Author Topic: MusicBee Remote (Remote Control for Android)  (Read 497006 times)

frankz

Have you read the OP of this thread?
Warning! Although it is possible to use the remote through a 3G or remote internet connection, the suggested operation model over a Wifi LAN connection. Use it only if you know exactly what are you doing. Support for the NAT configuration of your router will not be provided.

Also, the website that post directs you to offers very detailed configuration instructions.

https://mbrc.kelsos.net/help/

marp68

Have you read the OP of this thread?
Warning! Although it is possible to use the remote through a 3G or remote internet connection, the suggested operation model over a Wifi LAN connection. Use it only if you know exactly what are you doing. Support for the NAT configuration of your router will not be provided.

Also, the website that post directs you to offers very detailed configuration instructions.

https://mbrc.kelsos.net/help/

I used the Help section
https://mbrc.kelsos.net/help/#installation

And I have 4G, not 3 G. And there is no mentioning about connecting laptop trhrough hotspot. I unfortunately don't understand fully  what the OP means about the "the suggested operation model over a Wifi LAN connection".

PLease advice, if you know or think is wrong. What does, for example, the error message "a remote service cannot be found" means? The plugin is up and running fine. Seems that it's the app that doesn't find the MB plugin. Or?

frankz

And I have 4G, not 3 G.

I don't think there's any reason to be snippy. Clearly by 3G he means a cellular data connection. 3G was the standard for a cellular data connection in 2012 when it was written.

I unfortunately don't understand fully  what the OP means about the "the suggested operation model over a Wifi LAN connection".
It means that the intended use is between devices on the same LAN connected through a router. Other uses are not recommended unless "you know exactly what you are doing."

Remote Service not found probably means you need to open the port in your firewall so the app can see the plugin.  Don't know if that's the greatest idea unless both devices are on the same network unless "you know exactly what you are doing."
Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 05:19:59 PM by frankz

marp68

And I have 4G, not 3 G.

I don't think there's any reason to be snippy. Clearly by 3G he means a cellular data connection. 3G was the standard for a cellular data connection in 2012 when it was written.

I unfortunately don't understand fully  what the OP means about the "the suggested operation model over a Wifi LAN connection".
It means that the intended use is between devices on the same LAN connected through a router. Other uses are not recommended unless "you know exactly what you are doing."

Remote Service not found probably means you need to open the port in your firewall so the app can see the plugin.  Don't know if that's the greatest idea unless both devices are on the same network unless "you know exactly what you are doing."

Thanks for taking your time

I'm actually not snippy, sorry if it sounded like that. Just thought it had to do only with 3G. Don't understand fully these thing. Learning by doing. :)

Does this mean that it's dangerous doing it using ha phone hotspot as the connection point? Since I tried it, at least I know now that nothing seems to be malfunctioning. Unless it created a security issue that I now don't know about.

Thanks for the recommendation about the firewall. I think I saw some posts about people that had done that to get it to work properly. Will see if I can find good instructions.

marp68

I have now connected the phone via wifi to external router and the laptop to the same router. I then do the scan and get the "a remote service cannot be found" message. 

But then I also get a message in smaller text at the bottom: "failed to connect to /"my ip address"(port 3000):connect failed:ENETUNREACH(NEtwork is unre..."

Does that tell someone something?

I have checked and allowed both MB and MB Remote in the firewall. There were actually two MB and one MB Remote.

Laurent

No multigenre

Just installed MBR. Works pretty fine, thank you very much.... except.. only tracks with single genre are displayed in Genres..!!

I have many albums with Genre like:

Electronic; Ambient; Berlin-School

None of them appears under listed genre Electronic or Ambient, just albums having ONLY these either two tags.

As for Berlin-School being always being a sub-genre listed after a major genre, it is not even in the Genres list, despite having 137 albums in MB.

Fortunately, albums, artists and tracks are in the other lists of MBR.

I can only guess that the ";" in Genre is the issue with MBR.

Leadpin

I have a problem, cannot connect the remote to my pc. The Log keep spamming this

2020-04-22 15:36:06.9875 [DEBUG]
MusicBeePlugin.AndroidRemote.Networking.SocketServer : 0
Received by client: HBndtFK8 message --> GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: 192.168.0.117:8000
Connection: keep-alive
Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/81.0.4044.113 Safari/537.36
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,image/apng,*/*;q=0.8,application/signed-exchange;v=b3;q=0.9
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.9

04/22/2020 15:36:06 : OnDataReceived: Socket has been closed

foxj

I have now connected the phone via wifi to external router and the laptop to the same router. I then do the scan and get the "a remote service cannot be found" message.  

But then I also get a message in smaller text at the bottom: "failed to connect to /"my ip address"(port 3000):connect failed:ENETUNREACH(NEtwork is unre..."

Does that tell someone something?

I have checked and allowed both MB and MB Remote in the firewall. There were actually two MB and one MB Remote.
Sorry for any redundancy

Your router needs to be set up to allow traffic to flow between the two networks. In the case where you are connecting to the wifi on the same router as your PC. You should first download an app to your phone that would do some network discovery and port scanning. Use Network Utilities by First Row i just verified will work as i describe using an android device. After connecting to your WIFI run its IP Discovery option. If it can't find your PC make adjustments to your router until it does. Once it does find and show your PC's  IP address you should be golden. If you still can't connect. Make sure MusicBee is up and running and use the Port Scanner option of the utility with the default port of 3000 or whatever other OPEN port you may have set MusicBee remote to listen to.  

The other question you asked was about using your cellular network to access MusicBee Remote. Again this is a function of your router using Network Address Translation AKA NAT or port forwarding. I DO NOT RECOMMEND hanging open ports directly to the Wild, Wild, West. Your router may already have the functionality to use a client-based VPN. This means that after setting up the routers VPN you would use an app on your phone to connect to your router via a cellular network and once it connects it should drop you on your network. You could then verify connectivity to your PC using the same utility as above.

and if it still doesn't work i believe there is an older thread about a PC share setting you may need to change.

Good Luck

smann

No multigenre

Just installed MBR. Works pretty fine, thank you very much.... except.. only tracks with single genre are displayed in Genres..!!

I have many albums with Genre like:

Electronic; Ambient; Berlin-School

None of them appears under listed genre Electronic or Ambient, just albums having ONLY these either two tags.

As for Berlin-School being always being a sub-genre listed after a major genre, it is not even in the Genres list, despite having 137 albums in MB.

Fortunately, albums, artists and tracks are in the other lists of MBR.

I can only guess that the ";" in Genre is the issue with MBR.

This is most likely an issue with your music player on your phone not being able to parse the separate genres with ";" between. Most phone music managers/players don't support multi-genres by default since they are the most basic of basic players. What app are you using on your phone?

Or maybe you have Preferences > Devices > [Your Device Here] > Settings > "Replace genre tag with genre category" and they are being replaced with a generic genre.
Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 10:30:01 AM by smann

rockberto

Hello to all!
I'm a new user on MusicBee and MusicBee Remote.  Very good.
I noticed that on the display of the phone in now playing mode, the covers are cut above and below. Is there a way to adjust the display? Thanks

DuxCorvan

For several times now, I'm getting this error after leaving the PC alone and MusicBee running (not playing) for half an hour or so. Then MusicBee just CTDs:

MusicBee v3.3.7367.39948Store (Win10.0), 4 jul. 2020 12:24:

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): La dirección solicitada no es válida en este contexto
   en System.Net.Sockets.Socket.SendTo(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags, EndPoint remoteEP)
   en System.Net.Sockets.UdpClient.Send(Byte[] dgram, Int32 bytes, IPEndPoint endPoint)
   en MusicBeePlugin.AndroidRemote.Networking.ServiceDiscovery.SendResponse(Dictionary`2 notify, IPEndPoint mEndPoint, UdpClient udpClient)
   en MusicBeePlugin.AndroidRemote.Networking.ServiceDiscovery.OnDataReceived(IAsyncResult ar)
   en System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
   en System.Net.ContextAwareResult.CompleteCallback(Object state)
   en System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   en System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   en System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   en System.Net.ContextAwareResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
   en System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.ProtectedInvokeCallback(Object result, IntPtr userToken)
   en System.Net.Sockets.BaseOverlappedAsyncResult.CompletionPortCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped)
   en System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.PerformIOCompletionCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* pOVERLAP)

foxj

It might be helpful if you wrote a bit more about your environment and posted the last log entries for MB and turn on the debug log for the app to see if that captures additional relevant information.
Does the machine put itself to sleep and you see that it executed when you wake it up. Doe the mobile device have its power savings on?
Is the machine all updated?
Network card drivers etc?
Have you added exceptions for MB and dll to your AV apps

this was something suggested for the error with Sockets
http://Https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-please-help-me-how-to-handle-this/001b04ea-de9b-4eb6-872a-faf09690b8cd

I have used the app for 2 years on a win 10 device with multiple phones being used to control the app - it never misbehaved.

MegasXLR

• Music Lover #1 <3
Hello,

I just downloaded the Remote app and the Pause/Play as well as Next/Previous buttons work great but if I want to play a Playlist from the app it doesn't always work. Sometimes when I tap on the playlist name it will indeed start it on my PC but if I tap on another playlist it won't do anything. There's no crashes or anything, it just doesn't play the tapped playlist. And it's for random playlists I think as one might not play but the one below it may play when tapped. Any idea what's up with this? Tried refreshing the Playlists page by swiping down on it but still the same. It's not a big deal as I will mostly just use the Play/Pause button from bed but yeah.

I love rock/metal/pop but don't mind any other music genre except чалга...that thing sux
I also love cars

PS I'm friendly

ii

Hello,
I've been using MBR for a while, been using it every day quite a lot,
recently I just can't connect to my library through my phone no matter what I tried 
I just keep scanning forever, If i try to enter the details manually I just don't get a connection.
did everything I could think of from opening ports in my firewall to port forwarding in my router.
any chance any one could offer me any help? I'd be very grateful.
can't add the debug log but im getting a lot of

" 2020-09-27 23:30:11.3009 [DEBUG]
sending-all: {"context":"ping","data":""}

2020-09-27 23:30:11.3009 [DEBUG]
Ping: 27/09/2020 20:30:11
"
if there's  a way to provide the full log please tell me.

Thanks a lot, I.

kelsos

Like always after some point, the notifications on new replies stop coming :'(

@marp68 if your computer is connected to a hotspot that is created by your phone then the application, unfortunately, won't work. I tried it a couple of times and I could not make it work. It seems that in hotspot the phone won't be able to connect to services running on the connected devices.

@rockberto no, unfortunately, I planned to do that at some point but a lot of things happened.

@Laurent the issue is with the remote, it doesn't support multi-tags unfortunately.

Also, I decided to put the application into unpublished mode on Play Store. This means that new users will not be able to find the application anymore. It should still work as before for existing users.

The main reasoning is that there is a lot of work to be done, the application has not been updated for years and I cannot guarantee any updates in a timely manner. My reality is that in the past 2 months I had the capacity to work on the remote for only a couple of hours.