Author Topic: Year / Original year  (Read 6872 times)

Rixxardo

If possible add a feature to load from the web (musicbrainz DB?) the year for a given track and store the info accordingly. Even more better, if using musicbrainz API, would be to allow the "Original  release date" for a given track and store this either in the YEAR tag or in a custom tag.
You should let this tagging feature as Musicbee does currently: allow only replacing of this tag, leaving others untouched.

What do you think?
Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 11:32:59 PM by Rixxardo

Zak

• Global Moderator
Sounds like Tools > Tagging tools > Auto-tag by Track > Identify Track and Update Tags.

There you can configure which fields you want updated, including the year:

Bee excellent to each other...

Rixxardo

Oh well.........  :'(

One question: where do you get this info form? Is it the year the media was published, or the original year?

Zak

• Global Moderator
I'd guess it depends on how you have configured your Tags (2) preferences.
You can specify which metadata providers to use, and the order in which to search them:

I'm not sure if there's any way to distinguish between original year and release year though.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Given what MB can do with custom tags, it seems like it might be possible to configure it to automatically stick the original date in the year field.  I'll play with it, because that would be very useful to me too.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Rixxardo

I'd guess it depends on how you have configured your Tags (2) preferences.
You can specify which metadata providers to use, and the order in which to search them:

I'm not sure if there's any way to distinguish between original year and release year though.

I have tried to change the order however, once I save the changes, it will be discarded

Zak

• Global Moderator
It works for me, although last.fm is always set to be last.
I think this is because it's only used for retrieving genres and not complete track and album details.

Rixxardo

How do I know what source is being used for each tag?

Gary Young

Given what MB can do with custom tags, it seems like it might be possible to configure it to automatically stick the original date in the year field.
Does that mean it could be possible to retrieve the correct "original year" for each track on a release?

I'm thinking of Best-Of-Compilations for instance. And I always hated to have a song, originally released in the 1960s, tagged "1995" only because that's the release-date of the compilation I have.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Does that mean it could be possible to retrieve the correct "original year" for each track on a release?

I doubt it will ever be totally accurate if done automatically, but maybe it can be improved.  I accomplish it by using MusicBrainz' Picard tagger and a special script, and manually reassigning each track to the original album when necessary.  Even when the album is correct, I have to watch to be sure that release groups haven't been fragmented in the MusicBrainz database.   And for older stuff, sometimes the original releases just aren't there.  I've added quite a few recently where the only release available was a rerelease.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)