Author Topic: Cataloging and playing DSD files  (Read 63673 times)

frankcreed

Hi Steven,

Same white noise problem with DSD file - version 5437.  sigh...

Steven

• Administrator
that was the last of my ideas. Unless the bass developer himself comes back and says its something he has done wrong, the native dsd support is now be removed ie, will play as PCM

frankcreed

I really appreciate all your efforts - at least we'll be able to recognize and manage DSD files...

Storris

Hi Steven,

Thanks for this.  currently playing .dff with no problems.  Only Pcm I take it, but I don't have to use WMP anymore!
Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 02:59:34 PM by Storris

steveoat

Bass has posted an update to the DSD add-on

www.un4seen.com/stuff/bassdsd.zip (updated: 11 Dec '14)

Would this solve the problem?

Steven

• Administrator
i am aware of the update but i have spent a lot of time already on trying to get DSD files to play natively (they should work fine output as PCM) so at the moment i am not willing to do anything more

Leroy Bad

i am aware of the update but i have spent a lot of time already on trying to get DSD files to play natively (they should work fine output as PCM) so at the moment i am not willing to do anything more

Well I certainly appreciate your efforts. I didn't know MusicBee was supporting DSD until a little while ago.  Perhaps easier implementation methods can be discovered in the future (I hope). As for PCM conversions as someone mentioned does sorta defeat the purpose of DSD. But for the sake of convenience its still nice to have. Perhaps though more sample rate options could be added for those who have the hardware. 176.4khz (SACD) & 352khz (DXD) just to keeps things to highest standard currently available.
Again thanks for adding the support. I will be showing my appreciation with a donation.

wout31

My testing gives following results:
Playing of DSD files is done correct. The DAC has a color LED to indicate played modus. The color information is correct for the format played.

Information of DSD file is not correct I think. I thought it would display sample rates in the mHz range.

Display in MB for DSD 64, 128 and 256 all 88 kHz sample rate. Next the kbps indication is different for these 3 formats.
For the same track these are the numbers:
DSD 64: DSF 88kHz 5456k
DSD 128: DSF 88 KhZ 11290K
DSD 256: DSF 88 kHz 22580k
I also tested DXD 24 bit 352 kHz This plays correct and gives correct information
Also with the same track
DXD: FLAC 352 kHz 11094k
I used the top track from this list http://www.2l.no/hires/ because it is available in all formats.

Reagrds

Jos Wouters

frankcreed

Hi Joe,

MusicBee converts DSD to 88.2khz PCM, as you have noted.  MB does not support native DSD - maybe Steven will consider supporting DoP (DSD over PCM) in the future????

Leroy Bad

I'm not sure what wout31 is trying to say by "Playing of DSD files is done correct", as its definitely not a native transport to the DAC.
But frankcreed is right, that DoP is another good alternative.

Leroy Bad

A year later. I'm wonder if there has been or will be any further improvements to DSD support?

Steven

• Administrator
I am willing to spend time on this again. Anyone who has a device with native DSP support, please let me know they can test this

Hiatus

I am willing to spend time on this again. Anyone who has a device with native DSP support, please let me know they can test this

Hi,

I have just got the Xduoo ta-10, which I think qualifies to test DSD playback, and I am willing to help you testing this feature.
As I can see, SACD files are mostly available in ISO format.
I am using now the new windows USB 2.0 audio driver, I am not sure if that supports native DSD playback.

ChilliMeat

Hello Steven, I can test the DSD files on TEAC AI-301DA. In latest version of MusicBee (3.1.6512) the DSD files are converted to 88,2kHz. In TEAC HR Audio Player it plays natively in ex. 2,8Mhz.

Steven

• Administrator
Great. I'll look to have something ready for testing by the end of the weekend.

While i think of it, when testing you should not have any equaliser or DSP plugin enabled as that will alter the data sent. So in that case MB disables DSD raw mode.
Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 11:28:37 AM by Steven