Author Topic: URGENT: give the program an autosave feature  (Read 4583 times)

WimYogya

In spite of my high enthousiasm about MB my experiences are not 100% successful. With the newly installed Swap Tags plugin I experienced 2x a crash already. After a restart it became clear that all the work since the previous start was gone.
Would be nice if an autosave feature (optional? configurable?) could reduce this waist of work and time to a minimum.

I just moved from MediaMonkey where program crashes are part of the daily game and in spite of many requests the developers never installed autosave. Will they listen here better? ;-)
WimYogya
retired Dutchman (1944) in Yogyakarta, Indonesia

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I agree that this would be a good feature, and would seem to go hand-in-hand with the need for a good Undo command.

What work do you find is not being saved?  Organization?  Tags?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

WimYogya

When mass-tagging big portions of my library during the migration process the specific tagging tool or MB itself crashed a few times.
Even if I had done the work in batches (tagging 500 tracks in 1 time) I lost lots of work, if after the 10th batch a crash occurred.
Upon restarting the already tagged and updated (!) tags were still as before - apparently they had NOT been SAVED yet.
That should be done every few minutes, automaticaly.

And I support your request for an UNDO feature as well.
WimYogya

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
That's strange - in my experience MusicBee updates tags immediately.  What ID3 version are you using?  Is it possible MusicBee is saving in one version and your old tags are in another?  That has caused issues for me recently.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

WimYogya

I dont understand your question, because I don't know anything about tagging versions... Wouldnt know which version I have and/or how to change that... Sorry....
WimYogya

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You can control what tag version MB is using on the Tags (1) panel of preferences.  It's at the very top, as shown here: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Tags_Preferences

You can find out what version your tags are saved to by opening the tag inspector .  Select a track > Edit > Tag Inspector button at top (or in drop menu if docked in the bottom).   There will be multiple tag version shown across the top in the Tag Inspector screen.  Check them all to see if there is different info in different versions.

(Sorry, that's probably confusing as heck without a screenshot.  I'll try to post one when I get home tonight.)
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

WimYogya

Thanks for trying to help a dummie, but I simply don't have a clue what version(s) I use, I used and I should use in the future.
What are the (dis)advantages from one version versus another?
Is the most recent version (always) the best?
WimYogya

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
ID3v2.3 (MusicBee's default) is probably fine.  It's the most universal.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

WimYogya

But how do I find out what I have?
And how to upgrade if necessary?
Really have no clue, sorry, never came across this.
WimYogya

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You can find out what version MusicBee is writing to by looking at preferences, as shown here:

You can find out what kind of tags are currently in your files by using the tag inspector, which is accessed from the Edit screen as shown here:

You can check for ID3v1 tags, for instance, by clicking the radio button for ID3v1.   If you find that you have tags in both ID3v1 and ID3v2 for some files that might be why you're losing your work, because MB is rescanning old tags instead of new ones.

Does that help?

(Steven has changed it so that in the latest version, editing your tags with "also save as ID3v1" unchecked will clear the old ID3v1 tags.  If you're seeing changes reverted in MB version 2.1.4770+, I'm at a loss)
Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 06:05:30 AM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

WimYogya

Gives already clear guidelines and screenshots. Thanks.
But if I see something 'wrong', how to correct or update the tags to the 3.2 version?
WimYogya

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
As long as you're on the current version, MB will write whichever ID3 version you have it set to and clear or overwrite all others.  Nothing special you have to do to change them, just update whatever you would normally update.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)