Author Topic: Combining filters.  (Read 4626 times)

Pedrozo

It would be nice, if it had been a possibility.

HHM

omg, MusiBee is such a powerful porogram - I use it for a year and only now I've found there are these filters:)

Pedrozos idea is good, +1.

paq

Then the question needs to be asked, should it show the intersection of files (those who are common in both filters) or a combination of tracks in both?

Zak

• Global Moderator
Perhaps easier to implement:

Create a new "type" of rule for the Filter Editor dialog which indicates which other existing filters you want to match. This also addresses paq's question without confusing the existing UI.

From the example in the screenshot, you could create a new Filter with the rules:
Filter > includes > CD
Filter > includes > FLAC
If you want a union of the matches, select "Match any of the following rules". If you want the intersection, select "Match all of the following rules".

Only drawback I can see is that you'd end up with semi-duplicate filter entries with names like "CD and FLAC", "CD or FLAC" etc.
Bee excellent to each other...

Pedrozo

Then the question needs to be asked, should it show the intersection of files (those who are common in both filters) or a combination of tracks in both?
Good question paq. I was thinking only about intersection. Be good, if Stiven can add all Basic Operations from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_%28mathematics%29  but it's very hard to do for more that 2 filters, and impossible without hanging UI.

Roadrunner

Why not just use the existing Track Browser?

There you could combine up to 6 different tags. You can customize the layout under Edit -> Preferences ->Layout in the "main panel" part. In the main panel itself you can choose which tags are important to you by right-clicking on the column header. It the Track Browser is not visible at the moment, just activate it by clicking the icon left to the search field and selecting "Show Track Browser". Each column allows multiple selections.

Zak

• Global Moderator
The Track Browser could substitute for some simple filtering scenarios, but doesn't offer anywhere near the functionality of the filtering rules.

It also doesn't address the reason I suspect most people use filters, which is to work with only a subset of a large collection at one time.
Bee excellent to each other...

Roadrunner

My answer concerned primarily Pedrozo's suggestion which seemed to be easier to match.

But what you'd like to do might already be possible too (not in every combination of course but I think for most): In the filter dialogue you can choose "is one of" and then enter a list of values in the popup window (enter each value on a separate line).