Author Topic: Have Libraries remember view settings  (Read 2359 times)

Carbon6

Hi Steven,
I have 2 libraries, one for albums, which is well tagged, with all artwork complete,
& another library full of assorted d&b vinyls and Dj sets, non of which have artwork.

When I switch between libraries, I also have to keep switching main panel display mode between 'Albums & Tracks' so it shows the artwork,
and 'Track Details' so the d&b tracks without artwork are easier to navigate.

Can It done so the library remembers my main panel view settings when I swap between libraries? Or have I overlooked a option somewhere?

Anti

It's there already in Version 2 (beta): http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=5650.0 (reply #12)
I don't think it's in Version 1.x though.

In V2 you:
· right-click on a filter node in the library pane
· filters -> manage filters
· next to each filter-rule is a 'view' setting
· if you set that away from 'default' then the column setting in the main panel becomes particular to that filter
· save and close the filter manager, switch to the filter, and edit its column settings/fields.
Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:17:37 AM by Anti

Carbon6

That seems a very convoluted method, and from what I can gather, it only works effectively if I'm using one library, and i set a filter to a genre.

I have 2 libs, located on different drives & I switch between them.
The lib with the d&b and dj sets is very assorted, and poorly tagged. Setting a filter would require I tag it all with genres at least.
The simplest way to describe it, is that I'm looking for a tick-box that says 'Remember this library's layout'

Cheers for the suggestion though, I guess I'll stick to having to manually change the layout when swapping between libs.

Anti

Sorry, I assumed that you were talking about switching between two library filters, not two separate library databases.

I can't see why you'd actually be toggling between two different libraries rather than use the filters?
Using one library with filters has too many advantages over switching between separate libraries.

You mentioned genres. Just to note, filters work on all fields except the artwork field - so unfortunately you can't simply make a filter for: artwork = none. Personally what I'd do in your case is:

· highlight all my properly tagged tracks, and add the word 'main' into the 'grouping' field (or a custom field if 'grouping' is used).
· open the other library and empty the grouping field in all tracks.
· consolidate both libraries into one, and load that library.
· make a filter that says: 'grouping field' contains 'main'
· make another filter that says 'grouping has no value'
· set this second filter away from the 'default' view so it can have its own column settings.

So now you'll have library nodes:
· no filter
· tagged <--- or whatever you want to call it
· untagged <--- or whatever you want to call it

You can switch between them easily, and the untagged filter will have its own column settings. You will have a lot more freedom with regard to autoDJ and playlists, because they'll work with both your tagged and untagged 'collections' now if you want them to.

When you get round to tagging some of the tracks that aren't tagged, simply add 'main' to the grouping field to move them to the properly-tagged 'library'.
Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:09:43 PM by Anti