Author Topic: Killer batch auto-tag by album script  (Read 3519 times)

wisdomtooth

I love the Bee. Hence I'm here. Buzzz!!  ::)

I hate seeing my music collection in disarray, so I wrote the following algorithm. I'd script it myself, but I couldn't find any references for the scripting language.

What often happens to - and that annoys my OC to no end! - is to see repeated versions of the same album on the artwork view. This happens because the tracks have disparate album info. So I run the brilliant auto-tag by album (ATBA) on the offending clones, to my heart's content. But even a die-hard OC can only stay awake so many hours in the day. So, what gives?

Simple. It's a combinatorial problem, I know, but bear with me. Loop this:

for each album in the library
   while there are tracks to be updated
      run ATBA on the non-updated tracks (don't use 'number of tracks'; that's useless for incomplete sets)
      update the matched tracks with the best matching album (including artwork and 'Album Artist', which typically com unticked)
      mark the matched tracks as updated

Now this is not going to fix all, all tracks, but hopefully now there won't be as many duplicate albums in the artwork view.

paq

How much is it that differ in tags for tracks from the same Album?

As of now, you can't automate or batch the auto-tag-by-album process, so I guess there's still some manual work to do for you.

Maybe there is some tag you can sort your view by so that the albums appear grouped - making it easier to do an auto-tag-by-album.

wisdomtooth

You were right, paq. Unfortunately, I didn't get a notification of your reply, so had to learn it the long way. Finally, got a good solution: grouping by Album Artist.

Still, I obsess about a killer batch auto-tag script. Something to run regularly, like disc defrag. I find myself doing the same routine, over and over; it seems obvious it could automated. Yes, it won't be perfect. But, so what if some tracks get mistagged? That's collateral damage. Better than having a lot of poorly tagged ones, and therefore practically inaccessible.

One possibility would be to fingerprint all non-fingerprinted tracks, auto-tag them individually, and then again by album to square off the differences (in year, genre, etc).

Any thoughts?