Author Topic: Delay when dragging album art to now playing list...  (Read 3445 times)

ma_t14

I searched everywhere but I couldn't find the original thread where this feature was originally requested. In album & track view currently when you drag an album picture from the main panel to the now playing list it adds the corresponding album songs there. That is great but there is a slight delay before you can drag the artwork, I think Steven you said you will have another look at this in the future. It's just a minor annoyance but I was just wondering if you found any solution...

richardap1

Isn't there an issue with a delay being needed to decide if a right click is coming or it's accidentally been clicked on?

ma_t14

Isn't there an issue with a delay being needed to decide if a right click is coming or it's accidentally been clicked on?

No. You left click on the artwork, that selects the included tracks...

richardap1

Just because the items have been selected via a left click on the artwork doesn't mean there is no right click on its way. Also tiny delay stops any accidental movement. The only reason i bring this is I was reading about it with regards to Windows tablets vs Ipads and the apparent responsiveness of Ipad's due to only having a select, no right click option, and it seemed to fit in this case.

ma_t14

There is a delay when you want to drag. It is a known issue(!) so I don't know what you are trying to prove here.

So according to what you say you click on an album artwork and you start dragging. Have you ever in your life pressed the right and left mouse buttons while you were dragging something??? I thought so....  :-\

richardap1

I'm not trying to prove anything. I was just offering up a guess. I'm obviously not Steven. 
But I think you miss understand me. I wasn't talking about right clicking while dragging an item, like you said when have you ever tried that. I was talking about initiating the drag of the item.  From what I understood when you click and hold on an item (getting ready for dragging it) there is a delay while windows decided if you actually intend to drag the item or if you have held the mouse down by mistake.
My initial post was intended to be more of a "I wonder if.......", which may or may not have come across.

ma_t14

From what I understood when you click and hold on an item (getting ready for dragging it) there is a delay while windows decided if you actually intend to drag the item or if you have held the mouse down by mistake

You understood right. At least we are on the same page  :P But...

You say "windows decided". Can you then give an example where this happens? Because you make it sound like its the standard behaviour while it is not. There should be no delay, that is the standard behaviour in windows explorer and everywhere else. Actually the original suggestion came from a similar feature in MediaMonkey. There was no intension from Steven to include such a delay, but if I have to guess the current implementation has some limitation that forces this behaviour

richardap1

Like I mention it came back to something I was reading on a comparison between windows and IOS and the apparent responsiveness.  While true that effect isn't obvious in windows explorer or at not to a noticeable degree, at the back of my head I was thinking that it maybe a compounded effect where something in the implementation + standard (I think Standard) windows behaviour was causing a more noticeable delay.  Again i full expect Steven to come along and say "Nope nothing to do with that"

I can't find the actual article i was reading but this one is close enough and whiles it about tablets it is still ref'ing Win7

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/intel-windows-7-tablets-can-outperform-ipad-2-961563

"The iPad has a reaction time of around 15 milliseconds, so you barely notice the lag between moving your finger and the screen moving. In Windows tablets programmers have been unable to get the response time below 200ms.

Essentially it's all down to the fact Windows is a mouse-centric OS. The reason the 200ms time has become a barrier is because that's the amount of time the OS waits before executing a single click order.

Why? Because it needs to wait around to see if there's going to be a second click..."