Author Topic: iPod and Gapless Playback  (Read 25478 times)

drbeachboy

Does MB handle gapless playback with an iPod? I ask because I sent the Sgt. Pepper's album to my iPod from an image file with an embedded cuesheet to Lame mp3 vbr. I noticed a slight gap between the title song and With A Little Help from my Friends, also Good Morning, Good Morning and Sgt Pepper's (Reprise), and from there to A Day In The Life. I then went into iTunes and marked them as gapless and the slight gap went away. If MB is indeed gapless, how does it work, and do I need to do something similar as in iTunes to achieve gaplessness?

Maleko12

MB is not gapless, unfortunately. I've played Frances the Mute, and you can hear slight gaps in between parts that should be seamless. Having said that, I always thought that the iPod had gapless technology built-in.

Steven

• Administrator
i assume its mp3 files you are referring to - i gather iPods dont make use of the gapless data that the LAME encoder saves as i had thought and instead requires MB to set some extra file tags that the iPod can read.

drbeachboy

It looks like iTunes puts a "1" in the tag "COMMENT ITUNPGAP" when check boxing Gapless Playback.

Steven

• Administrator
ok thanks - i gather the iTunSMPB tag also has the gapless info needed but the only thing i need to find out is whether is also needs to be written to the iPod database

drbeachboy

Is there anything that I can send you from the iPod?

Steven

• Administrator
i think it should be ok as i can check on my iPod but if the version is too old it might be helpful for your  ipod_control\iTunes\iTunesDB
i'll try and spend some time on it this weekend