick up all definitions of artist and now the count should reflect the same

Thanks again!  Yep, in fact it seems to be counting them ALL indiviually, lol. It's giving me a count of 91 on 41 tracks for Natalie Merchant, now. She has as many as 3 separate credits on some of them (Artist, piano, vocals), so that seems about right. And in the list shown of "No tag hiearchy for", it's including the performance roles - guitar, vocals, etc. I can't imagine the tricky logic you're having to have MusicBee go through to coordinate all these factors, I don't envy you. :D

that is the intentional behavior - nodes with no tag simply aggregate all the nodes under that node
when selecting a node with a tag, it only filters for that one tag and ignores the child nodes.
However I will update the node visibility logic so it accounts for there being child nodes that do have matches

This looks good now. It might be helpful to be able to visually distinguish a "tag" node from an "aggregate" node. I'm not sure what that would be: slightly different font color, font style, some small icon, hover text...?'

Added: Actually, I can verify what zkhcohen says. Sometimes it shows a count of 91, and sometimes 60 for Natalie Merchant. I can't tell what prompts it to display differently.
Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 10:41:20 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
2. I am using the latest patch version and I'm still able to replicate the issue. To clarify, the count changes both when selecting the playlist multiple times in a row, and navigating to and from a playlist. Please see the new gif below:
I still can't reproduce the issue. Could you try this version to see if it works