Author Topic: Automated genre tagger (per album or track)  (Read 8565 times)

john6555

Using last.fm or discogs, would you be able to make a genre auto-tagger that will automatically tag the track/album? With last.fm it would be cool if you had the option to automatically tag multiple genres at once.

PS. By the way, not sure if you've seen Muso yet but they have some interesting ideas for library display, like: http://klarita.net/muso_byartist.png ... maybe a side note for future inspiration, although you're doing an awesome job so far! :)
Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 06:12:55 AM by john6555

phred

• Global Moderator
While I place more emphasis on an application's functionality, the Muso screen shot does indeed make a nice aesthetic presentation.  Any chance of working something like that into the library display options in the future, Steven?

John6555 - Thanks for sharing that.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
i certainly makes it an interesting experience browsing that way with the only thing i am thinking wouldnt work so well was if you had many artists or albums.

just regarding the original point, the auto-tagger already retrieves genres from last.fm and discogs so did you mean a specific batch auto-tagging function that only updates genre?

john6555

Yes, that's exactly what I  was getting at Steven. Actually it could be handy to have separate batch functions to update different specific as well, but I think the genre field is maybe the most intriguing, especially the capability to tag with multiple genres from last.fm at once.

john6555

Actually aTunes (which doesn't compare to MB by a long shot) has this type of thing already. From the 'tag' context menu you can set a handful of different tags automatically (lyrics, genre, title, cover). I can't find a screenshot of that unfortunately, but it works pretty slick.

Steven

• Administrator
you can already automatically update genre but its not specific to genre and only retrieves one genre
right-click> Auto-Tag by Track> Update Missing Tags

i'll add in an option to > Update Genre
where you will have the option to retrieve a single or multiple genres and for multi-genre choose the maximum number of genres (last.fm can have a huge number of genre tags associated with track)

john6555

Which tags does "Update missing tags" look at? Just genre/artist/album/title/track?

I think the multiple genre option from last.fm will be a really neat feature, so long as the first genre is always the primary (displayed) genre like you mentioned in this thread:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=674.0

Thanks Steven, you rock !!

Steven

• Administrator
auto-tag genre only included in the latest 1.2 beta, with the ability to auto-tag multiple genres per track

john6555

Nice, that was quick! Will the first genre always be the displayed genre in MB too? So there is not the issue between multiple libraries when the genre shows up like "Electronic;French;Ambient" ?

ionut

The results are strange. For example, MusicBee finds three genres for this song: Wagner Pa - Folia.

Leiwand - Barrio Latino
Leiwand4u Fm
Leiwand - Global Village

If I use Last.fm's API to get the top tags, I get much better results: lounge, reggae, brasil.

http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/2.0/?method=track.gettoptags&artist=wagner+pa&track=folia&api_key=b25b959554ed76058ac220b7b2e0a026

Even the keywords tag from the Edit dialog shows strange results: catalan brazilian, leiwand - barrio latino, leiwand - global village, leiwand4u fm.

Steven

• Administrator
Nice, that was quick! Will the first genre always be the displayed genre in MB too? So there is not the issue between multiple libraries when the genre shows up like "Electronic;French;Ambient" ?
anything thats already set that will need to be manually changed. But going forward it should set the first as the default display genre

ionut

I see what's going on: you're using artist.gettoptags instead of track.gettoptags. That's not a good idea:

* all the songs from an artist will have the same tags/genres
* just because Yann Tiersen has many instrumental songs, it doesn't mean that all his songs are instrumental

Steven

• Administrator
The results are strange. For example, MusicBee finds three genres for this song: Wagner Pa - Folia.

Leiwand - Barrio Latino
Leiwand4u Fm
Leiwand - Global Village

If I use Last.fm's API to get the top tags, I get much better results: lounge, reggae, brasil.

http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/2.0/?method=track.gettoptags&artist=wagner+pa&track=folia&api_key=b25b959554ed76058ac220b7b2e0a026

Even the keywords tag from the Edit dialog shows strange results: catalan brazilian, leiwand - barrio latino, leiwand - global village, leiwand4u fm.
i'm actually using this method:
http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/2.0/artist/Wagner+Pa/toptags.xml
which returns the results you see, but i'll change it to use the api call you suggest

john6555

Would that new API call still grab artist genres, and not per-track genres? For tagging albums at once for example, I think you would want consistent tags, not different from track to track.

Steven

• Administrator