Author Topic: How to copy music into library?  (Read 18840 times)

Merlin123

Hi,

Maybe I'm just too blind....
I have mp3 files on several locations (e.g. internal/external HD, network drive, CDs...).
When I'm importing music (testet from the internal HD) musicbee moves the files from the source folder into the musicbee folder. But I don't want this... Musicbee should ALWAYS copy the files into the musicbee folder. How can I force this?

ma_t14

Maybe you have auto-organization enabled?  ::)

Edit>Preferences>Library>"automatically sweep and organize new files" checkbox

Merlin123

It was enabled....
To understand this feature:
I would like to have the following behavior:
Musicbee should copy all files into it's own folder and it the name should be changed into my choosen preference.

What settings should must I make?

ma_t14

I think currently copying the files is not possible. It was requested a number of times so hopefully it will be implemented at some point

ma_t14

But alternatively you can use this: right-click on selected files>Send To> Folder (Copy)>Copy files to organized folder.

Steven

• Administrator
having files copied in auto-organiser implies that MB would be keeping a synchronised copy of your library which is beyond the scope of what i intend for the auto-organiser. As ma_t14 says, you can manually do a organised file copy.
One way to achieve an automated solution is to set up a virtual device (right click on a root drive in the computer section) and have it synchronised like any device

Merlin123

To be honest, I don't understand what the problem is:
I just want to have a kind of import (like iTunes)
So musicbee only needs to import (copy) the files into its own filestructre...
This couldn't be a problem, could it?

But as long as it's not supported I will try the manuall way...  :(

Just offer a "import files/folder" option... Should be really easy to implement and there are more people who like to see it....

Steven

• Administrator
my understanding is when you enable auto-organise in iTunes, it moves files to the specified folder and organises the filenames according to the tags - just like musicbee does.
iTunes doesnt take a copy of them so you have one copy in its original location and another in the organised folder. Or is this a new feature i dont know about?
perhaps you simply want musicbee to hold an index of your files (so they remain where they were originally)? In that case just disable auto-organise in the library preferences

Merlin123

iTunes offers the possibility to import files and folders. (used it a few month ago, can't test it anymore)
I'm pretty sure.....

It copy the files...

paq

Then you could try this:

* Make sure the auto-organiser is disabled.
* Add all your music from your several different locations to Inbox simply by dragging them from windows explorer to Inbox in MusicBee.
* Select all tracks in Inbox, right-click and choose Send To > Folder (Copy) > Copy Files to Organised Folder
* Create a file naming preset so that all your files will be copied into a folder of your choice.
* Once copied, the tracks in Inbox should now be linked to your copies so you can now right-click and choose Send To > Music Library to remove them from your inbox view.

However if you don't need all your music collected and copied into one single folder, that is all your sources of music are always "up and running", you could just let MusicBee know where these files are by dragging them from windows explorer to the Music Library node.

Merlin123

Thanks for this tip.
I will try it during the day and give you feedback if this works as described.

Merlin123

OK...
Now I'm confused...
Yesday I've imported a big part of my music and it worked well. (source drive e:, library drive e:, too)
Today I've tried to import music from my local drive c:
So I've selected the folders and dragged them to my inbox and followed the rest of the instructions above.
There was a warning, that the filed needs to be moved to drive e: and I clicked "Yes". (Why should they be moved? Copying would be right)...
After sending them to the library I noticed, that musicbee didn't copy the files. The path still says "C:\..."

Any ideas what's going wrong?

EDIT:
Musicbee makes another strange thing:
The files I handled yesterday where copied into musicbees file structure. But the library point to the original source... Didn't notice that, because the path looks the same (e:\music, e:\musicbee) and the column was to narrow....
:(
Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:33:09 AM by Merlin123

Merlin123

Ok... Tried a differnent way:

I've enabled auto-organization and created a import folder. Than I've selected this as a monitored folder.
Now I'm copying the "new" songs in this folder an send them to the library. Than musicbee moved them from the import to the "normal" folders.

Works...
Not the best was, but it works.... ;)

EDIT:
OK...
Now I'm completly confused.
Musicbee copied the files from the import folder into its own folder structure.
BUT:
I can't find the songs in the library.
How could this happen?
Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 09:36:10 AM by Merlin123

Rodrigo87

Hello,

I have also problems to set the right settings to copy music from your computers drive (let say C:) to your library folder (say: E:\Music).
For example, in iTunes you have the option that when you add files to iTunes, it automatically copies them to the library folder of your choice.
In MusicBee i cant get it to work. The file is visual in the library, but still remaining in the original location (C:\)