Author Topic: Button to display/hide properties panel  (Read 7028 times)

Xyzzy

Please add a button to show/hide file properties panel, similar to the one for Track and Artist panel.

ma_t14

What makes the file properties panel so important that it would deserve a separate button?

You can use a hotkey instead

Xyzzy

All panels except this one have such buttons. This is inconsistent.

ma_t14

I might be misunderstanding what panel you mean by file properties panel. Could you please post a screenshot?

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8878 P
@Xyzzy
You can set that up yourself in Preferences>>Layout>>command/toolbar buttons.
It's the Edit:Edit Tags selection
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Xyzzy

@Xyzzy
You can set that up yourself in Preferences>>Layout>>command/toolbar buttons.
It's the Edit:Edit Tags selection

Sure, but this still will be inconsistent with the current UI, where panels have distinct hide/show button.

beeing good

Sure, but this still will be inconsistent with the current UI, where panels have distinct hide/show button.

I don't agree. What happens when you have the edit panel displayed as a pop up rather than docked to the main panel, what happens with the button then? I really don't see the need for it, you can already right click to access it or set up a command key or use the proper shortcut.

Xyzzy

I don't agree. What happens when you have the edit panel displayed as a pop up rather than docked to the main panel, what happens with the button then? I really don't see the need for it, you can already right click to access it or set up a command key or use the proper shortcut.

It is just opened/closed as configured. Nothing happens with the button.
You may ask why the other panels have buttons, when you can use a shortcut or setup a command key or use rmb menu entry.

Simply, other panels have their buttons, and this one does not, and I feel it is unnatural to have to remember a shortcut or click a button in a nonstandard place in order to open/close a panel instead of having a button where it is expected.

Bee-liever

What happens when you have the edit panel displayed as a pop up rather than docked to the main panel, what happens with the button then? I really don't see the need for it, you can already right click to access it or set up a command key or use the proper shortcut.

Well, that doesn't match the UI either.
Currently, if Track & Artist Info is docked in the panel, the open/close icon is there, but if it's a tab, the icon doesn't stay there and open and close the tab.

click a button in a nonstandard place in order to open/close a panel instead of having a button where it is expected.

Where do you propose that it is expected to be?
If the Edit and Track&Info are both docked in the panel, would 2 icons be on the right, or the edit panel open/close go on the left?

IMO the edit panel is an extra panel, like preferences, that is opened when needed. It is not part of the navigation/information panels that form the main UI.

Since the icon doesn't exist, I cant see how it can be a "nonstandard place". Whether it be a button on the AddressBar or an icon on the StatusBar, you have to learn where to 'click' to open the panel.

Xyzzy

What happens when you have the edit panel displayed as a pop up rather than docked to the main panel, what happens with the button then? I really don't see the need for it, you can already right click to access it or set up a command key or use the proper shortcut.

Well, that doesn't match the UI either.
Currently, if Track & Artist Info is docked in the panel, the open/close icon is there, but if it's a tab, the icon doesn't stay there and open and close the tab.

So it can behave exactly the same way. What is the problem?

click a button in a nonstandard place in order to open/close a panel instead of having a button where it is expected.

Where do you propose that it is expected to be?
Here:

If the Edit and Track&Info are both docked in the panel, would 2 icons be on the right, or the edit panel open/close go on the left?

IMO the edit panel is an extra panel, like preferences, that is opened when needed. It is not part of the navigation/information panels that form the main UI.

Since the icon doesn't exist, I cant see how it can be a "nonstandard place". Whether it be a button on the AddressBar or an icon on the StatusBar, you have to learn where to 'click' to open the panel.
Icon positions can be fixed, so that not to confuse.

Edit panel is exactly about track information- just about physical aspect of it. It presents information about single current entity (or a couple currently selected).

Re finding icon - but learning how to open one panel, you would learn how to open all of them, not all except one.
Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 08:21:18 PM by Xyzzy

Bee-liever

Here:

IMO having two icons the same, right next to each other, would be confusing and not beneficial to the UI.
But, I also think we should just say we agree to disagree on your idea  :)

Steven

• Administrator
IMO having two icons the same, right next to each other, would be confusing and not beneficial to the UI.
this is how i feel about this request as well.
Surely having the hotkey and/or optional command button that is already supported would suffice

Xyzzy

this is how i feel about this request as well.
Surely having the hotkey and/or optional command button that is already supported would suffice

I have no idea why there is concept that these two have to be the same?
I got used to clicking frame hide/expand icons to  hide/show information panels. Just this one is different. That's all.

Bee-liever

Please add a button to show/hide file properties panel, similar to the one for Track and Artist panel.

but this still will be inconsistent with the current UI, where panels have distinct hide/show button.

I have no idea why there is concept that these two have to be the same?
I got used to clicking frame hide/expand icons to  hide/show information panels. Just this one is different. That's all.

Since you've been saying that the UI had to be consistent and you wanted it similar to Track and Artist panel, I assumed you wanted it the same.  Guess it's true, you can consume, but you should never assume.