Author Topic: change file name when changing tag title  (Read 8315 times)

Debby747

Hi Steven,

For the time being, changing tag properties has no impact on file properties.
For example: changing a tag title does not rename the actual file name.
But most of the time, this should be the case (otherwise the user has to manually change both to keep them consistent).

I see a potential problem here, though, and a reason why I don't use the auto-organise feature
(I suppose auto-organise takes care of this feature request);
and this is how characters are fixed, when they are not compatible with OS naming standards -

dBpoweramp uses this scheme which I find very good:

:  is translated to  ;
  ?  is translated to  ¿
  /  is translated to  -
  "  is translated to  '

All these characters happen to be there all the time and have very logical counterparts.

Perhaps you might implement this table into MusicBee?
MB still exchanges these characters with space ( )...

I would love to use the auto-organise feature but as it is, I am afraid of it.
Perhaps you might even consider a [origfilename] flag, which allows for auto-sorting files into changed album-folders without re-naming them at all?

Best regards,
D.

Antonski

I don't see big difference between : and ; etc.
If this request would be implemented (although I don't see the reason), I would prefer it to be activated optionally.
I still prefer all non ascii characters to be ignored or replaced by space (or with underscore in my case) in the filename.
Just to be on the safe side.

Debby747

Antonski,

As you pointed out, the difference is that the colon : is an illegal character
and the semi-colon ; is perfectly valid, while retaining visual conformity.
If a tag title contains the colon, it has to be replaced by a valid character for the file-name.
Alright, we all know that.

The proposed characters are (as far as I know) valid on all platforms and logical substitutes,
so I don't know where you want to "be on the safe side".

Still, if this request was going to be implemented,
a simple option to "replace illegal characters with space" should be the lesser problem.
At least it would be self-explanatory to users, and they'd know what to expect from auto-organisation.

Consistency is important to me, not the illusion of organisation created by mere tag management.

Greetings,
D.

Steven

• Administrator
i dont have any problem with adding a user-definable mapping for each illegal char, configurable in the preferences screen - the default would be a space as the replacement char

Debby747

Steven,

you are amazing!
Without dividing users into nay- and yay-sayers, you simply provide the most simple and user-friendly solution!

Best regards,
D.

Steven

• Administrator

lsueirasb

Its possible to change file names from an album based on tags manually?

Greetings.

Steven

• Administrator
If i understand what you are asking correctly then yes - just highlight the file(s), click Tools/ Organise Files and then enter the file naming template you want to use. If its a new template it will get automatically added to the presets at the top of the screen and you can choose it again for other files as well.
MusicBee will show the new file names and click Proceed for the filenames to be changed

lsueirasb

Steven

• Administrator
one restriction i have in place with the current version is you cant organise files accross drives (reason being i dont want to have cases where someone runs out of space on the target drive half way through the operation).
So if your target folder is  c:\music
but the file resides on d:\ then you should see a status message beside the file saying its not located on the target drive and you cant select it.
Is that what you are seeing?

Steven

• Administrator
ok, just copy the file to your c: drive and then select it for organisation and it should be ok