Author Topic: Title Tags  (Read 4636 times)

ashash

Firstly I want to thank Steven got the good work. I really love this program except for a simple thing or 2 that's missing.

As I have a lot of rare music, non-studio music like my own recordings or downloaded stull from youtube, I'd appreciate having MusicBee display the Title of the song in the library as the filename as a default when the title tag is unpopulated.

Thanks a lot.

ma_t14

While the current behaviour encourages people to tag their files (which is a good thing) it's not a bad idea to have it as an option but not by default

ashash

You've got a point but when the files look like this it's hard for me to even start tagging

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2347/71147301.png

I'll be happy to have it as an option if that's what the other users want based on the way I have my files right now this is really bugging me because I like the other features of musicbee a lot
Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 06:08:14 PM by ashash

Anti

> it's hard for me to even start tagging

You could start by selecting a bunch of tracks that have a similar naming pattern, then:
right-click -> auto-tag by track -> infer and update tags from filename.
Make the template fit the pattern of the filename.
Eg. for 'ACDC - Dirty Deeds - 02- love at first feel.mp3', you would create the template:
<album artist> - <album> - <track#> - <title>

If the files don't have fixed patterns, then just put <title> as your template.
That will achieve exactly what your requested - the entire filename (minus the extension) will become the title tag.

If you didn't want to tag the files, then you could just add the 'filename' column to your main panel. Similarly, if you made an autoplaylist or library filter of tracks that have an empty title tag, you could customise the main panel columns specifically for those tracks, replacing the title column with the filename column completely.

ashash

Ok thanks a lot, this was something new to me coming from itunes where i spend hours typing in tags manually haha

Still, having filename as a column will be a messy solution to my suggestion for it to work ( or have an option) like iTunes or mediamonkey.
Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 05:51:09 AM by ashash

Carbon6

Also, MusicBrainz picard is a very handy tool for autotagging http://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard
Make sure you pay attention to it before saving though.

ashash

Ah along with musicbee it isn't too easy to use the auto tag feature since I listen to a lot of weird stuff, but I'm sure it'll help a lot with the normal stuff.

Btw I can't use the autotag from filename, " <Title> " to tag my files when the names are in arabic. Of course I understand that it isn't a priority and arabic is upside down (rightside-left) and it may be hard to implement.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Besides Russia's entry in this year's Eurovision, what's "grandma" music?  ???
Bee excellent to each other...

paq

Another "solution" would be to create a virtual tag to show the title in the main panel. You create them in Preferences > Tags (1) > Define new tags...
Label: Virtual Title
Formula: <IsNull(<Title>,<Filename>,<Title>)>

You can then choose to display this as a column in the main panel instead of Title. Then you will see filenames, including the extension .mp3, when no title is defined. You can also choose to have this virtual tag shown in other places in MusicBee, referencing it as <Virtual Title>.

Anti

Sounds like a perfect solution.
I could never figure out what you'd use all that custom tag stuff for. Herp Derp!