Author Topic: For Mac owners, there IS a way to run MusicBee!  (Read 35261 times)

Vinyl Wiper

G'day all,

I posted this originally in the "Porting to OS X" thread, but I thought it might be useful for some other Mac owners who haven't considered running an emulator.

This shows MusicBee 2.0 RC1 running on a Macbook Pro, on OS X Lion (10.7.4).

The most time-consuming part was actually installing Windows XP, but that can be done in less than half an hour; and for AUD$90 for the full version of Parallels Desktop 7.0 for the Mac, I reckon it's a pretty sweet deal (especially now that I have a real file manager as well (Opus)).

No, it's not perfect, but it worked for me, and I'm using the same music library on my desktop system (Win7 x64 Ultimate, MB 2.0 RC1) and the Mac, and performance is more-or-less equivalent. It's certainly not annoyingly slow...

I hope this helps anyone with a desire to get a REAL music player on the otherwise music-less Mac!

N.B. This is actually really simple to set up if you're at all familiar with the Mac and Windows, but if anyone isn't, I'd be more than happy to help out with any specific details of what steps to take and so on. It ain't rocket surgery, but it can be a bit intimidating I guess!

(FWIW, I'm not associated with Apple or Parallels or MusicBee or Microsloth, I just wanted to offer some hope to any despairing Mac owner wanting to use the Best Music Manager Application In The Known Multiverse...)

PuntoBee

Thanks for this post, ran across it in Google which is what inspired me to give it a try. Currently running MB 2.1 on Mountain Lion using VMware (isolated, not integrated). In Unity mode it becomes another window in OS X and works almost exactly like a native program.

Still waiting for the other shoe to drop because it seems too good to be true, but hopefully others will be able to do this and escape the ridiculous mess that iTunes has become.

Dingusamongus

I'm cross posting a little, just to say I've tried (very recently) to get crossover to work with this.  It is ok.  It only lets Musicbee, be a player, and ok library manager, but using the tagging look-ups doesn't work.  You also can't transcode or convert files from say flac to mp3, which Musicbee in Windows does so wonderfully.

Musicbee is the bomb, and it would kill anything that is currently on Macs, including Itunes.  If there was a way to help fund/crowd fund the devleopment of Musicbee for Mac, I would be the first to throw my money at it.  I use both Windows and Mac, so at least I can run it on my Windows desktop.  So here is hoping one day....