Author Topic: Speak back - Give Musicbee a voice!  (Read 28736 times)

e-motiv

Description
Female voice audibly reporting rating changes and "Musicee launched". Meant to get audio feedback when Musicbee in background (with hotkeys).

Features
  • Start Musicbee or change a rating and just listen!
  • Bind a key to "Speak Rating" to hear the current rating
  • You can customize the audio files in the folder [Program Files]\MusicBee\Plugins\Speak Back
  • Reminds you to rate track if current playing one is not rated and about to end

Suggestions
Tell me what you would like to hear "her" say, or more. I'm glad to add features for other people.
---] http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=4941

Download
Speak Back 0.1.212 (2017-09-26)

Install
Extract the files to "Plugins" folder in your MusicBee Application folder.

Thanks
..to Steven, boroda74, Elberet and all others that helped me!

Changelog
2017-09-26
  • Track rating reminder
  • Added sound files for half ratings
  • Fixed some problems when current playing track is rated
2014-03-06
  • Says current rating without changing anything via hotkey!
  • Pauses itself when too many changes at once (Phew!)
  • Also shortcut with debug info (to test the async playing and pausing for too many changes at once)
2013-08-25
  • Says old rating now also. E.g. "Rating changed from 1 to 3".
  • Says "no rating" for no ratings. e.g. "Rating changed from no-rating to 5"
  • Says something funny when sound file not found
Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 06:15:27 PM by R U Bn ?
  Developing @ e-motiv.net       --       Musicbee plugins: Speak Back - Ghost Tracks - Radio Dig

OrB

changing rating to  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)
I would never think MusicBee has its own voice
Thank you

e-motiv

You're welcome!
  Developing @ e-motiv.net       --       Musicbee plugins: Speak Back - Ghost Tracks - Radio Dig

boroda

R U Bn, your plugin is not compatible with mine! :) changes saved, changes saved, changes saved....

Its even sounds bad when i'm trying to change track rating with 'calculate album rating when track rating have changed' option enabled, i don't speak about 'copy tag' at all :)

Steven, is it possible to differentiate somehow manual/interactive changing of tags and changing using API?

P.S. Nice plugin.

e-motiv

Right!  I didn't think of multi-track-changing.
Wouldn't it be better that, on Notification, it can be retrieved somehow that more than 1 song "is about to be changed"?

boroda74, That would also make it work with your plugin, right?  So, that there is only 1 notification at the end of all changes (or none)?

I am also thinking of Musicbee's own multi-changing possibilities (now and in the future). It  gives the same problem already.
That's why I think the "multi"-approach is better then the manual/interactive/API differentiation, if I understood the latter right.

Though I figure that then plugins will have to tell Musicbee themselves that more tracks "are going to be changed". 
Maybe an API multi-change function (via a collection, List, Dictionary or array with sourcefiles and desired changes) would cover that? (That can be handy anyway, right?) (Or similar, but via callback. Or even better multi-changing API support.)

Anyway, Steven? *shout*  ;)

P.S. Thanks, boroda74.
Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 10:20:47 AM by R U Bn ?

e-motiv

e-motiv

Updated! Check initial post.

boroda74,
since Steven appears to be too busy, I have made a timer that pauses Speakback when too many changes at once. Can you check if this plugin is now compatible with yours?
If not you can send me the debug info you can get by making a hotkey for "Speak Back -Show debug trace". (Also you can copy dialogs text via CTRL-C.)

e-motiv

Thanks.
I'll hear you when I'll hear you.   ;)

boroda

Your modifications are great. I hear "Too many changes, speak back paused"/"Speak back unpaused" when trying to do any bulk operation in my plugin.

BTW, I think its a bad idea to include version info in plugin filename, because MB behaves unstably when there are several plugins with the same internal name.

e-motiv

Your modifications are great. I hear "Too many changes, speak back paused"/"Speak back unpaused" when trying to do any bulk operation in my plugin.
Great!  And you do mean that she unpauses only after the bulk operation is done, right?
(For the record: She pauses after more than 1 changes in a different file after 0.5 s and unpauses after 10 sec. without changes. I hope I guessed the right timings.)
BTW, I think its a bad idea to include version info in plugin filename, because MB behaves unstably when there are several plugins with the same internal name.
You mean that if for example there would be a "Speak Back 1.3.dll" and a "Speak back 1.4.dll" with the same api name they won't overwrite after an update?  I never thought about it; I will change it then and put this on the developer wiki.  Could you just confirm (or elaborate), please? Thanks.

boroda

Great!  And you do mean that she unpauses only after the bulk operation is done, right?
As far as I tested - yes.

You mean that if for example there would be a "Speak Back 1.3.dll" and a "Speak back 1.4.dll" with the same api name they won't overwrite after an update?
Yes, exactly. There will be two plugins with the same display name and plugin initialization will be unpredictable.

e-motiv

New version released. See original, top post for download.
Has some minor bugs with now playing tracks if you don't have the latest Musicbee patch of september 2017*, but nothing destructive.
* I'm guessing 3.1.6480

Ontanium

Can we change the volume/add our own sounds easily? I'm assuming I just have to change the sound files in the plugin folder.

e-motiv

Can we change the volume/add our own sounds easily?I'm assuming I just have to change the sound files in the plugin folder.
You assume right. Just replace the files with the same names.
Volume: Planned next version. It's bugging me too. I'm even planning to make its volume setting relative to the playback setting. (But it could take a while: I have a zillion free digital projects  :-X  AND currently addicted to video games  :-[  and eco-travelling  8) . But I'll try to make an effort after your post.)