Author Topic: Album flagging  (Read 5105 times)

Doc

Hi Steven,

Thanks for creating an awesome music manager - nothing even comes close to MB :)

I have about 1,600 albums in my collection and I buy CDs regularly - the one thing I would love to see is a way to 'flag' an album, or mark it in some way, so that I could get a list of which ones I have tagged. This is (for example), if I get a new album, give it a quick listen and then want to flag it for more listening once I add it to my Music Library. Once you start to get quite a few albums, and particularly if you buy a lot at once, this would be very handy to be able to remember just what you want to listen to again :)

I always go through my collection and say "hey I really should listen to this again" and then just forget with that many albums.

This could be done in a simple way - a new item in the main tree such as 'Flagged' and then any flagged items appear in there, or perhaps adding more than just a single flag - you could add 'tags' to albums, so I could create a tag like 'listen' or 're-rip' or 'scan cover art' etc. This would make it even more flexible.

Thanks!

beeing good

I think you can already use tags by using the custom fields but I've never used this so I'm not entirely sure. But you also have the inbox, I use it to listen to albums until I an am very familiar with them and only then do I add them to the library. But failing that just create a playlist and send any albums you want to listen to more to this playlist. Call it 'Need to Listen' or something and click on the playlist when you want to listen to them. I do this as well and it works well.

Doc

I only have things in my inbox I have not listened to at all - after that, I want it in my Library, because sometimes I may come back to an album weeks or months later, I don't want it in the Inbox all that time. I buy a lot of CDs sometimes that I don't always get around to listening to straight away (right now I have 38 albums in the Inbox).

I see what you mean about the playlists, but that might end up being a hell of a long playlist :) In addition, I might be flagging an album to recommend to a friend, and in a playlist this might not be that easy to remember.

greenday1987

• Long live OiNK!
Or use the rating system somehow- exactly how you go about that depends if you currently use it or not.
RIP OiNK

I've recently joined last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/drjswho
Feel free to add me if you wish :)

EAC V1.0 beta 3 can be downloaded here
And a full guide on setting it up and ripping a CD can be here

Doc

Yeah I use ratings as they were intended :)

beeing good

I see what you mean about the playlists, but that might end up being a hell of a long playlist :) In addition, I might be flagging an album to recommend to a friend, and in a playlist this might not be that easy to remember.

Well just make multiple playlists. You could have one for recommendations and one for albums you want to listen to more. Surely it wouldn't matter how long the playlists are, you would have just as many flags in your library if something was created along those lines so what difference would it make? You could order your playlists to make it easier to see what needs to be listened to the most (play count or date added for example).

I think this the kind of thing that custom and virtual tags were made for though, you can create your own tags, it would be pretty much the same as a flag.

boroda

I think possible virtual tag function <TrackBelongsToPlaylist> could be useful in this case, so user can easily view if track is 'marked' (included in some playlist) or not.

Doc

I can see that using playlists in this way is a workaround - but I think a tag system would be so much more flexible. Such as my previous examples "scan new artwork", "download lyrics" etc.

ma_t14

Once you finish listening an album just add an album rating (different than individual track rating) to it, that way it's like it was flagged as listened  ;)

lnminente

I did that with all my library, copied all my cds to mp3 and what i did was creating subfolders in explorer: Songs selected, Albums for relistening, Unprocessed albums. It's a hard work and is good doing backups from time to time. Doing this you know how many files and gigabytes were processed and how many are waiting to be listened.
Also is recommended backing up this hard work in an external drive and if the files are not modified it can be done faster.

Doc

Once you finish listening an album just add an album rating (different than individual track rating) to it, that way it's like it was flagged as listened  ;)

It's very rare for me to rate an album after one listen :) I like to listen quite a few times, giving some time between listens too.

ma_t14

Actually that was not my point. I mean you can rate the album after as many listens as you want but unless it is rated then you know that it needs further listening for it to qualify as "flagged"/rated