Author Topic: Display multiple genres instead of "+"  (Read 10521 times)

Nixander

Hi Steve,
i would really like to see an option to see multiple genres in the mainpanel. Now, the genre field shows for multiple genres "first genre" with a "+".
I think its much more convinient to show the multiple genres instead of shorten them... therfore i label them, to see the label.  Also it would be great to choose the symbol which seperates the two genres like ; or / or -  .
:)

TSP

+1

About the separation character: Seems like MusicBee stores different genre tags in multiple genre fields, like this:

Genre: Electronic
Genre: Techno

If you edit the genre, it looks like:

Electronic; Techno

But this seems to be only a decision on how to display the tags.
Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:59:57 PM by TSP

stopbrickwalling

+1 and +1

I would like to see MB be able to read the multiple tags and I DEFINITELY would like for the acceptable separator to be a ";" (semi-colon).

I am coming over to MB from WMP and my multiple genre formatting from WMP is already using the ";". 

As always, I would be okay with the option to choose as others may have set up differently, but multiple genres with option to separate with a semi-colon would be greatly appreciated.

aramilmoonmist

+1 for multiple genres displaying as a comma separated list under the genre column (keeping the actual tag as semicolon separated for cross compatibility)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I like the current behavior, not taking up too much space in the main window, but displaying all genres in Track Details.  It would be nice to show it as a comma-separated list, though.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Nixander

I'd would be perfect if i could choose if i want the + or if i dond want it.

i'd would be nice to have the + option for all the other tags too, and not just for the genre tag

MeeMeeMee

+1
What OP suggests is very inline with what MediaMonkey does, which is very nice, imho.
But I'd like to expand the scope of this request to any multi-value tag, such as artist and album artist.

In my MM days I replaced the default ; with ·
It looks very nice, for example: Ralph Towner · Gary Peacock (or in bold: Ralph Towner · Gary Peacock).

All this multiple value handling"should" be:
1. For display purposes only. Tags should still be stored as multiple. However,
2. for PMPs that does not support multiple values, I'd like to see a synchronization option to either: use the first value or flatten the list to a single comma- (or semi-collon) separated value. It would be best if there will be separate settings for artists and genres so it would be possible to pick the first genre Jazz, but set artist to "Ralph Towner; Gary Peacock", for example.

What do you think?
Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:08:46 PM by MeeMeeMee
MusicBee 3.5.8516 / Windows 10 (64-bit) / Intel i5-3470 / 8GB RAM
Media on NAS (CIFS share)
20K+ tracks, predominantly FLAC ; converted to mp3 (lame -V 0) when synced to a Cowon D2+
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Get the latest patch: https://getmusicbee.com/patches/

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
I could get on board with MeeMeeMee's ideas
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

Gary Young

+1     I'd absolutely like that feature (but wouldn't miss it if not implemented).

Maybe the display of ALL genres only on mouseover would fit for me. Like the tooltip popping up when the column-width is to small to display all information.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
The display of ALL genres only on mouseover would fit for me.

This already happens for me.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Gary Young

This already happens for me.
You're right :)
Sorry, couldn't check it before posting. And never really noticed it before, to be honest.