Author Topic: Color Coding Feature for Songs [Highlighting]  (Read 45181 times)

Steven

• Administrator
the first issue is fixed for the next update
- Changing the percentage of similarity according to last.fm doesn't change the hightlighted similar artists. Shouldn't it be more hightlighted ones with higher percentages?  ???
can you explain some - how are you changing the %?

Greb

the first issue is fixed for the next update
- Changing the percentage of similarity according to last.fm doesn't change the hightlighted similar artists. Shouldn't it be more hightlighted ones with higher percentages?  ???
can you explain some - how are you changing the %?

In the AutoDJ tab > Track selection > Track from artist rated by last.fm by last.fm as more than x% similar

Alainn

At first I thought I wouldn't use this but found that it's really handy when playing tracks from Last.fm/Ex.fm/Jamendo since the filters in AutoDJ don't affect them and I can't edit their tags. So I've added some rules to highlight tracks that are longer then 10 minutes or shorter then 30 seconds + Highlight tracks by artists that are "stuck" in my recommendations because of a redirect of the artist page on Last.fm and it's soo much better.

Thanks for making this :)

Steven

• Administrator
its refreshing ok with the new percentage for me - are you sure its not working (maybe the bug with the active filters was confusing your test results)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P

if you single click the "Highlights" column header it opens the settings dialog
For consistency, shouldn't that sort tracks so that tracks of the same colour are together, and uncoloured tracks are last?

Shouldn't left-click sort the column and "Highlight Editor" be an option on right-click?
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Greb

its refreshing ok with the new percentage for me - are you sure its not working (maybe the bug with the active filters was confusing your test results)

Last patch applied and still not working.

I took a couple of screencaps. This is a AutoDJ preview. The Corun's song appears:

But when I refresh the Music Library, same track playing as you can see, this same song appears unhighlighted (rules for highlighting is similar artist to playings track).

Steven

• Administrator
if you are refering to the sidebar only, i expect it wont react immediately and the change would only display when the now playing list is repainted (eg. minimise/restore musicbee, add files etc) but i can do something about that.
if you also mean the main panel then it works fine for me and i have no idea why it wouldnt work for you.

Greb

if you are refering to the sidebar only, i expect it wont react immediately and the change would only display when the now playing list is repainted (eg. minimise/restore musicbee, add files etc) but i can do something about that.
if you also mean the main panel then it works fine for me and i have no idea why it wouldnt work for you.

Well, as Jack Lemmon said (more or less), nothing is perfect  ;D Thanks anyway!

Gary Young

I just tested the feature and I really like it :)
And I absolutely agree with the solution of coloring just a square instead of the full row.

But for one purpose I'd prefer to have the full row colored (the textcolor I mean). That's when I want to "grey out" specific tracks. When I want them to fade out a bit, so that they're out of focus, visually more in the background - do you know what I mean?

The way the dead links look like.

And believe me, I wouldn't dare to color the whole row in something like red or green! Because the tidy GUI was one of the primary reasons for me to switch to MB.

paq

I just tested the feature and I really like it :)
But for one purpose I'd prefer to have the full row colored (the textcolor I mean). That's when I want to "grey out" specific tracks. When I want them to fade out a bit, so that they're out of focus, visually more in the background - do you know what I mean?

The way the dead links look like.

I like this idea - but I think it could work better as a wish/feature separated from this. I'm thinking it could be a setting in Edit > Find or custom searches in the search field, like a checkbox "Gray out tracks that don't match" (rather than showing only matching tracks as it is now).

Steven

• Administrator
i've already done this for the next update - its been done as a check box to include the colour for text colouring.

Steven

• Administrator
this has the change as described:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_1/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

also i have added a +text? checkbox. When ticked the text is coloured

outlawza

As the OP I just want to say: thanks so much Steven!
I want to use this feature to create visual cues for the key of songs, as well as create bookmarks for my now playing list and and and, this is awesome!

Also, the ability to assign colour by any rule is a far better implementation than my concept.

Great work, donation time!

paq

Just curious and looking for some inspiration - what rules are you guys using together with this feature? :)