Author Topic: Support Album Art Exchange for covers  (Read 12985 times)

butler360

They have only high-quality covers starting at a minimum of 600px. They're my preferred source for covers and it would be great to see it supported in musicbee. I don't know if this would help, but there's already a script for it in this open-source program: http://sourceforge.net/projects/album-art/

Steven

• Administrator

Steven

• Administrator
actually this has been very simple to implement so if you want to try it out let me know otherwise it will be in this weekends update. You are right about the quality - its very good, although the images are very large.
I am thinking i might disable it by default for that reason though but anyone can easily enable it in the Services preferences

butler360

Debby747

Wow!
Another great addition to MusicBee. I have until now used another program to download album art
and it's so much more convenient to have everything in one place - MusicBee!

Thank you.
D.

Steven

• Administrator
i'm posting a fix for bulter360 shortly and that will also include the option to download from albumartexchange if you want to try it (but you need to enable it in Preferences/Services/ retrieve Album Artwork from ...)

Also for the weekend i will add one or two more providers
and with the interactive autotagger, or when right click/ search internet, when the save artwork confirmation dialog opens i will allow you to choose the best picture amongst the various sources

Maleko12

I LOVE this service! This will be yet another great inclusion to MB. I can't believe how fast this media player has grown in less than a year! ;D

Steven

• Administrator
its in the latest link from the 1.1 beta topic

- new artwork sources: albumartexchange.com and freecovers.com
- new preference to enable and specify the priority sequence for retrieving artwork and lyrics (Preferences/ Services). Note the albumartexchange and freecovers.com are not enabled by default.
- new picture selector with 'search internet' and interactive autotagging - allows you to select the best picture from all the enabled artwork sources. Note that you need to have 'confirm options when adding artwork' enabled in the Tags preferences screen for the dialog to appear.

scottrobb

I am the owner of AlbumArtExchange.com and I do not recall your asking whether you may include automated searches of my site in your product.  Please immediately remove AlbumtArtExchange.com searchability from Music Bee.  I do not authorize ANY backdoor access to my site.  I need for users to come in through the front and that way, the contributers get the page views and votes and I might get a chance to pay for the site.

its in the latest link from the 1.1 beta topic

- new artwork sources: albumartexchange.com and freecovers.com
- new preference to enable and specify the priority sequence for retrieving artwork and lyrics (Preferences/ Services). Note the albumartexchange and freecovers.com are not enabled by default.
- new picture selector with 'search internet' and interactive autotagging - allows you to select the best picture from all the enabled artwork sources. Note that you need to have 'confirm options when adding artwork' enabled in the Tags preferences screen for the dialog to appear.

butler360

When I made this request, your site was included in the Album Art Downloader program, so I assumed it was OK to add here. So it wasn't meant to be a malicious backdoor to the site. I do understand, though, that you need to make money to cover the cost of the site.

But, just a question, does the site have to be fully removed? Could it possibly just return a result that confirms the artwork is on the site without showing the image or allowing it to be downloaded? Now that your site is removed from Album Art Downloader and will be removed from MusicBee, I'd be unlikely to manually visit your site just to check for artwork. I appreciate the quality of the scans, but without a convenient search that at least confirms if the cover is on the site or not I'm unlikely to use it at all. And having it in the program would no doubt increase exposure of your site (I never knew about it until Album Art Downloader, myself).

By the way, I have no affiliation with MusicBee, I'm just a user. I don't even know if Steven would want to have one engine that doesn't return art and only return a yes or no.

scottrobb

When I made this request, your site was included in the Album Art Downloader program, so I assumed it was OK to add here. So it wasn't meant to be a malicious backdoor to the site. I do understand, though, that you need to make money to cover the cost of the site.

Yes, Album Art Downloader was using an AAX API.  I asked the author to remove it months ago and he complied.  The original owner of the site posted an API but that was way back when we first started out and it was hosted on his home machine. We had maybe 3k covers and a max of 6 users online at a time back then.   I took over the site some 19 months ago.  Now, we are growing exponentially and have had to move to a dedicated server.  The only way I have of keeping the site alive is with some revenue through user sales.  Sad but, reality.  I refuse to plaster advertising all over the place like some sites so, this is the alternative. 

Back door traffic is about 20% of our total bandwidth and this has to change.  Also, we are initiating some changes in the coming week that should throw a wrench programs like this as well as off-site downloading software.  Glad you understand that I am not just trying to be a jerk about it.

As far as "malicious",  I'm sure that 99% are just trying to download in what they perceive to be an easier way. OTOH, there are wholesale downloading attempts all if the time which is why I do not authorize software such as this program and need to route them through the front so that it is easier to monitor; that's Webmaster SOP for security.  More importantly: Many of our submissions are worked on very hard by their contributors and they deserve the view count and votes.

But, just a question, does the site have to be fully removed? Could it possibly just return a result that confirms the artwork is on the site without showing the image or allowing it to be downloaded? Now that your site is removed from Album Art Downloader and will be removed from MusicBee, I'd be unlikely to manually visit your site just to check for artwork. I appreciate the quality of the scans, but without a convenient search that at least confirms if the cover is on the site or not I'm unlikely to use it at all. And having it in the program would no doubt increase exposure of your site (I never knew about it until Album Art Downloader, myself).

No offense and pardon my hubris but, we’re probably going to have it and there are only what, two other real choices?  I’ve got about 75, 000 tracks all filled with artwork that is on AAX.  If we don’t have it choice #2 quality wise is ACDC and if THEY don’t have it, Amazon.   Yes, it’s nice to be able to do this from one spot but there is no cheap and easy way for us to let just SOME of the programs in and the programming changes that are coming will probably make software like this ineffective for accessing the site, anyway.  Perhaps in the future, we could modify and distribute an API that only allows thumbnails like ACDC’s.  I am willing to do that at a later date (I already have a lot of upcoming projects for my programmer. ).

Hopefully, the exposure aspect will work itself out over time,  Now that we have moved to larger quarters, I am about to enter another phase of a multi-phased SEO scheme which should greatly improve our exposure.

Cheers,
Scott

Steven

• Administrator
A personal message was all that was required scott - using language like "backdoor" and "malicous" in a public forum is smearing and inflammatory

scottrobb

Sorry, I was not certain whether you were active, the owner of the program or just the author or web master.  I do NOT want this sort of thing out there and should not have to dig around to find all of this out.  I shouldn't even be in the position to have to ask you.  I am doing it both ways for legal reasons as well.

Reading it again, you can see that I was not the one who used the word malicious.  The only context that it was used in was saying that your program was NOT malicious.  Backdoor, I stand by as it is analgous - You are not using the recognized point of entry and path through the site and are going the other way around to access the images only and directly - backdoor is a common term for this sort of access.

A personal message was all that was required scott - using language like "backdoor" and "malicous" in a public forum is smearing and inflammatory
Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 04:43:43 PM by scottrobb