Author Topic: MusicBee Remote (Remote Control for Android)  (Read 496986 times)

gibletpie

I was able to get the remote working with the Windows Store version of MusicBee. I just had to add a rule to let incoming connections through in Windows Defender Firewall. It's a bit tricky, because Windows 10 will not usually let you see the folder where it stores its apps. You want to:

Go to Control Panel.
Select Windows Defender Firewall.
Click Advanced Settings on the left.
Click Inbound Rules on the top left, then on the top right, click New Rule.
Select the Program radio button and click Next.
Select This program path and click Browse.
In the left-most part of the address bar, click the folder icon, so it shows the full path, and then paste this into the address bar:
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\50072stevenmayall.musicbee_3.2.3.0_x86__kcr266et74avj\win32 (This is where it was stored for me anyway. You can always go up a folder level or two and poke around if you have trouble.)
Then select the MusicBee.exe. Click Next.
Allow the Connection.
Then select the network types on which you want to accept the incoming connections.

After that, my remote worked.
Good luck!

crosstown_traffic

Hi there! Longtime listener, first-time poster. I'm a bit of a plugin noob, but does anyone know how to solve the issue of only the first 200 tracks in a playlist being displayed?

I have some large-scale playlists, but I'm only seeing 200 tracks consistently when I stream via this plugin.

Found an old response  from the venerable Steven:

The Playlist feature at the moment has a limit to up to 200 tracks. I am not sure about the actual limit but when I tried to pull a 5000+ track I couldn't get them through.
if this is important for your application, it might be because you are using
NowPlayingList_QueryGetAllFiles()
try instead:
NowPlayingList_QueryFiles(null)
and loop using NowPlayingList_QueryGetNextFile()

But I'm not sure how to make this change...I don't see it in the settings. Any help is greatly appreciated!

boroda

crosstown_traffic

its not the settings, its about plugin source code.  :-\

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you happen to know where in the source code this change (or these changes) need to be made? I've also never compiled a program from source code before, so any help would be appreciated.

boroda

i'm not sure if source code of this plugin is publicly available.

stardepp

Since my smartphone has Android 9, MusicBee Remote App does not start, meaning when I start in MusicBee PC and then start the MusicBee app on my phone, it does not show the current song, even though the Android plugin succeeds with the PC connected is.
I go to where MusicBee Remote Plugin is installed and clear the cache and memory contents, then start the MusicBee Remote app again, and it immediately shows what MusicBee PC is playing.

I have to repeat this every time I restart Music PC Android.

What can this be and can you fix that?

frankz

Since my smartphone has Android 9, MusicBee Remote App does not start, meaning when I start in MusicBee PC and then start the MusicBee app on my phone, it does not show the current song, even though the Android plugin succeeds with the PC connected is.
I go to where MusicBee Remote Plugin is installed and clear the cache and memory contents, then start the MusicBee Remote app again, and it immediately shows what MusicBee PC is playing.

I have to repeat this every time I restart Music PC Android.

What can this be and can you fix that?
Developer may get notified of this message and respond here, but he hasn't been active on the forum since last June.  You might have better luck raising it as an issue on Github.  He does seem to still be working on the plugin.

kelsos

I used to get e-mail notifications about posts on the forum, but at some point the last year they completely stopped and I didn't have much time to check the forum.

I was still answering support questions this past year, despite not actively developing the project, but the questions would arrive mostly by mail (either directly or through the in-app feedback form).

While I will still try to browse the forum from now on, the safest way to reach me is via e-mail, or for issues through GitHub. I usually reply to most of the e-mails.

On the remote front, I am currently trying to pick up development from where I left last year before I moved to Germany from Greece.

Unfortunately, while the plugin refactoring was mostly done and it seems to be in a good working condition the same doesn't apply to the application.

My current application codebase seems to be mostly broken. I am in the process of rewriting a large part of it and adding tests for most of the parts. This obviously will take a while, since I have to bring the application along with the optimizations to at least the state it was in the previous version, before starting to add new features.

@stardepp that seems weird I have never encountered it. If you change tracks do you get the information displayed of the next track? is it on the initial connection only or it persists?

@crosstown_traffic Which playlist is this that shows only 200 tracks (NowPlaying)? I had a hardcoded limit in the past but I am under the impression that on the latest version I replaced it with pagination so it should fetch everything.

Also if you are experiencing connectivity issues, it seems that the biggest number of connectivity issues I had reported in the past year was due to Windows Firewall resetting the configuration during Windows updates.

stardepp

@kelsos Recently, the Android remote works again error free.

I like this remote very much and makes MusicBee even more valuable.  ;)

kelsos

@kelsos Recently, the Android remote works again error free.

I like this remote very much and makes MusicBee even more valuable.  ;)

Good to know.

Dougfred

Just downloaded fresh copy of the remote app & reset the Connection in "Settings". All good to go no drama!

Currently running Android 9 on Samsung S8.    :)

foxj

Using a S7 here. What had me was i did not have my network profile settings turned on. It's the simple things sometimes.

Example: