Author Topic: Textured/picture themes?  (Read 21750 times)

9cupsoftea

This might be utterly impossible to do, and I posted about some aesthetic changes I'd like in the version 2.1 topic already, but I thought I'd post this in a new topic to avoid cluttering that one up more than I already have.

I was thinking that maybe it would be cool if musicbee could use textures or pictures within its themes, instead of just picking colours to create a theme. Along the lines of personas in firefox, gmail or chrome themes. Again, I have no idea how easy this is, but I've seen some amazing stuff done with musicbee already and if this possible, I think it could really set musicbee apart from many other players in an utterly unique way.

Here's some examples of what I mean:

Chrome metal theme

Fishy firefox persona

gmail wood theme

Again, I'm not sure how easy this would be, but it seems to me they're mostly just background images which are discoloured/distorted by what is in background or foreground. Does anyone know if this is impossible?

edit: not sure why they didn't work, I was using snag.gy. Hopefully this works now
Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 06:39:50 PM by 9cupsoftea

ma_t14

SimonBRT

A nice idea if it could be tastefully implemented...

9cupsoftea

A nice idea if it could be tastefully implemented...

I think if the possibility to do it was there then we'd see people implementing it in all kinds of ways (tastefully or not!). People are already making great themes  for musicbee and that number can only increase (I've long wanted to give it a try myself). The firefox persona gallery really took off superbly when they implemented it - there are a lot of tacky ones there, but there are many more great themes available now.

lanning

I like the idea, obviously not everything can be tasteful but just the ability of making those kinds of designs means there's more chance of something really neat than if it wasn't there at all (I'm sure some joker will make the equivalent of Comic Sans just for a laugh). I'm a chrome user and if you look through some of the nicer themes on there you'll probably notice all the best ones use textures.

Steven

• Administrator
what is achievable and i have in mind is to enhance the Compact Player, probably so its skinnable but definitely such that the standard layout supports a Zune like layout (without the left navigator) - i have seen some really nice foobar skins based off Zune and should be quite straight-forward to implement.
But this wouldnt be for the main musicbee application window though.
I will post a mockup later in the week when i get time