Author Topic: Instrumental music  (Read 5047 times)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8878 P
When tagging a file as "mark as having no lyrics" could MB display "Instrumental" rather than "No lyrics" in the lyrics panel please?

If I'm using Theater Mode, and quickly glance at the screen, I find "No lyrics" too similar to "No lyrics found".
I'm forever thinking "I'm sure I fixed that last time", only to find, on closer inspection, I did! :D
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
+1 For logics
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

Zak

• Global Moderator
There is the possibility that a track may not have lyrics but also not be instrumental (eg audio books, podcasts, speeches), so it may be better to show nothing at all.
Bee excellent to each other...

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
I guess so- maybe 'Not Applicable' or some variation then?
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

Bee-liever

There is the possibility that a track may not have lyrics but also not be instrumental (eg audio books, podcasts, speeches), so it may be better to show nothing at all.

Then "Not Applicable" would have to be the next best idea.

I suppose the other way would be for me to write a script that looked at my genre/style tags and if it was tagged as classical, instrumental, ambient, trance, jazz, or bigband, MB will write "Instrumental" as the lyric. ???

Zak

• Global Moderator
I suppose the other way would be for me to write a script that looked at my genre/style tags and if it was tagged as classical, instrumental, ambient, trance, jazz, or bigband, MB will write "Instrumental" as the lyric. ???
If by "script" you mean Virtual Tag then it probably wouldn't be too difficult for Steven to support virtual tags in the lyrics field.

Then people could insert their own values based on the presence or lack of lyrics, track genres etc.

Something like:
$IsNull(<Lyrics>,$If(<Genre>=Classical,[n/a],No lyrics),<Lyrics>)
Bee excellent to each other...

Bee-liever

If by "script" you mean Virtual Tag then it probably wouldn't be too difficult for Steven to support virtual tags in the lyrics field.

Nah, for this I would use the  scripting functions in MP3Tag.  Some of my files have multiple genres and it's easier checking those through there than MB
Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 02:22:26 AM by Bee-liever

phred

• Global Moderator
Just thinking through my own library, if you use a script to accomplish this, how would you handle the exceptions?  Specifically I'm thinking of jazz and big band tracks that have vocalists.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Bee-liever

I use the a custom tag, "Style", in my library so that tracks like ·Ella Fitzgerald and her Savoy 8 - Shine (1936)· can have,

<Genre>:Jazz
<Style>:Early Jazz;Vocal Jazz

and ·Glenn Miller and his Orchestra - Chattanooga Choo Choo (1941),

<Style>:Big Band;Traditional Pop;Vocal

while ·Dave Pike - Jet Set (1966) has

<Style>:Smooth Jazz;Instrumental

so I can either search for "Vocal" or "Instrumental" and work from there.
One of these days I'm going to move all my Genre tags to Genre Category and then all my Style tags to Genre tags and do away with the custom tag.  Yeah.  One of these days......