Author Topic: So how big is your music library?  (Read 116553 times)

Fazer

Around 5500 curated tracks (55GB), no albums, EP's or compilations. This is done over 16 years which comes to around one track per day (after deleting).

I keep it as small as possible by regularly deleting tracks which are not great, when in doubt I try to remember that the music should convince me not the other way around. It's not only about having great tracks but keeping focus on them by weeding out the mediocre ones. It's easy to get attached to music files however ask yourself if you are actually making a collection which reflects of your taste or just hoarding files. My tracks are categorized into subgenre folders, then tagged for energy level and mood.
Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 03:46:31 PM by Fazer

Sir.V.007

• There is a song for every feeling and moment...
hi,

My MusicBee stats list:
11,521 tracks
906 albums
947.03GB
This does not include my multi-channel hi-res albums as they are not in my MusicBee Library as they take up unnecessary space on my laptop (2x 2TiB M.2 SSDs).

I have been using MusicBee for years but of late I have noticed issues with some of the source files getting corrupted.  Most of the size of my music is taken up by hi-res digital files up to DSD256 & PCM 24bit 384kHz resolution (CD's are 16bit 44.1kHz) including multi-channel digital tracks so some of the longer stereo (6 - 7mins) songs are over 1.5GiB each in size. Some multi-channel songs are over twice that size or more each & my DSD512 songs are large.

What I have noticed when sync'n files to devices such as DAP (digital audio player), phones, USB sticks etc. that from the source music library some files either zero out or corrupted (small file sizes of a few kb) & are no longer playable and will not sync to the device.

Fortunately, I have a full backups on 2x 2TiB SSD drives that have my files for playback via a Lumin T2 (when not using Roon to output to) Network Player or the Reavon UBR-X200 universal disc player for the multi-channel digital music. SO i can copy them back.

Has anyone else with large wav, flac or dsf file sizes or a large library have this issue? I believe it is a MusicBee issue but have not switched to any other hi-res player to determine if the issue goes away or not.

Not sure if it is a bug or something else. Some of the sites I purchase this music from (HDTracks) do not allow full access to all of my purchased files via downloads, so if I accidentally overwrite any files on the SSD with a corrupted source file I will have to buy the album again or have another SSD or storage purely for backup.

Cheers
Me.

Newyouth

My library:
12366 Album
189679 Tracks
15220.8 GB
 :)  :)  :)

zlurg

• A very clever text is waiting for you to decypher.

zlurg

• A very clever text is waiting for you to decypher.
Has anyone else with large wav, flac or dsf file sizes or a large library have this issue? I believe it is a MusicBee issue but have not switched to any other hi-res player to determine if the issue goes away or not.

I do, and the current issue seems to be the sleep timeout between the HDD and the SSD's read.  In my case at least, with MB on the SSD, and the library on the HDD, there's a few seconds gap when the playing song suddenly wakes up the disk.  May not be at all germane to you, but...there you have it.

Also, I came here to say this: there is no better music library-player for Windows than MusicBee.  I have 3 libraries, one for samples, one for audiobooks, and one for music, and the ability to switch between them is a gamechanger.  The only changes I'd make to MB are to documentation and the ability to script or build plugins a la Applescript for iTunes.  Even without those 2 things, MB is better than anything I've used in the past 10 years.

boroda

The only changes I'd make to MB are to documentation ...

the only problem is who would write this documentation? there is mb wiki, some forum members have applied many efforts in filling it, but it's somewhat outdated.

well, anybody can add to/correct the wiki. but it's offtopic here.

ChilaChill

HII kinda have been downloading music by a year and a half by now, just reached 1,000 albums so just wanted to share✨
♪. ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪.

Files

(mostly all 320kbps mp3)
Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 02:36:38 AM by ChilaChill

Skinjob

Almost 70k FLAC files - about 2TB
I find everything very fast and snappy

3dWrecker

FlacoTX

I have 2824 Albums, 24,821 tracks,  in my MusicBee library. It takes up 143 Gbytes on an SSD device, and runs without a glitch.

Doc Nice

Mine is 124gb with 20090 tracks. MusicBee works absolutely flawlessly.

No lags or anything. I've tried tonnes of other media programs, but, this is the best by far.
Life flows on within you & without you.

scorpion

I've only just started organizing my library, but I really have a lot of songs on discs, as well as on CDs. These are mainly maxi singles from the 80s, followed by the 90s.
I edit basic tags (artist, title, album, BPM...) in Tag&Rename (payable), because it perfectly finds everything on Discogs. In MB, I also add the genre, songwriters and the country from which the artist comes.
Most genres: disco, italo disco, eurodisco, synthpop, hi nrg.
Tracks (for now): 650
Albums (for now): 632
Size (for now): 9 GB - all mp3 320kbps
But the base will continue to grow enormously. I also fix the audio with adobe audition, so it goes more slowly. A lot of manual work, some automatic, but the program MB is really great for a music library. You just have to get to know him.

musicmafia

184,115 tracks, mostly FLAC, 13,156 albums, 4TB. I love MB even better than my old Winamp. Fast as hell and very customizable, with a little help from folks here in the forum.

Tried to post a screenshot but the usual Imgur links would not work.
Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 01:40:03 AM by musicmafia

MADBIKER1960

• Hello, I am a friendly knowledgeable guy.
I thought I had a lot of MP3s at 14 GB, but after reading the posts here I realize my collection is miniscule compared to some.

My collection  This link to Share-X does not work. (Am not sure if I have to be a member to post)

What I was attempting to post was a snapshot of my MP3 collection which has 1660 + in it.

Boy do I have a long way to go to get the collection some of you have. 8)
Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 04:40:36 PM by MADBIKER1960

jhowlett22

MusicBee often gets complements about how well it manages huge music collections. That made me wonder, how big a "big" real life music collection is and how well is one managed with MusicBee?

What is it like in terms of performance (delays, responsiveness etc) to have a huge library. Post about your experiences, positive or negative and maybe compare to other music players as well if you can.

So let me start, my library is is pretty small, just barely under 5k of mostly 320k mp3s with a few albums in flac as well. I didn't notice much of a difference regarding performance across the music players I tried (probably because of the size of my library). MusicBee is generally very snappy in its operation for me but I expect that to not hold true for much larger libraries.

Sounds like you've got a neat setup with your music collection! 5k songs is nothing to scoff at. It's cool that MusicBee handles it smoothly for you. I bet it's nice not having to worry about delays or glitches when you're jamming out. But yeah, I can see how things might change with a bigger library. It's all about finding the right balance between performance and size, isn't it?