Author Topic: MusicBee Remote (Remote Control for Android)  (Read 497059 times)

YonluTheWizard

Hello, I am trying to set up the remote and I am having some trouble. I followed all the installation steps correctly, but when I enter the IP and port info in the app nothing happens. So far i've tried to troubleshoot by running musicbee as admin and going into windows firewall to make sure both MB and the remote plugin are allowed, but still it does not work. I also tried making a custom rule in the firewall for the port the plugin is using and that didn't work either. Not really sure what to try next, so any help would be appreciated.

kelsos

Hello, I am trying to set up the remote and I am having some trouble. I followed all the installation steps correctly, but when I enter the IP and port info in the app nothing happens. So far i've tried to troubleshoot by running musicbee as admin and going into windows firewall to make sure both MB and the remote plugin are allowed, but still it does not work. I also tried making a custom rule in the firewall for the port the plugin is using and that didn't work either. Not really sure what to try next, so any help would be appreciated.

Hey there, if it is not the firewall then any information you could provide about your network setup would potentially help us troubleshoot it. I am aware that there are some network setups that isolate the wireless access points from the wired clients and other wireless access points. Do you have other apps that work normally between your phone and computer, especially apps that don't rely on any external services?

whismerhill

Hello
Thanks for an amazing app & plugin.
I can't seem to make it work
Computer is detected by phone (proper IP & port) but
the phone says : "Socket Closed"

phone : Xiaomi Redmi Note 7

computer : MusicBee 3.3.7261

Firewall : went all out on this one
enabled network discovery
tried automatic rule setup, since that created a rule but didn't change the "socket closed" issue I tried opening it even more
(allow any connection from anywhere, any port) without success

NOTES: I filter both inbound & outbound traffic though musicbee.exe is already allowed to go out.

at this point I wonder if the phone is not the issue

EDIT: it works, I focused on the connection screen that would say "socket error" but it was working all this time along
it was an interpretation thing more than anything  :)

below remains true though

other notes : I had to "allow all" in address filtering
otherwise "Range" wasn't working and the plugin would say : Status : Stopped
however that's actually redundant with firewall that is perfectly able to filter out unwanted connections with a proper configuration, so imho this configuration is unneeded

one more thing though, if the maximum was set to 255 it would cause errors, that were only fixable by editing the xml file directly
(it would crash musicbee
Code
MusicBee v3.3.7261.33657P  (Win10.0), 25 déc. 2019 6:54:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at MusicBeePlugin.InfoWindow.HandleSaveButtonClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 07:23:32 AM by whismerhill

kelsos

hey whismerhill, thanks for reporting :) I will try to have a look at it.

Nubblez

Hi Kelsos

I tried searching for it in this thread, but haven't seen mention of this specific issue before:

When toggling between "Repeat" modes on the app, it only allows me to switch between Repeat On and Repeat Off.  It skips the 'Repeat One' option.  When I switch to the Repeat One option in MusicBee itself, an icon does show up on the app that indicates it's now in "Repeat One" mode.  So while the app does recognize that setting, it just doesn't allow you to switch to it.  I was wondering whether it might just be a bug, or if the "Repeat One" setting was specifically excluded from the app.

I've tested this on a Android 9 and Android 4 phone.

Thanks again for the app - I use it everyday and it's fantastic!
Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 07:03:54 PM by Nubblez

kelsos

Hey there, I haven't checked the API documentation recently, and I am not sure if it is still the case, but originally I recall that you could not set the Repeat "One" through the API. This was off course a few years ago, so I am not sure if things have changed since then.

It is not a bug per se but I will have a look at the latest API and fix it if the option is now available.

Nubblez

foxj

Is there or could there be any consideration to add a feature to the plugin so that it would be able to change the sound device?
For instance, a machine could have direct connected audio jacks but also one or multiple USB connected audio components that could be feeding speakers in a different room.
It could also be helpful with USB devices when windows does not automatically switch to a device when they are turned on.

kelsos

Is there or could there be any consideration to add a feature to the plugin so that it would be able to change the sound device?
For instance, a machine could have direct connected audio jacks but also one or multiple USB connected audio components that could be feeding speakers in a different room.
It could also be helpful with USB devices when windows does not automatically switch to a device when they are turned on.

On the latest master the plugin already supports switching output devices. If I manage to finish the app rewrite it would be included. The problem is that some of the features are really broken in the rewrite, especially the Library that I am currently working on so that might take a while.

foxj

Yo, Thanks for writing back. I seem to be pretty good testing applications, I could debug if you wanted. I have  vs2017 pro + and a Google Dev account. I forgot the code was on git. I am a novice but I'll go git the code.

scatterkeir

Thanks for a great plugin and app, three little things - these are all minor and I'd remain delighted with the app if they were never addressed:

1) Unnecessary scrolling seems to sometimes occur on the track details, in landscape mode at least - partly it seems to depend on whether the track playing before had long details or short details - if they were short, it's as if the details are displaying in a dynamically resizing box that doesn't resize, or something. Skipping to a longer-titled track and back again can fix it, so can rotating the device to portrait orientation and then back again.

2) Some of my cover artwork is not square, and I'd prefer to see the whole thing rather than part of it, either as default or as an option.

3) I often use Musicbee Remote casting to my television from my android tablet, despite presumably not being designed with such large screens in mind it looks great, except for one little thing - the edge of the orange circle around the central play/pause button is noticably ragged and blurry.

EDITED TO ADD: Regarding number 1, it seems that even tilting the tablet a tiny bit fixes it! [EDITED FURTHER: That works sometimes, not other times, but fully tilting it to portrait and back always works]
Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 11:49:04 AM by scatterkeir

frankz

This is not the thread for that plug-in.

This is the thread for that plugin.

This is the plugin for this thread.

nounours18200

Oups, sorry ! So:

I will try to remove my previous post
I will also try to install the proper plugin, maybe it will solve my problem,
and I come back after a test of this plugin

Thank you

Edit: After the installation of the right plugin, everything runs perfectly ! Thank you,
Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 06:02:51 PM by nounours18200

marp68

I dont' get the app to work. The plugin seems okej, says it's running. I add my laptop in the settings in the app as instructed. But when I try to scan, I get the message that "the service is only available on a wifi connection". I use the hot-spot feature on the phone to connect the laptop to the internet.

Does this mean the remote doesn't work then? Is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance. Would be great to be able to use the remote

marp68

I now connected both the phone and the laptop  to a router, and the the app now Scans, but get the message that "a remote service cannot be found". What does that mean?

And must I have the phone connected to wifi instead of my phone's data plan to be able to use the app? I don't have a router in my home. Always use hotspot to connect laptop.

Please advice