Author Topic: Tip for less width in the bitrate field (Also V0 V2 talk)  (Read 16277 times)

lnminente

Instead of using "207k VBR" we could use "~207k" as  ~ means aprox. and is a term known for being used in some players.
Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:34:06 PM by lnminente

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
Better still detect lame presets such as V0, V2 which looks neater and is more accurate
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

usuallee

I think it's fine the way it is. If anything just remove the "VBR" from "207k VBR". For a bitrate like 207 it's self-evident it's VBR anyway. I don't think the ~ for approximate would be strictly accurate. 207 is not the "approximate" bitrate for that hypothetical track - it IS the bitrate (okay, average bitrate) for that track.

nycebo

Good idea.  I also like the idea of ~207k for VBR but 207k would be fine also. 

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
If preset detection is possible I'd be a very happy bunny
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

Steven

• Administrator
-1  ::)
which suggestion are you refering to and can you provide a reason for the -1?
Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 08:58:57 PM by Steven

stollentroll

sorry, didnt realize there are several options being discussed.

so, i do not think changing any of them is needed. it's fine with me just the way it is.
(just my 2cents).

best regards!  martin

Zak

• Global Moderator
I think it works fine the way it is, so it's -1 from me too.

Reason I like the status quo:

• If I select "Auto Size all Columns" the Bitrate column is just wide enough to display a fixed bitrate value in the form "192k".
    Variable bitrates aren't wide enough to fit in the column, so if I see "..." after the bitrate value, I know it's a variable bitrate file.
    (and this actually uses less room than displaying the "VBR" part).

Reasons I don't like the other proposals:

• Prepending "~" before variable bitrate values means the numerical values will no longer be aligned, and scanning down a long column of values to look for low quality files will become more difficult.
  • Not appending anything will work if the average bitrate is anything other than the standard 128, 160, 192 etc, but if you happen to have a variable bitrate file with an average bitrate of 192k it will appear to be a constant rate.

A solution that might make everyone happy is to provide some way of constructing a virtual tag that people can customise how they want.
eg

<If(<bitrateType>="VBR",~<bitrate>k, <bitrate>k)>
Bee excellent to each other...

vinki

This notation is industry's standard. Also "variable" =! "approximate", these two words have different meanings.
Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:47:25 AM by vinki

kairos

I think it's fine the way it is. Although I would be okay with changing it to display "VBR V0" or "VBR V2" or whatever as well.

Carbon6

Displaying V0 or V2 or whatever would be much better imho.