Author Topic: Apply volume adjustment to file  (Read 4962 times)

Cody The Bee

In properties > settings of a file you can adjust the volume. It would be nice to be able to apply this change to the file so that you don't have to do it again if you lose your database.

However, I suppose that sounds easier than it is because probably the process is different: I guess it's just a change in MusicBee itself to adjust the volume, while applying it to the file would modify the sound data. Anyway, if I'm wrong here and it's an easy one it would be a nice feature to have.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Manual volume adjustment is automatically saved to the file as a relative volume adjustment tag (try opening the Tag Inspector for a particular track to see it).   Many music players can read this.

If you go to Menu > Tools > Analyze Volume, you can also tell MB to change the volume of the file directly, although that's a little more risky because you can't undo it if you don't like it.  (If you analyze volume without telling MB to alter the file, the adjustment will be saved as replaygain tags, which are also readable by many if not most music players.)
Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:46:10 PM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Cody The Bee

The Analyze Volume things doesn't seem to work for me. Well, I'll just stick to the manual adjustment then if it's saved to the tag. Thanks!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You're welcome!

Can you describe what problem you're having with Analyze Volume?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Zak

• Global Moderator
The Analyze Volume things doesn't seem to work for me. Well, I'll just stick to the manual adjustment then if it's saved to the tag. Thanks!
Replay Gain is by far the easiest way to avoid drastic changes in volume, and it will work with other programs and portable devices so it's worth persevering.

Did you turn on the Replay Gain after you did the analysis? There are different options at the bottom of the Controls menu.
Bee excellent to each other...