Author Topic: Shuffle settings for playlists  (Read 7362 times)

mozartjune

How about a setting where you can define how you would like shuffle to work in that playlist?

For example, I have a playlist where only my 'loved' songs appear and I would like to shuffle the songs individually whereas I have other playlists where I'd want to shuffle album by album everytime. 

Pingaware

Assuming you're using auto-playlists, there is such a setting. It.s called 'Select by' and can be set to album or track.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

redwing

Assuming you're using auto-playlists, there is such a setting. It.s called 'Select by' and can be set to album or track.

No, that's how to add tracks to the auto-playlist by applying defined rules either to albums or to individual tracks.

How about a setting where you can define how you would like shuffle to work in that playlist?

For example, I have a playlist where only my 'loved' songs appear and I would like to shuffle the songs individually whereas I have other playlists where I'd want to shuffle album by album everytime.  

Right-click on the main player and find shuffle setting that offers what you want.
Shuffle setting under Preferences> Now Playing is basically the same thing, but it even offers an option to shuffle tracks in an album.

mozartjune

I'm already aware that option exists. The problem is that that setting is global while I'd like it if we can have an option to have different shuffle settings for different auto-playlists or playlists.

Under playlist edit menu, if there is an option to either shuffle individually or by albums that would override the default setting that would be amazing. And I feel like this wouldn't require 10 hours to implement.
Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 07:37:54 PM by mozartjune

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8878 P

If you then set these auto or standard playlists up via Mixer list, MB will follow the 'Select by' setting and disregard the main shuffle setting for 'Individually', 'Album' and 'Grouping'.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

mozartjune

Again, this doesn't do what I'm looking for.

Bee-liever

If you then set these auto or standard playlists up via Mixer list, MB will follow the 'Select by' setting and disregard the main shuffle setting for 'Individually', 'Album' and 'Grouping'.

@ mozartjune
Did you read this part of the post as well?
That does do what you are asking for.

mozartjune

@ mozartjune
Did you read this part of the post as well?
That does do what you are asking for.
I have the shuffle setting set to 'random' and select by setting to 'track' in my playlist and it shuffles to the next album after playing all the songs in the album, which is what you'd expect when I have the select by setting selected to albums. My main shuffle setting is set to by albums rather than by tracks.

So no, it's not working correctly.

Pingaware

Have you got a playlist mixer that they're playing through? From what Beeliever's said, it sounds like that is a necessary step.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

Bee-liever

Have you got a playlist mixer that they're playing through? From what Beeliever's said, it sounds like that is a necessary step.

Exactly!! :)

auto-list set up to play a random full album (with some exceptions)

notice "select by: album"

same auto-list set up in Playlist Mixer

again, notice "select by: album"

I have my shuffle settings to 'Shuffle Randomly' and 'Shuffle Tracks Individually' but this Mixer List will play one full album after each other - not individual tracks

You can even set up different random albums by selected artists separated by a few random individual tracks. The playlists selected by album will always play full albums and the playlists selected by track will always play individual tracks.
Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 02:50:02 AM by Bee-liever

mozartjune

Ok I didn't know that existed, but that seems very impractical. Having a simple shuffle setting under playlist preferences like the main player shuffle settings would save lots of time. I wouldn't need to go to that extra step of using playlist-mixer as I just double click the playlist...

redwing

The playlist mixer's "select by" setting is not the same as player's shuffle setting because the former affects what tracks are included in the mixer. If the original playlist's select by setting is track and the mixer's select by setting is album, then new tracks will be included in the mixer, which won't occur when you play the playlist with shuffle by album setting.

Anyway personally I don't see the need for such setting for playlists as I believe player's global shuffle setting can handle those very well. But adding such options to auto-playlist won't be so difficult as it already has some shuffle setting in edit pane. However, adding the setting to static playlists would require some work.