Author Topic: Sort by Artist/Album Year?  (Read 23686 times)

keanex

I hope that comes out clear, but I would like it if I could sort by Artist then the next priority being the year of album release.

beeing good

Preferences>sorting/grouping. In sorting set 1 click the ... box on the right hand side. Choose Artist in the first line and then choose Year in the second line. Then in your library right click on the bar that has the sort title/album/artist/time etc, choose your sorting.

keanex

Preferences>sorting/grouping. In sorting set 1 click the ... box on the right hand side. Choose Artist in the first line and then choose Year in the second line. Then in your library right click on the bar that has the sort title/album/artist/time etc, choose your sorting.
It's sort of doing it, I have Album Artist (Ascending) and Album Year (Descending) and the albums are still out of order. I checked to see that all of the albums had the same Album artists and they do.

beeing good

Could you post a screenshot?
Are you grouping by album rather than artist?

Also, each album has a consistent year tagged?

keanex

http://i.imgur.com/oWAt7.jpg

That shows my settings

http://i.imgur.com/4LIg1.jpg

That shows I indeed have my settings checked

http://i.imgur.com/L2okT.jpg

This shows the albums not being sorted by year

http://i.imgur.com/IVNm4.jpg

This shows that all of the albums are properly tagged with the correct album artist.

Steven

• Administrator
dont use Album [Year] - split it into Album and Year separately, and set Year to sort descending
Also suggest you remove Album [Year] from the grouping in the first screen shot, but if you want to include Year as a grouing criteria then use that field (although i dont see why you would want to do that)

keanex

beeing good

Steven

• Administrator
perhaps you could describe the heirarchy you want to acheive
eg
Artist
  Year (desc)
      Album

if its the above then you need to follow the instructions given a few posts above

i also suggest you update to version 2 from the weekly updates topic

russianfolk

I'd like to see albums in order of their release, not in alphabetic order.
eg

Iggy pop
    The Idiot (1977)
    Lust for Life  (1977)
    New Values (1979)
    Soldier (1980)
    Après (2012)

Zak

• Global Moderator
It won't work for the Navigator Panel (shown in your screenshot), because each of the sorting entries there will create its own node on the tree. Although they will be in order you'll end up with an extra level for the year.

Instead, you could try:

Edit > Preferences > Tags > Custom Tags > Define New Tags...
Create a Virtual tag called "Year - Album" or such with the formula "<Year> - <Album>"

Now if you set your custom sorting rule to be Artist/Year - Album you'll get a node for each artist with all of their albums listed chronologically beneath that.
Bee excellent to each other...

xanizen

It won't work for the Navigator Panel (shown in your screenshot), because each of the sorting entries there will create its own node on the tree. Although they will be in order you'll end up with an extra level for the year.

Instead, you could try:

Edit > Preferences > Tags > Custom Tags > Define New Tags...
Create a Virtual tag called "Year - Album" or such with the formula "<Year> - <Album>"

Now if you set your custom sorting rule to be Artist/Year - Album you'll get a node for each artist with all of their albums listed chronologically beneath that.

Thanks alot this did the trick.

The 2nd column from the right appears as: [Album's year] - Album Name

:)

I hope it's possible to increase the font, and reduce the stars rating from 5 to 3.

I'm a long time of foobar, who had to come up with his own interface near similar to music bees, due to to the fact i couldn't get other people's custom skin to work properly... smh.
Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 08:48:07 PM by xanizen