Author Topic: 'screensaver' playing view mode for HTPC plasma/lcd displays  (Read 73114 times)

jistme

Besides on my 'normal' PC, I also have MB installed on a HTPC connected to my plasma screen in the living room.

I would very much like a kind of 'screensaver' playing mode layout showing only most relevant information and possibly albumart in a tasteful and not to distractful manner. With the option to be automaticly activated after a certain time of inactivity after pressing 'play'?

jbee

Definitely +1 on this one.

(I also think you should be able to trigger this "screensaver mode" from the View-menu, if you don't want to wait).

Steven

• Administrator

jistme

Not being anything of a designer, I did try and start to create something like this in foobar2000.

It looked something like this, and I combined it with a Windows screensaver called 'PowerDimmer'. It can dim the screen to a preset level after a preset time of inactivity. (like laptop screens, but slowly and not abruptly, very nice)

Rotem K.

My suggestion: http://i.imgur.com/ys7jh.jpg

Would be sweet if the background image could be set from the preferences menu.

And I would love to see this feature implemented, if any help with graphics is needed let me know.
Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 03:42:38 PM by Rotem K.

Steven

• Administrator
rotem, i do like that. I would need you to do the background image though (but it could also be user selectable if they want a different one to the default)

jbee

Yeah! This is absolutely brilliant! And I agree with Rotem and Steven; the background (image or color) should be user selectable, I assume this is very important since everyone have different resolutions on their desktops, hence the need for different resolution images?

EDIT: Rather than resolutions, people have different aspect ratios.

jistme

And an option for a fireplace video as background (with crackling sound)!
;D

Rotem K.

Yeah! This is absolutely brilliant! And I agree with Rotem and Steven; the background (image or color) should be user selectable, I assume this is very important since everyone have different resolutions on their desktops, hence the need for different resolution images?

EDIT: Rather than resolutions, people have different aspect ratios.

Right, Steven, what resolution / ratio do you need the background image to be?

Steven

• Administrator
Right, Steven, what resolution / ratio do you need the background image to be?
maybe 1280x960 but i guess for people with screens that are not 4:3 there will be some distortion.

jistme

As most full-hd panels, my plasma is also 1080p (1980x1080 pixels)

I found out that using Windows on this resolution from viewing distance is no joy at all, and almost impossible without binoculars, so my htpc is default set on 720p (1280x720) looking great.

For playing full hd movie content, the gain from 720p to 1080p is there, but in my opinion quite overrated.

Best thing would be to make it possible to choose or overrule the resolution. Computer displays will often have other resolutions AND ratio's.

(most of all very happy this idea is being picked-up so fast and enthusiastically!)