Author Topic: complete uninstall option  (Read 13587 times)

jistme

When uninstalling MusicBee, there are still some leftovers remaining. (I suppose in appdata etc.)
As for other purposes, this also makes it impossible to make a new real clean install afterwards.

Request: when uninstalling, give the option to uninstall either MB program files only, or also all other MB files folders and settings.

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
Just use a decent uninstall method- revo, ccleaner or the like
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

DrTeeth

With all due respect, that is as helpful telling somebody to use a decent MP3 player if they report a bug in MusicBee, and just as construcive. ;).

DrT

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
With all due respect, that is as helpful telling somebody to use a decent MP3 player if they report a bug in MusicBee, and just as construcive. ;).

DrT
I disagree but okay then
RIP OiNK

nycebo

Actually, Ccleaner is a great resource for more than just clean uninstalls (my goto source to ensure complete removal).  And it's not more irrelevant to this thread than the suggestion of using albumart to find missing mp3 cover art.  It's a good suggestion until or even if the OP's request is implemented.

jistme

Even though I appreciate some suggestions for external tools to have MusicBee completely removed, it goes against my common sense to install something extra, to uninstall something.

I would think it is just proper programming to have this uninstall feature in any software.

Skoop

When uninstalling MusicBee, there are still some leftovers remaining. (I suppose in appdata etc.)
As for other purposes, this also makes it impossible to make a new real clean install afterwards.

You suppose?  You don't actually know? 

Which "leftovers" are not simply overwritten upon reinstallation?

Steven

• Administrator
the files left behind after an uninstall are files that are not part of the installation package eg. library cache, settings files etc. Thats the default behaviour of the windows installer.
i can (and at some point will) enable some of the additional files to be removed - specifically the AppData folder which includes settings, perhaps with the option of a complete uninstall to remove the default library cache

jistme

Ok, I (wrongly) assumed one of the strong points of Windows 7 was it's extended uninstall capabilities.
I'm sorry that it would be more work for you than I assumed.

This is not a real big problem of course, but for the mean time is it possible for you to indicate the location of files and folders that may be deleted manually when desiring to start with a clean slate?

edit:
I found:
- "C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee"
- "C:\Users\[Username]\Music"
- "C:\Users\[Username\AppData\Roaming\MusicBee"
I noticed the last one not being created during installation, but after first startup. (this is probably why it is missed by Windows uninstaller?)
There are also some registry entries which e.g. keep entries for MusicBee in context menu's.

Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:10:16 PM by jistme

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
'%appdata%/MusicBee' whole folder would be a good starting point. 'C:\ Program Files\ MusicBee' would be the next obvious folder to delete.
*EDIT*
I see I was beaten to it. I failed to read properly :/
RIP OiNK

jistme

I sneaked in some edits later on ;-)

Is the '%appdata%/MusicBee' you mention the same as 'my'  "C:\Users\[Username\AppData\Roaming\MusicBee" ?
(there are quite some diferent entries and locations for items like roaming, local, user, appdata etc. etc. in Windows)

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
I sneaked in some edits later on ;-)

Is the '%appdata%/MusicBee' you mention the same as 'my'  "C:\Users\[Username\AppData\Roaming\MusicBee" ?
(there are quite some diferent entries and locations for items like roaming, local, user, appdata etc. etc. in Windows)
Yes it is
RIP OiNK