Author Topic: Keep library in memory?  (Read 3555 times)

Thorbjorn

MusicBee is a really fluid program on my PC even with my large library (125k songs). Quite amazing actually, but the one thing that always makes it hang is when I go to look at the entire library. I usually use artwork view grouped by artist, so I go back to look at all artist very often. Even this is not slow (fast rather) compared to other programs, but it still makes MusicBee hang for 4-8 seconds.

Is it possible to add an option to keep the library in memory all the time? Obviously this can't be a default option, but I have so much RAM that normally I barely use a fraction of it. RAM is so cheap now that I think there's lots of other people in the same situation. I wouldn't mind or even notice if it uses some extra hundreds MB. But I'm sure I would notice not having to reload the library all the time.

Maybe I'm way off here and it's some other reason it takes time to show all artists. If so just put me in my place Steven :) I just think it's the only thing that feels slow in MusicBee, and if it could be improved by using more RAM I have lots of it to spare.

lnminente

Are you using the new artwork view with reduced margins or the old one? The new one works slower for me as i think it recreates the artwork cache

hamma

Where can i find the settings for reduced margins?

lnminente

@Hamma: In Artwork view, click in the rightest toolbar button (configure layout), customize panel settings. It's named "Fit artwork to the size of the panel"

Thorbjorn

I'm using the reduced margins. It doesn't make much difference here.

Anyway I'm not complaining that loading the library is slow, it's relatively very fast. I'm just wondering if it's technically possible to remove those seconds of stutter by using more memory. I guess only Steven can answer that.